XR650L... only one to pass

37 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Cool! My score was pretty high too, but I lost 5 points for decelerating in a turn, due only to the crappy old bike, starting to bog with vapor lock (this was an ongoing problem with my bike at the course). The guys teaching the course were cool, so I didn't bother trying to give excuses...

• ajones

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:59 PM

My test was in 1995. I called and ask about how to get my bike to the station. They responded "we don't ask how the bike gets here...be careful" My test was "turn on right blinker...turn on left blinker....Check. Now ride to that stop sign and come back. Check. You pass"

Andy

• martinfan30

Posted October 11, 2007 - 02:04 PM

My test was in 1995. I called and ask about how to get my bike to the station. They responded "we don't ask how the bike gets here...be careful" My test was "turn on right blinker...turn on left blinker....Check. Now ride to that stop sign and come back. Check. You pass"

Andy

i was told by them here, that i would be ticketed!

• Old Dog

Posted October 11, 2007 - 06:28 PM

Congrats Aaron, job well done! :confused:

I wrote mine back in '82 on a 1981 XL500 (the ones with the bigass 23 inch front wheel). Before the test I turned up the idle screw just enough that if you let the clutch out slowly you wouldn't need to give it any gas. Doing this, I was able to do the cones, circles and figure eights by just playing with the clutch and front and rear brakes in the proper sequence. Never had to put a foot down, or twist the throttle to keep upright. I got 100% the first time through .... of course I had been riding dirt bikes for 10 years or so at that point (I was 16 when I took the test). :confused:

• gearloos

Posted October 11, 2007 - 06:59 PM

I was gonna loan my XRL to a friend for his test(he has a behemoth Beemer) and he said they wouldn't let him take it because I have a bd led tail light.
I looked and, sure enough, theres no DOT on it.
Just an fyi.. If they really look at those things. They didn't on my test, was just ck brake light, blinkers, go thru the dots(cones) and go around a circle..done.

• BrandonR

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:59 AM

I tried to get in before the rains hit but ended up trying to take the test at the end of Sept, the morning after the rains started. The course in corvallis is setup on slurryseal pavement with a noticeable downhill so when wet it's got about as much traction as ice. I did OK up to the brake test, layed it down and sprained my ankle when the front tire went out from under me as soon as I touched the front brake.

What I wanna know is how the test has anything to do with being able to operate on the road.. If you were weaving back and forth like that on the road they'd pull you over and test you for DUI.

• martinfan30

Posted October 12, 2007 - 10:03 AM

I tried to get in before the rains hit but ended up trying to take the test at the end of Sept, the morning after the rains started. The course in corvallis is setup on slurryseal pavement with a noticeable downhill so when wet it's got about as much traction as ice. I did OK up to the brake test, layed it down and sprained my ankle when the front tire went out from under me as soon as I touched the front brake.

What I wanna know is how the test has anything to do with being able to operate on the road.. If you were weaving back and forth like that on the road they'd pull you over and test you for DUI.

did u retake it?

• BrandonR

Posted October 12, 2007 - 12:33 PM

did u retake it?

Not yet, ankle still isn't 100%, it takes 3 weeks or so to get an appointment anyways.

• AaronBrown

Posted October 12, 2007 - 12:56 PM

I think it is more about accident avoidance and showing that you know how to handle your bike in unexpected situations rather than having you weave all over in traffic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frank ZX

Posted October 13, 2007 - 04:07 AM

I took the test yesterday.I've been riding for 30 yrs.,and street riding for 20yrs.,and just got me license.LOL Anyway,I took the test with two other riders on cruisers.I scored a 21 on my XRL,The other two riders scored a 37 and 39.The closer to zero the better.We had to ride thru a sharp left hander as fast as we could while staying inside two narrow lines.The first cruiser was way slow,I was next shifting into 2rd at about 35mph,The last cruiser tried to go as fast as me and his pegs scraped the ground causing him to ride outside the lines.The instructor said I was not going to have any problems on my bike and I didn't.She said it was funny watching the big cruisers take the test cause they always struggle the tight course.

• BrandonR

Posted October 31, 2007 - 02:13 PM

did u retake it?

Just retook the test today.. 100% score on the test. What a difference a little traction makes.

:worthy:

• Big Red Paul

Posted October 31, 2007 - 03:50 PM

Congratualtions on your excellent riding skills.

Do you have to take this test with your own bike, the bike you will be using on the road ? If not, I am surprised the poor people on those heavy bikes didn't ask to borrow your bike for a few minutes. I would have done !!!

• gearloos

Posted October 31, 2007 - 04:47 PM

Congratulations!!!

• Haro

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:03 PM

Congrats...you did the smartest thing by going down there with the bike you did...everybody should. You got to see first hand just why too. I am a pretty experienced ride on and off road and if I had to take the test today I still would hop on the WR and leave the R1 at home regardless of the coolness factor. Ride safe and have fun.

• BrandonR

Posted October 31, 2007 - 05:27 PM

Congratualtions on your excellent riding skills.

Do you have to take this test with your own bike, the bike you will be using on the road ? If not, I am surprised the poor people on those heavy bikes didn't ask to borrow your bike for a few minutes. I would have done !!!

You do have to show proof of insurance but they didn't match it up with the bike. They did do the full inspection: Demonstrate Turn Signals, horn, brakes, clutch, brake light, mirror, headlight, throttle. The tester asked me about the bike she asked "is that a dirt bike?" "no maa'm it's a dual sport, it came from the factory this way".

• hoosierider

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:12 AM

I took mine in about 1983 on my 1979 Kawasaki KD175 2-smoker. I pulled in with the aftermarket headlight, slapped-on taillight, full knobbies, no mirrors or turn signals other than my waving left arm and a WXKE Rock 104 sticker slathered across the front of the numberplate. They performed no check on bike at all, no question about insurance, no appointments back then at all, you just showed up and got in line. The guy next to me on the big ol' Harley just looked at me and smiled, said "Damn, I should have brought my kids dirt bike, if I'd a knowed . . ." I passed then, and haven't let it lapse since! I have been interested in one of the MSF courses for a while, just haven't taken the time to do it, sounds like it might be worth the investment.

• martinfan30

Posted November 01, 2007 - 08:14 AM

ya especially with the insurance break.

• BrandonR

Posted November 01, 2007 - 10:41 AM

ya especially with the insurance break.

Depends on your insurance company. I asked mine about it and there's no discount offered by Farmers in Oregon for taking the class. The only advantage I see to taking the class is that you're pretty much guaranteed you'll pass.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.