is there a trick?

8 replies to this topic
  • Slinkyman16

Posted October 10, 2007 - 06:36 PM

hey guys,

i was wondering if there was a trick to getting one of the linkage bolts off? the one right behind the chain roller on the 07 450. i mean what the hell, i cant get anything in there to work and for some reason this thing is super tight. i mean im laying on the ground with a box end wrench on the bolt and basicly standing on the thing and its not budging.. what am i doing wrong.. and this is the last bolt i need to get off. thanks
josh

• Hcor

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:21 PM

I removed the chain roller, and just used an open end to remove the bolt. My bolt was tight but not air wrenched. Wasn't a problem.

• Slinkyman16

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:25 PM

yeah i think mines air wrenched. i cant freakin move it.. im using all my body weight on the damn thing and it wont budge? manual says its at 58 tq pounds but damn this thing must be on like 100

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:52 PM

are your going the right way?

lol

the chain roller screw? is that threaded into the aluminum or is that treaded into steel?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swaldrop

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:52 PM

If you are using your body weight to remove that nut, you are tightening it. Left loosey, righty tighty.

• Slinkyman16

Posted October 10, 2007 - 08:05 PM

i got it off finally, it was just on there really tight. but suprisingly the dealer actually used a good amount of greese in my linkage.. makes me feel alttle better.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2007 - 08:25 PM

IF you are in fact attempting to turn the nut counterclockwise, and if it still refuses to budge, there are two things you might do about it.

The first is to add leverage. If your tool box includes a "torque adapter" the right size (a short box end with a square drive on the other end), use that with a long breaker bar. If not, you can set up a "cheater" (NOTE: This is Dangerous to some degree): Using a combination wrench to fit the nut hook the ring of another box end over the open end of the combination wrench to double its length. Protect your eyes and face; the combination wrench may break unless it's high grade stuff.

The second option is to take an acetylene torch and quickly heat a spot on the nut to red, then crank it off. Don't try to heat the nut evenly, or anything like that, just heat one spot red and get the heat out of there. Don't plan on using the nut over again (the bolt will be OK), and you may damge the seals at that end of the bearing, but if you work fast, you won't hurt anything else.

Good Luck,

:confused:

• Slinkyman16

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:49 PM

just finished regreesing the rear linkage.. wow it only took me 2 hours but i feel a hell of alot better. 1 more thing i can check off the list. tomarrow the greesing the headset.

• Hcor

Posted October 11, 2007 - 10:58 AM

just finished regreesing the rear linkage.. wow it only took me 2 hours but i feel a hell of alot better. 1 more thing i can check off the list. tomarrow the greesing the headset.

Just did the same. Sent out my tubes and shock to Factory Connection so I took apart my linkages, cleaned and greased all the needle bearings, and then last night pulled apart the headset and did the same. Threw it all back together and ready for my suspension to come back tomorrow. I agree it feels good when you knock that stuff out.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.