dirtbike - go kart conversion?

17 replies to this topic
  • XXL

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:20 AM

Sorry if i posted this in the wrong section..

I have a '96 Honda XR80 that sits around, and im thinkin I would like to take the engine out, and turn it into a go kart..

Do you think it is possible? Would it be hard?

Any and all input is appreciated

• Honda125 358

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:28 AM

I think that will be alot of stress on the engine, more weight and all. I'm not 100% sure though. I think a while ago someone wanted to put a bike engine into a quad, and the response was too much weight.

• XXL

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:32 AM

well i was thinkin, just to pull an engine out of an old go kart frame, because most go karts have little what, 8, 10, or 12 hp?

and they push the frame and a human or 2 around at a good rate of speed

but im not sayin your wrong.. im a complete moron when it comes to this kinda stuff, thats why im gettin some input on it first

• Honda125 358

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:47 AM

well i was thinkin, just to pull an engine out of an old go kart frame, because most go karts have little what, 8, 10, or 12 hp?

and they push the frame and a human or 2 around at a good rate of speed

but im not sayin your wrong.. im a complete moron when it comes to this kinda stuff, thats why im gettin some input on it first

An xr80 engine does have hp somewhere in that area. I'm not 100% sure, but I just think they are built differently.

• jbroom

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:51 AM

find a kart forum and ask/research there too.

http://www.ntkarters.com/
http://www.racekarts.com/

• XXL

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:53 AM

yeah, its not the best choice of an engine, but its just sittin around, and i wanna put it to use.

i figured it would be fun because of the clutch.. it would make donuts super easy :confused:

• Honda125 358

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:54 AM

yeah, its not the best choice of an engine, but its just sittin around, and i wanna put it to use.

i figured it would be fun because of the clutch.. it would make donuts super easy :confused:

If you are doing a one man road gokard, then it might not be such a bad thing.

I should have asked earlier, is this gonna be on or off road?

• XXL

Posted October 11, 2007 - 11:57 AM

yes, it will be a one man go kart, off road.
and it wont be like the new go karts with all the roll cages and fancy features

it will be like the older go karts.. lightweight frame

now, with that info (sorry, shouldve filled u in), do u think it will be a good idea??

• cuddies say YEE 925

Posted October 11, 2007 - 12:04 PM

Whats wrong with the 8, 10, 12hp go carts? Mines stock at 8, but about 10-11 now with 21ft lbs :confused:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• XXL

Posted October 11, 2007 - 12:08 PM

Posted Image

^
thats the kind of frame i would be using

• NFS179

Posted October 11, 2007 - 12:17 PM

actually a buddy of mine just did the same thing, except its a 200cc lifan engine and a 2 seater. hes got the shifter rigged like a stick in a car, and the clutch is on the handle for the shifter. i dont think it would be very hard for you to rig something up, just remember you gotta think about how ur gonna shift.

Oh, and his go kart goes about 35 and will roll the sidewalls over on asphalt when you take a turn, FUN AS HELL :confused: :confused:

• XXL

Posted October 11, 2007 - 12:23 PM

actually a buddy of mine just did the same thing, except its a 200cc lifan engine and a 2 seater. hes got the shifter rigged like a stick in a car, and the clutch is on the handle for the shifter. i dont think it would be very hard for you to rig something up, just remember you gotta think about how ur gonna shift.

Oh, and his go kart goes about 35 and will roll the sidewalls over on asphalt when you take a turn, FUN AS HELL :confused: :confused:

thats bad azz... so it can be done?? that gives me hope

• cuddies say YEE 925

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:19 PM

My motor is a 1 speed, 317cc, 3 1/2" bore, 8hp motor. I clocked it at 37mph, with 13/57 gearing. I use it to drift at the local college.

• CharlieT

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:23 PM

Our kart had more than 8-12hp :confused:

Posted Image

oh it its been clocked at 125mph+ :confused:

• cuddies say YEE 925

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:25 PM

Our kart had more than 8-12hp :confused:

Posted Image

oh it its been cloked at 125mph+ :confused:

Rub it in ole Charlie :confused:

• Wimpy525

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:31 PM

When I was in middle school i made one with an old 440 snowmobile engine I had lying around. Holy crap was that thing fast. Learned how to weld building that thing.

• engineerjoe

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:45 PM

I was in a club in college where all we did was design and build an oversized offroad go kart. (google Mini Baja)
basically the opposite of what you're making: massive suspensions but way underpowered (we had 14"/12" suspension last year, top speed was ~35, 10 hp engine)
Heres the website:
sae/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.uccs.edu/~sae/

Posted Image

• CharlieT

Posted October 11, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Rub it in ole Charlie :confused:

Sorry, cuddies, but its your fault. I was just reading the thread and wasn't going to post.........until I saw your post....then I just had to, couldn't help myself:excuseme:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.