Personal Shootout This Weekend

57 replies to this topic
  • 917 rider

Posted October 22, 2007 - 01:16 PM

go check the honda forum ummmmmmmmm i wonder why every body is talking about valves:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2007 - 01:20 PM

go check the honda forum ummmmmmmmm i wonder why every body is talking about valves:banghead:

Check the Honda forum and you may notice that their valve troubles seem to have ended at the '06 model year. 4 years late, but apparently corrected, nevertheless.

• 917 rider

Posted October 22, 2007 - 03:50 PM

Check the Honda forum and you may notice that their valve troubles seem to have ended at the '06 model year. 4 years late, but apparently corrected, nevertheless.

the honda is a great bike but the unicam is just not as good as the others 03-04-05-06-07-08---------------the first thing honda owners should do is buy kibble white valves,the yamaha a pipe.I will take the pipe.ive been the other way.all i do in my free time is ride and talk to people at the track and most would agree if you love hondas you will try to deny it:mad: but deep down your hating getting your valves checked every two months:cry:

• Mike546

Posted October 22, 2007 - 04:20 PM

And why is a unicam not as good?

• todds924

Posted October 22, 2007 - 04:29 PM

I have both 07 and 08 yz450f both bikes have full pro-action front and rear the 07 has the 24mm off set clamps, the only diffrence is the 08 has sub tanks on the forks . the 08 has more power an is smoother puttin it to the ground . the 08 turn s way better than the 07 . sag is very ,very important on the set up of the 08 . just a small adjustment gose along way. the 08 turns so much better on flat ground and drop in ruts better an feel lighter in the air . i do wish it had a bit more bottom but that a simple fix . an both bikes are rock solid at high speed .

What are you running your sag at on the 08?

• todds924

Posted October 22, 2007 - 04:35 PM

the honda is a great bike but the unicam is just not as good as the others 03-04-05-06-07-08---------------the first thing honda owners should do is buy kibble white valves,the yamaha a pipe.I will take the pipe.ive been the other way.all i do in my free time is ride and talk to people at the track and most would agree if you love hondas you will try to deny it:mad: but deep down your hating getting your valves checked every two months:cry:

Once you go and check your valves on the Honda, and find they need to be re-shimmed? Its already to late!!!!!! Mite as well go ahead and have the valve job done because the valves are already beat up and dished and re-shimming will only last a couple rides. I have a Honda wall of shame in my garage, At least 20 sets of dished Honda valves from friends bikes. Compared to maybe one set each for Yz's and KX-F's, And those weren't even dished out.

• 917 rider

Posted October 22, 2007 - 05:34 PM

And why is a unicam not as good?

they are not dependable period :thumbsdn:but if people dont mind what the heck just hope you got plenty of money for them head jobs:p honda-7000 yamaha-7000 not having to do valve jobs priceless:ride:

• 917 rider

Posted October 22, 2007 - 05:36 PM

Once you go and check your valves on the Honda, and find they need to be re-shimmed? Its already to late!!!!!! Mite as well go ahead and have the valve job done because the valves are already beat up and dished and re-shimming will only last a couple rides. I have a Honda wall of shame in my garage, At least 20 sets of dished Honda valves from friends bikes. Compared to maybe one set each for Yz's and KX-F's, And those weren't even dished out.

:crazy: :D :applause: :bonk: B) B) B)

• cablemonkey334

Posted October 22, 2007 - 06:33 PM

:crazy: 95 on the sag with 20mm of static sag

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2007 - 07:41 PM

they are not dependable period :thumbsdn:but if people dont mind what the heck just hope you got plenty of money for them head jobs:p honda-7000 yamaha-7000 not having to do valve jobs priceless:ride:

No one thinks more of YZF's than I do. And before the new 450 came out my son, who does not like the older YZ450's at all, was resigned to the fact the he could either keep his 250F, or ride a YZ250, but I was not going to own a CRF.

But, let's be accurate. It's all too shamefully true that the CRF has a self made reputation as a valve eater, and also true that there is no excuse either for having it be like that in the first place, or for having taken 4 years to fix it. It isn't rocket science, and it has nothing to do with the YZ's 5 valve head, or Honda's UniCam. But it does seem from the record accumulated by the '06 an later models as if they finally got their head out of ...wherever it was, and put the whole messy thing behind them. The '06 and later CRF's just don't go through valves like they once did. You can't compare your '04 to the new ones. Sorry.

• Kasjok

Posted October 22, 2007 - 08:45 PM

I have read an article where was said that Honda`s 2006 models had new valve seats. Maybe this is the reason.

• busted bones

Posted October 22, 2007 - 09:23 PM

heres a secret to riding 450s: if it feels like your arms will be ripped out, hit the weights. 5 years of weight lifting and conditioning have made it so im not afraid to throw any bike even 500s. heres the secret to hondas: take the titanium valves out and put ss ones in when you have problems(will outlast a yz if you get quality ones). after riding both bone stock the 08 yz450 feels somewhere between an xr and the crf. right about mid point between them. i prefer my 02 yz250 smoker over the 08 yz thumper

• 917 rider

Posted October 22, 2007 - 11:07 PM

im not just comparing the 04 but it doesnt matter anyways they have let me down to many times.your probaly right the 06 and up might be better then again the 2010 will be better to. I still wont buy one i dont care how good they are supposed to be.keep having the same bad nightmare so maybe my opinion is bias sorry for the rant, ill try not to think back, and keep positive:ride:

• vpmx

Posted October 23, 2007 - 09:46 AM

I still have half the adults on our team riding YZ450F's for 2008, so I am not abandoning camp here. I'll definitely report back honestly if any of the Honda's have reliability issues. I know one thing, the performance and handling is well worth the prospect of an increase in maintenance IMO. You can't put a price on the feeling of a perfect motocross bike right out of the box or a holeshot like this one I got at Pleasure Valley in the 30+ class. BTW - I'm the middle Honda CRF450R.

Posted Image

• matts06yzf

Posted October 23, 2007 - 04:57 PM

I still have half the adults on our team riding YZ450F's for 2008, so I am not abandoning camp here. I'll definitely report back honestly if any of the Honda's have reliability issues. I know one thing, the performance and handling is well worth the prospect of an increase in maintenance IMO. You can't put a price on the feeling of a perfect motocross bike right out of the box or a holeshot like this one I got at Pleasure Valley in the 30+ class. BTW - I'm the middle Honda CRF450R.

Posted Image

you got that holeshot bc I see no yamahas, Get your wrench ready:bonk:

By the way I am riding all day tomorrow with Ryan Smith at Lake sugatree, I will have some good pics Im sure Just me and him. Hes going to smoke me:rant:

• vpmx

Posted October 23, 2007 - 05:21 PM

you got that holeshot bc I see no yamahas, Get your wrench ready:bonk:

By the way I am riding all day tomorrow with Ryan Smith at Lake sugatree, I will have some good pics Im sure Just me and him. Hes going to smoke me:rant:

Good try - there are 6 YZ450F's in that race - 2 blue one's with the riders in blue helmets right behind us and the Yellow 2006 SE #11 is visible. I admitted earlier that I got holeshots all the time with my '07 YZ450F as well. It's all in the reaction time and full committment. BTW - those two blue Yami's beat me to the finish on the last lap - I'm an older 43 just having fun as long as I can.

We had a team school this summer with Gary Bailey and Ryan Smith at Lake Sugartree. He is fast and you will have a blast. Don't let his "Honda CRF450R" roost you too bad :-). BTW - at the MD State Championships at Budds Creek, Nick Evennou's Yamaha YZ450F's motor locked up on him landing from a jump during Saturday's race. He only got to race the 250F on Sunday. Keep safe and show the pics.

• mxmax

Posted November 08, 2007 - 06:21 PM

Hey Matt , may I ask how tall are you , I just upgrade to a YZ450F 2008 from Honda CRF250R 2005 ... YAM handling is fantastic , I mean I felt confident right away , I just feel the bike a smaller than honda , I'm 6.2 200lbs .

• matts06yzf

Posted November 09, 2007 - 06:20 AM

Hey Matt , may I ask how tall are you , I just upgrade to a YZ450F 2008 from Honda CRF250R 2005 ... YAM handling is fantastic , I mean I felt confident right away , I just feel the bike a smaller than honda , I'm 6.2 200lbs .

I am 6'4 Tall seat and bars and Im fine. All in what you are used to I guess

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.