Personal Shootout This Weekend

57 replies to this topic
  • vpmx

Posted October 11, 2007 - 12:44 PM

You guys know I have been personally racing Yamaha the last couple years. I did not see the need (yet) to upgrade to the 2008 Yamaha after I already have done everything possible to my 2007 YZ450F and it is sweet. I had to get a new 2008, so after doing my homework, I went with the Honda and will let you know how they compare. Just picked it up yesterday and only had time for graphics, pegs and a new Yoshimura pipe. Racing at Budds Creek for the MD State Championships and will test them on Friday and race the winner over the weekend. I'll report back next week.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Mutu

Posted October 11, 2007 - 03:51 PM

Sweet!

So it'll be '07 YZ450 vs '08 CR450R then?

I'm interested in how the '08 CR450R compares also. Make sure you compare ergo's and seat height for me too!

• matts06yzf

Posted October 11, 2007 - 04:33 PM

Go RYAN SMITH FROM AXTON VA, A CLASS 250 and 125 hes 16 and thats David Baileys nephew and a friend of mind kid fast.:confused:

• rickallen124

Posted October 11, 2007 - 09:14 PM

That would be a good comparision. It'll be interesting to hear the results.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 12, 2007 - 01:00 PM

and the motor coach ain't too shabby either.....:crazy:

I think the Honda is a great bike for 2008.....you did not make a bad decision....yes I still like Yamis:thumbsup:

• AnotherRedHead

Posted October 13, 2007 - 08:37 AM

Yeah, Im doing something similar. I have an 06 honda 450, RHC head, 187 cam, hi comp piston, motor puts out 56rwhp, excel wheels, talon hubs, factory connection works kitted susp, 22mm offset clamps, scotts low mount steering stabilizer, pretty much an 08 honda on steriods with the best susp you can get.

So I went with the 08 yamihahah yesterday, blue one :crazy: Havent even rode it yet....but I'll let ya guys know how the two compare.

Here's the honda, you guys know what a bone stock 08 yami looks like. Too bad the whitebros Ti Pro isnt gonna be out for another month....

Posted Image

• vpmx

Posted October 15, 2007 - 01:27 AM

What a fun weekend! Budds is a great track. Ryan Smith was very fast going 5/3 for 4th overall 250A.

I race 30+ and 40+ B, so this is not a pro rider review. I have been racing on and off since 1975 and raced 125/250 A back in the early 1980's before college and family. The Honda won my shootout and was the bike I raced on. Here's why:

The Yamaha is like an old friend. Easy to ride, does not do much wrong, is very stable on the straights and has an automotive type motor in that it has a smooth and long powerband. The Yamaha is more designed for multi-purpose use and vet riders in my opinion. It's hard to get in trouble and make a mistake on the Yamaha.

The Honda is like a thoroughbred motocross racer. This bike has cutting edge handling that is borderline hyper. Just think where you want to put the bike and it turns so sharp that the Yamaha feels longer and slower in comparison. Don't get me wrong - I love my Yamaha and spent countless hours getting it to turn much better than stock (Applied 24mm, raise the forks, sag setting, great front rubber, etc....). I'm telling you, there is no comparison to how well the Honda cuts turns. The bike has a very flat profile that is easy to slide around on. The seat height is 37.6" compared to 38.9" for the Yamaha. I'm 6'0" and 190 lbs. The bike jumps front end very light and leans with very good angles in sweeping turns. The Honda is not as stable down fast straights, but the trade off for 100% motocross racing is worth it. It is easier to stand up on the Honda and ride over the bars (ski jump stlye) and I was much more aggresive on the Honda. The suspension is really stiff until it breaks in. I ran the compression very soft.

The motor was totally mind blowing and I can't stop thinking about it. It feels like I'm kicking over a 125 two stroke in comparison to the Yamaha. It starts one kick. I am a naturally good starter and pretty much holeshot all the time on my Yamaha using 2nd gear to start and shifting to 3rd letting it wind out to the first turn. The Honda has more beef and pulls like a freight train. Budds used the old start which has about a 100 yard straight that sweeps to a tight right hand, quick left hand switchback. I put the Honda in 2nd gear and had trouble keeping the front end down for the entire straight. I pulled two monster holeshots without ever shifting into 3rd. The bike pulls hard and keeps pulling into a freakishly scary top end rush that had me shifting up on the straights just to calm it down and save energy. The Honda with only a Yoshimura pipe and non-oxygenated fuel was running much stronger than my mod Yamaha on VP U4.2 (which allows the Yamaha to feel like a top fuel dragster on top compared to regular fuel). I won't bother buying that fuel on the Honda. In fact, I won't touch this motor in fear of ruining a good thing.

I feel like a kid again. I did not love my YZ450F at first. I was coming off of 2 strokes, a 2004 Service Honda CR500AF limited edition and a 2006 Yamaha YZ250. Once I got the YZ450F to handle properly and turn, I started riding much better. The rest of this year convinced me that I was going faster with less effort on a 4 stroke. The Honda handles so much better with little setup giving the bike a great first impression. For pure motocross - I can't imagine a better bike.

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted October 15, 2007 - 04:11 AM

Sounds like you had a great weekend.I too was impressed with the HONDA.Wait till you throw a leg over the RMZ.
It sure is nice to have all these options.Thanks for the report and good luck.:crazy:

• Ga426owner

Posted October 15, 2007 - 05:15 AM

What a fun weekend! Budds is a great track. Ryan Smith was very fast going 5/3 for 4th overall 250A.

I race 30+ and 40+ B, so this is not a pro rider review. I have been racing on and off since 1975 and raced 125/250 A back in the early 1980's before college and family. The Honda won my shootout and was the bike I raced on. Here's why:

The Yamaha is like an old friend. Easy to ride, does not do much wrong, is very stable on the straights and has an automotive type motor in that it has a smooth and long powerband. The Yamaha is more designed for multi-purpose use and vet riders in my opinion. It's hard to get in trouble and make a mistake on the Yamaha.

The Honda is like a thoroughbred motocross racer. This bike has cutting edge handling that is borderline hyper. Just think where you want to put the bike and it turns so sharp that the Yamaha feels longer and slower in comparison. Don't get me wrong - I love my Yamaha and spent countless hours getting it to turn much better than stock (Applied 24mm, raise the forks, sag setting, great front rubber, etc....). I'm telling you, there is no comparison to how well the Honda cuts turns. The bike has a very flat profile that is easy to slide around on. The seat height is 37.6" compared to 38.9" for the Yamaha. I'm 6'0" and 190 lbs. The bike jumps front end very light and leans with very good angles in sweeping turns. The Honda is not as stable down fast straights, but the trade off for 100% motocross racing is worth it. It is easier to stand up on the Honda and ride over the bars (ski jump stlye) and I was much more aggresive on the Honda. The suspension is really stiff until it breaks in. I ran the compression very soft.

The motor was totally mind blowing and I can't stop thinking about it. It feels like I'm kicking over a 125 two stroke in comparison to the Yamaha. It starts one kick. I am a naturally good starter and pretty much holeshot all the time on my Yamaha using 2nd gear to start and shifting to 3rd letting it wind out to the first turn. The Honda has more beef and pulls like a freight train. Budds used the old start which has about a 100 yard straight that sweeps to a tight right hand, quick left hand switchback. I put the Honda in 2nd gear and had trouble keeping the front end down for the entire straight. I pulled two monster holeshots without ever shifting into 3rd. The bike pulls hard and keeps pulling into a freakishly scary top end rush that had me shifting up on the straights just to calm it down and save energy. The Honda with only a Yoshimura pipe and non-oxygenated fuel was running much stronger than my mod Yamaha on VP U4.2 (which allows the Yamaha to feel like a top fuel dragster on top compared to regular fuel). I won't bother buying that fuel on the Honda. In fact, I won't touch this motor in fear of ruining a good thing.

I feel like a kid again. I did not love my YZ450F at first. I was coming off of 2 strokes, a 2004 Service Honda CR500AF limited edition and a 2006 Yamaha YZ250. Once I got the YZ450F to handle properly and turn, I started riding much better. The rest of this year convinced me that I was going faster with less effort on a 4 stroke. The Honda handles so much better with little setup giving the bike a great first impression. For pure motocross - I can't imagine a better bike.

nice write up - seems to emulate what I am hearing about the Honda...a nice ride this year:thumbsup:

• GENE426

Posted October 15, 2007 - 05:26 AM

Glad to hear that am thinking of getting a 07 crf450 from a friend and selling my 04 yz450
he never rode the thing and his 08 came in early so i think I'll pic it up

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Climber

Posted October 15, 2007 - 07:57 AM

...wish i made more money...

riding new bikes with no money to purchase them is like being married but hanging out at the strip club...not a good idea...

• AnotherRedHead

Posted October 18, 2007 - 04:11 PM

i feel the opposite my 08 yami rips the motor is smoother than the honda, better power delivery and the susp, man the front end hooks in flat turns like no other!

• pba123

Posted October 18, 2007 - 05:00 PM

The decision between an 08 crf450 and an 08 yz450f is such a hard one to make:rant: :crazy:

• 917 rider

Posted October 18, 2007 - 05:34 PM

i to had a honda once and after several valve jobs and a blown motor i now bleed blue my 04 honda had a rpms ice cube 500 kit kibble white valves pretty much everything and my 08 yz 450 is much faster

• emxdad

Posted October 19, 2007 - 08:40 AM

Hey the bike looks awsome...:crazy: What is the name and make of the frame guards you are using?

emxdad..

• AnotherRedHead

Posted October 19, 2007 - 09:55 AM

The decision between an 08 crf450 and an 08 yz450f is such a hard one to make:rant: :crazy:

get the yami. it feels like a 250f. The honda is a bad ass bike, but its way more chuggy thumper ish. Power pulses are much bigger on the honda making it feel heavier too. Yami is much more updated motor feel to it, like comparing a 69 vette to an 07 z06 ya know. Both are fast, but the 07 is smoother and faster.
Either bike will rip your arms off

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted October 19, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Great write up. I can't wait for the day to even own something new!

• rickallen124

Posted October 20, 2007 - 07:40 AM

get the yami. it feels like a 250f. The honda is a bad ass bike, but its way more chuggy thumper ish. Power pulses are much bigger on the honda making it feel heavier too. Yami is much more updated motor feel to it, like comparing a 69 vette to an 07 z06 ya know. Both are fast, but the 07 is smoother and faster.
Either bike will rip your arms off

So,you find the Yamaha easier to ride faster? Have you ridden it in power robbbing sand or mainly hardpack? I'm really trying to decide between the 08 Yamaha and Honda. Coming off a YZ250f the yamaha motor sounds like it would be easier to adapt to along with the ergos. The steering dampner on the honda intrigues me as does the fact that some of the mags say the yamaha still doesn't turn as well as the honda. Is the Yamaha a better vet bike? Is anyone looking at going to the 24 or 22mm offset tripleclamps on the 08 Yamaha? I look forward to hearing as much about these two bikes as possible.

• Drfletcherdc

Posted October 20, 2007 - 08:33 AM

So,you find the Yamaha easier to ride faster? Have you ridden it in power robbbing sand or mainly hardpack? I'm really trying to decide between the 08 Yamaha and Honda. Coming off a YZ250f the yamaha motor sounds like it would be easier to adapt to along with the ergos. The steering dampner on the honda intrigues me as does the fact that some of the mags say the yamaha still doesn't turn as well as the honda. Is the Yamaha a better vet bike? Is anyone looking at going to the 24 or 22mm offset tripleclamps on the 08 Yamaha? I look forward to hearing as much about these two bikes as possible.

I was so use to my 06 450 Yami that when I rode a Honda it felt like the front end was going to wash out on every turn. It gave me a very light front end feeling that didn't leave me any confidence in the corners.

• Mike546

Posted October 20, 2007 - 09:06 AM

I was so use to my 06 450 Yami that when I rode a Honda it felt like the front end was going to wash out on every turn. It gave me a very light front end feeling that didn't leave me any confidence in the corners.

My experience was just the opposite. My 06 Yammi would wash out so easy that I had to take the outside on every turn. I went with the 08 Honda just for a change of brands and because I herd the new Yammi still didn't turn well. There is a night and day difference with the Honda, I can go inside and not worry about the front end at all. Not bashing the blue bike just telling my thoughts after owning both. I'm also 6'3" and the bike just fits me better.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.