Tire Question on my 426

14 replies to this topic
  • klxnewguy

Posted October 10, 2007 - 11:38 AM

I am going to be taking the 426 on my first enduro race at Stonyford here in Cali and I am looking at new "Enduro" type tires and wanted to know what you think. I have heard the Maxxis Desert IT is good and also heard the IRC VE-33 is a good way to go as well. Let me know what you think also what do you recomend for front?

• 642MX

Posted October 10, 2007 - 11:49 AM

What kind of terrian is the event on? (rocks, hard pack, loam??)

• 426 NOOB

Posted October 10, 2007 - 12:16 PM

I have foud that the best all around tires are the Dunlop D756's. They have excellent bite in any terrain and they last a good 16 hours on hardpack even. If you want a stickier tire that will put more traction down, get the D739's. They wii wear out in about 7 hours of hard riding. Good Luck

• klxnewguy

Posted October 10, 2007 - 12:25 PM

Ya, that would have been good to put that info down! The area really has it all. Loam, mud, water crossings, lots of shale and rocks and hard packed fire roads as well. It'll be wet I'm sure when we ride so mud will be a factor. Thanks for the help.

• nos487

Posted October 10, 2007 - 12:47 PM

I like the dunlop 952.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2007 - 01:01 PM

The Dunlop 952 will outlast anything else that they make by a significant margin, and is a better all-around tire than the 756. 756's wear very quickly at both ends of the bike.

The 756 rear works very well in intermediate soils, but not so well on hard pack, and is a big disappointment in sand. The 952 is almost as good as the 756 in intermediate soils, somewhat better on hard pack, and far better in the sand. The 952 front is an excellent choice for SoCal riding where the soil range will be fairly wide. The D745 is also a good front tire, but biased a little more toward harder soils.

739's, particularly the front, are a very focused, hard surface tire, and are not much good at all on any other kind of dirt.

• 642MX

Posted October 10, 2007 - 02:01 PM

I'm normally a big Pirelli fan. The MXH is a great rear tire and the MT83 (Scorpion Pro) is a great all around tire for the front.

With that said, I have Michellin MH3's mounted up front and rear right now. Reason being is, I just got back from Tennessee (Coal Creek OHV area) Monday and it is nothing but rocks. The weekend after next, we are going to the Fall Ride at Loretta Lynns in Tennessee, again more rocks.

The Pirelli's won't hold up in rocks, they just aren't hard enough and wear quickly. The MH3 Michelin will hold up in rocks, but its not great in loamy conditions.

After October, we will go back to the Pirelli's because they work well in the conditions we have in Indiana.

And as others said, you can't go wrong with the Dunlop 952. They work very well in most conditions and seem to last forever. If your area has a little of every type of terrian, the 952 is probably what you want.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02WR426Cali

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Dunlop 756's work very well in sand so I'll have to disagree with Grayracer on that one. They work well in every terrain I've come across from hard rocky stuff to intermediate and soft sandy stuff as well. They will last longer than you would expect as well and will not chunk out in rocky terrain like some other tires would.

• 426 NOOB

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:36 PM

The Dunlop 952 will outlast anything else that they make by a significant margin, and is a better all-around tire than the 756. 756's wear very quickly at both ends of the bike.

The 756 rear works very well in intermediate soils, but not so well on hard pack, and is a big disappointment in sand. The 952 is almost as good as the 756 in intermediate soils, somewhat better on hard pack, and far better in the sand. The 952 front is an excellent choice for SoCal riding where the soil range will be fairly wide. The D745 is also a good front tire, but biased a little more toward harder soils.

739's, particularly the front, are a very focused, hard surface tire, and are not much good at all on any other kind of dirt.

So a 952 has better grip and tread duration than a 756? I will have to make this my next tire and see. I never have tried one. Awesome info

• KAS

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:41 PM

Asking what tires everybody likes is like asking what oil everybody uses.

I'm sold on Maxxis. SI front IT rear. If its more mud/sand with not many rocks, SI's front & rear.

• 642MX

Posted October 10, 2007 - 06:19 PM

Dunlop 756's will last longer than you would expect as well and will not chunk out in rocky terrain like some other tires would.

True story: 2 years ago we decided to go ride the Fall Ride at Loretta Lynns. My wifes 250F needed a back tire really bad, so I ran to the local bike shop and all they had was a 756 in stock. I bought it and we went to Tennessee. One day (40 miles) and it was toast, the knobs where totally ruined/ripped. So I bought another tire at the event. It happened to be a MH3, 2 days of riding later and it still looked good.

Moral of the story: 756's will hook well on most surfaces, but if you ride aggressively, don't expect it to last very long. :confused:

• 642MX

Posted October 10, 2007 - 06:21 PM

Asking what tires everybody likes is like asking what oil everybody uses.

I thought we all used Rotella......:confused: :confused:

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Dunlop 756's work very well in sand so I'll have to disagree with Grayracer on that one.

Disagree all you like. I've ridden both in the same sand, and I know what I'm saying. This last weekend I was at Superstition, and the OEM 756 on my "new" '06 simply was not hooking up like my 952's. As verification of that impression, my son's '06 had no trouble climbing away from me in the loose stuff. An exchange of bikes later on verified it further. In that fresh blown dune sand, the tire just didn't work, and is so badly rounded over from the ride that I won't be using it any longer.

So a 952 has better grip and tread duration than a 756? I will have to make this my next tire and see. I never have tried one. Awesome info

As I said before, the 756 is excellent in true intermediate soils, but the 952 is nearly as good, and is better outside the effect range of the 756. One of the problems we face in SoCal is that any given ride is apt to include packed clays, rocks, sand, DG (some of the worst stuff there is), and only a little of what might actually be called intermediate soils. Picking tires for your favorite track isn't usually too hard to do, but it's very hard to find a tire that does enough different things well to really work out in the open countryside.

And yes, there is no question, a 952 will outlast at least two 756's.

I'm sold on Maxxis. SI front IT rear. If its more mud/sand with not many rocks, SI's front & rear.

I was using Maxxis IT's for quite a while, and they were pretty good. But the 952 hooks up better, corners more predictably, and holds its edge better and lasts even longer than the Max.

• maxtherat

Posted October 13, 2007 - 10:43 PM

I like the 739 desert tire. Good wear, good traction and stiffer side wall is like the run flat technolory found on some car tires. mine will last about three rides (300 miles) mix of dirt and some street.

• klxnewguy

Posted October 14, 2007 - 02:46 PM

I went ahead and got the IRC VE-33 after talking to the locals about stonyford, CA. I'll let you know how they hook up after the race next sunday!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.