CRF450R to WR450?

15 replies to this topic
  • eyeque

Posted October 10, 2007 - 11:39 AM

I've read the WR FAQ's and read around the forum a bit...lots of god stuff here.

Anyway, I've got a very nice and heavily modded 2005 CRF450R. I find that I'm having a lot more fun in the mountains than on the track these days so I'm thinking of getting a 06 or 07 WR450. Anybody here go from the CRF to the WR? What was your (unbiased) opinion?

I like Honda's but it seems like the WR is a much beter deal for the money. Your thoughts?

• KennyMc

Posted October 10, 2007 - 12:55 PM

I went from an 04 CRF450R to my 07 WR450. I mainly rode the CRF in the desert but have always wanted to ride in the mountains. The damn red sticker thingy in Kalifornia always got in the way (main reason for switching).

The WR carries more weight and the suspension is softer so it doesn't track as well in the desert whoops. This can be resolved with supension work as I did on my CRF as well. I really like the WR gearing and the heavier flywheel makes lugging it around the tight technical single tracks or climbing steep rocky hills much easier for me. The e-start is fantastic.

I never had a problem with my CRF. I've had the WR for 4 months now and 700 miles later I am glad I made the switch.

Good luck.

• yamaslamma

Posted October 10, 2007 - 01:50 PM

the WR simply a better $$ deal.
they both great bikes.

I've read the WR FAQ's and read around the forum a bit...lots of god stuff here.

Anyway, I've got a very nice and heavily modded 2005 CRF450R. I find that I'm having a lot more fun in the mountains than on the track these days so I'm thinking of getting a 06 or 07 WR450. Anybody here go from the CRF to the WR? What was your (unbiased) opinion?

I like Honda's but it seems like the WR is a much beter deal for the money. Your thoughts?

• xr250ryder

Posted October 10, 2007 - 02:49 PM

I haven't switched, but I guarantee you that coming from a heavily modified CRF450R to a WR450 is not going to be fun for you. Number one thing you will notice is that the WR makes nowhere near the power of the CRF, mainly because its a race bike, but also because the WR450 is not. Now there are thing you can do to give it the YZ snap, for example, YZ Cam, YZ pipe (or FMF Powercore) basically the WR pipe is all stuffed up for emissions and whatnot. Those modifications included with the free mods (assuming you read around the forum, you would know them by heart). Will make the bike close, if not right on to your CRF. Theres the truth right there.

• Mutu

Posted October 10, 2007 - 04:11 PM

Don't forget the WR450F doesn't turn as good. I ride CRF450R's quite regularly and I find you can just carve the corners, where as the WR's you really got to take it a bit steady on entry, just like it's YZ brother.

Power of a WR450F is disapointing coming off an MX bike. The '07 bike makes ~38hp stock off the show room floor. Not all is lost though, a simple muffler change and you have most of the power back. :confused:

• jpoehls

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:44 PM

I have an 07 WR450...came to it from a heavy Pig DRZ400S. This is a whole different set of circumstances. Mainly DRZ was a heavy pig.

We would love to have you join the WR team, BUT frankly, I would recommend changing your sprocket set up first.

If it was my decision, I would stick with the CRF. I have ridden one, and it is a fantastic bike too. I think you could spend very few dollars to have a bike very close to the 07WR. Maybe it will not be exact to the WR, but for what you will be out in $'s, is what you gain worth it. Changing sprockets can get you a long way. Heck, even changing suspension would cost little in comparison to knew bike less trade or sell of current. The CRF is one powerful beast. The KTM and CRF were in my top 3 with the WR (Husky dealer to far from Salt Lake). I got the best deal on the WR, so that is what I went with. All 3 bikes will scream. With your 05, I don't think the technological changes are significant. IMHO...Perhaps you have your mind set. If so, congrats on a new WR, and welcome to the forum!

• maxtherat

Posted October 10, 2007 - 08:22 PM

I have an 02 crf 450 and love the explosive power it makes. The bike just seems to fit me well, but I also wanted something that was street legal w/ a mx type chasis this was pre 450 x,so i got a 01 wr426. I have done all of the free mods plus hotcams intake and exhaust and the bike does not feel nearly explosive as the honda, but it's a close second. This is from heavier fly wheel plus its heavier.The bike is very ridable on the trails where the Honda is better suited for the track. My conclusion, get both

• HollywoodMX

Posted October 10, 2007 - 08:23 PM

I have an 07 WR450...came to it from a heavy Pig DRZ400S. This is a whole different set of circumstances. Mainly DRZ was a heavy pig.

We would love to have you join the WR team, BUT frankly, I would recommend changing your sprocket set up first.

If it was my decision, I would stick with the CRF. I have ridden one, and it is a fantastic bike too. I think you could spend very few dollars to have a bike very close to the 07WR. Maybe it will not be exact to the WR, but for what you will be out in $'s, is what you gain worth it. Changing sprockets can get you a long way. Heck, even changing suspension would cost little in comparison to knew bike less trade or sell of current. The CRF is one powerful beast. The KTM and CRF were in my top 3 with the WR (Husky dealer to far from Salt Lake). I got the best deal on the WR, so that is what I went with. All 3 bikes will scream. With your 05, I don't think the technological changes are significant. IMHO...Perhaps you have your mind set. If so, congrats on a new WR, and welcome to the forum!

You forget 1 thing for trail riding, there is that beautiful button. When stuck in a hairy trail situation and u have to start the bike on some crazy hill... A friend of mine who is a hardcore rider switched from a KTM525 to a KTM450 just for estart alone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted October 10, 2007 - 08:44 PM

A friend of mine who is a hardcore rider switched from a KTM525 to a KTM450 just for estart alone.

Some KTM525's come with e-start.
Did he have the sx model?

• eyeque

Posted October 11, 2007 - 06:03 AM

Right on, that's exactly what I was wondering. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I heard that a stock WR would feel a lot less motor intensive but with the free mods you can get a lot more out of it. I'm not looking for more power, God knows the CRF damn near rips your arms out of the sockets!

Electic start and lighting would certainly be nice...and the WR looks cool.

Yamaha really makes nice bikes these days. I've got a 2006 Yamaha TTR230 in the garage that my wife rides...in addition to my 2005 CRF450R, a 2005 CRF50, a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple 1050 and a 2006 Triumph Daytona 675. Needless to say, I love bikes :confused:

Thanks again for the replies!

• yamaslamma

Posted October 11, 2007 - 01:44 PM

You have to do the uncork mods on the WR. Once you have done that it's a bad boy!!:confused:

• jpoehls

Posted October 11, 2007 - 07:07 PM

The magic button...how I forgot, and now that I have it, I could not due without. I can't count the times it has bailed my hind end out in a sticky spot on the side of a hill holding on for dear life.

I had assumed that since eyeque had been without, we would be used to it. Once you have it, you get spoiled.

Excellent point Maxtherat!

• Tough Guy

Posted October 11, 2007 - 07:07 PM

The WR 450 uncorked is super fast. The difference between the WR and CRF is in the woods...if you ride tighter technical terrain the CRF will struggle to keep up. The bottom and mid range power is smooth and always on tap....The new WR is truly a monster in the woods I absolutely love mine.

Chris

• eyeque

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:17 AM

Sweet...that's what I need. A snarling, woods beast, ha-ha!

hey, here's a link to a few pics of my CRF if any of you WR fellas are interested -

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=562305

• SupermanKLX125L

Posted October 15, 2007 - 09:19 PM

You gonna really sell that?!?!?

• Mutu

Posted October 15, 2007 - 10:00 PM

Yeah, you want a WR over that? :crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.