Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:48 AM

I just got a kx250f and after I changed the oil it looks
like its over filled. First I drained the oil and took out
the oil filter, put a new filter in and filled with the
1.3 L of maxum4 extra oil. The 1.3 is written on the
engine itself, only after I started the motor to get the
oil into the oil filter and let the bike cool down, the
little oil window still is completely full of oil. Shouldn't
the oil be in the middle of the window after this is done?
The last few times I changed the oil I used the window
as a guage to fill the motor, not a measurement of oil like
this time.

Should I drain some out and use the window as a guage instead of the measurement? I know its a lame question
but I just wanted to hear from someone else with the same
bike that can make me feel confident or someone who
has noticed the same problem.

Thanks guys!

• rmandyzf

Posted October 11, 2007 - 04:34 PM

do what the book says if you indeed put 1.3 then your all set don't stress about it. thats what i do with my yz250f just pour the oil in and forget about it I just use the window to check that there is oil in the bike.

• spin05

Posted October 11, 2007 - 08:27 PM

Make sure it is not on a stand and not leaning to one side or the other .......Other then that dont worry about it

• speedboot

Posted October 11, 2007 - 10:46 PM

we have the same idee , we now always filled to the middle of the window , and dont look at how much it is . when the engine is hot the hole window is used , and when its cool down the level is on the middle

• Racer24

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:29 PM

you cnt really rely on teh window to tell you if you have the right amount. the oil will expand and contract. sometimes the oil will sink to the bottom of the transmission of the crankshaft. the best way is to completely drain the bike, by removing both drain plugs and the oil filler cap. Also, make sure to turn over the engine to push out some extra oil.

• KevinMcGrath

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:37 AM

you cnt really rely on teh window to tell you if you have the right amount. the oil will expand and contract. sometimes the oil will sink to the bottom of the transmission of the crankshaft. the best way is to completely drain the bike, by removing both drain plugs and the oil filler cap. Also, make sure to turn over the engine to push out some extra oil.

Yes ... note he said BOTH drain plugs. Most people don't know or forget about the little 8mm plug under the crankshaft cavity. :crazy:

• Pr1malR8gw

Posted October 12, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Yes ... note he said BOTH drain plugs. Most people don't know or forget about the little 8mm plug under the crankshaft cavity. :crazy:

Yeah I bet your over fill is due to well because you didn't drain the clutch side of the case. This is a small 8mm bolt. It's not easily accessible with out removing the skid plate.

How ever it is not nesssasry to change this if you do regular oil changes. If you over fill the engine there is a ventilation that will drain access oil.

I how ever drain both sides of the engine each time I change the oil as I don't want any more old oil then as possible.

• the white stallion

Posted October 12, 2007 - 05:08 PM

As many times as guy's have said that the 8mm bolt stripped out I think I'm gonna quit taking mine out.How much oil you suppose is in the clutch side?Seems to me that quite a bit comes out. To the original poster,that 07 will spit out that extra oil easily.very temperamental about that.

• spin05

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:02 PM

I think mine holds about a 1/4 of a cup behind that 8mm bolt. Thats just a guess

• dirtride858

Posted October 12, 2007 - 08:08 PM

You guy's nailed it, I'm used to crf's for years, two drains and two fills, and didn't know the kawi had a second drain bolt, with one fill. I figured the drain
on the bottom of the motor was at the lowest point of gravity and after 30 minutes of it open it would be fully drained, with just a little residual left intact (which the engine oil capacity tag explained with three measurements) which is why I was so supprised that the correct measurement wound up overfilling it so much.
It makes sense now that I know their is a second drain bolt.
Thanks!

• Kawi122

Posted October 13, 2007 - 06:09 PM

The only problem with my 07 KX250F is that the skid plate is in the way of the 8mm bolt and it is going to be hassle to take off that skid plate evrytime to drain the oil. All in all i would rather take the skid plate off everytime that keeping bad oil in my engine.

• the white stallion

Posted October 13, 2007 - 06:49 PM

All you have to do is enlarge the access hole:excuseme:

• dirtride858

Posted October 14, 2007 - 11:50 PM

Does everyone enlarge the access hole or is it more normal
to just remove the skid plate everytime? Anyone have any pictures of their modified skid plate? I don't understand the design of the stock skid plate, one access hole alligned properlly to drain the oil and the other is not....

• spin05

Posted October 15, 2007 - 09:50 PM

mine didnt line up either.Now i got a devol skid plate and it didnt have a hole so i put one in.Hant tried it yet.I still might take the plate off so oil dosnt get on top of it...

• Bailey7

Posted October 16, 2007 - 02:35 PM

I just got a 05 kx250f and my 8mm bolt was already stipped, well the threads in the engine case was, so i brought it a a machine shop and they put a helicoil in it , and i got a new bolt. i put new oil in it and it seems fine so far, never got to ride it with the new bolt yet cause this happened today. Will my bike be fine with the helicoil ?

• spin05

Posted October 16, 2007 - 08:34 PM

Why are so many of these 8mm bolts stripping???? Over torqued ??????Mine has been fine but i only have 25hrs on the bike.So i have changed the oil like 6 times so far.But im a stickler for proper torques on anything that goes into aluminuim.Especially a motor....

• Bailey7

Posted October 17, 2007 - 08:21 AM

Why are so many of these 8mm bolts stripping???? Over torqued ??????....

I just got the bike and it was already stripped but wasnt leaking. So i didnt want to put it back in so i got a helicoil for it. should be fine right?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Help Choosing a Piston by enduro 4 life

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX250F
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

250 4t's vs 125 2t's by Maatt25

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  61 replies
Forums
Photo

Durability of the 2013/2014 kx250f how has yours held up? by Tony477g

• Hot  88 replies
Forums
Photo

What is the best size big bore for 250f ?.. by Johnnywadd739

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2007 Kx250f Jetting At 6000ft Altitude by TahoeKX250F

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.