650R Electrical Suggestions?

11 replies to this topic
  • TrailRiderXRL

Posted October 10, 2007 - 08:16 AM

I am looking for some suggestions/help regarding upgrading the electrical system on my 650R. It currently has a BD dualsport kit installed with the stock stator. I plan to replace or add the following:

Headlight bulb with a 60/55w.(I don't ride at night much but would like a little more light)
Heated grips
Hardwired GPS.
12v outlet for misc accessories
Trail Tech Vapor (powered by the bike)

I don't think I need a dual output stator, I would like to keep everything DC. Will the BD reciter/regulator hold up to what I have planned? Will the wiring need to be upgraded? When I rewind the stator what sort of output should I shoot for? (100w,150w,200w?) I also plan to get Trail Tech's 12v 3700mAh battery. Does this battery come with the proper wiring for my system? Any tips or recommendation would be appreciated?

Trail

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted October 10, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Anyone???

• porterdog

Posted October 10, 2007 - 03:22 PM

I rewound my stator at about 30 turns per pole with 16ga wire, and I'm using the BD heavy-duty reg/rect. No issues so far; plenty juice for a bright light, and there should be enough to drive a fan and heated grips. (Luckily I'm unlikely to need both at the same time :confused: )

"Should" be on the order of 200W, but the stator simulators I looked at might as well be FM. The rewind wasn't hard.

I think you'd be likely to cook the standard BD stator with this wind.

hth,
Robert

• hondacrf150f1

Posted October 10, 2007 - 03:49 PM

ricky stator...200W output for $150-200 i think

• cleonard

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:03 PM

You can get a Ricky Stator for about $135 shipped to you. However, you can do it yourself for something like $20 or so. If you do a single wind like Porteddog did you will have better voltage at idle than the dual coil stators like the Ricky or Baja Designs. The total out will be lower though, more like 125 to 150 watts or so. The max current is limited by the strength of the magnets in the flywheel.

I have a Baja Designs stator with two 125 watt rated coils. One runs the headlight only with an AC regulator. The other goes to a DC regulator and runs everything else. I have a 90/110 watt H4 bulb in my headlight. The nice thing about H4 bulbs is that they are available in many wattages. A good source is www.rallylights.com. Not a lot of crap like most sites that sell bulbs. Real wattage numbers.

There have been detailed reports here on how to do the rewind. Do a search in this forum for stator in the title.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted October 11, 2007 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for the info! I plan to rewind the stator myself. porterdog do you have a link for the heavy duty regulator/rectifier? Did you upgrade the wiring on your bike? I'm thinking a 125-150w should be more than enough for what I need. Does anyone have any info on the Trail Tech battery?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 11, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info! I plan to rewind the stator myself. porterdog do you have a link for the heavy duty regulator/rectifier? Did you upgrade the wiring on your bike? I'm thinking a 125-150w should be more than enough for what I need. Does anyone have any info on the Trail Tech battery?

I have the trailtech battery and the BD battery (using the BD at the moment, but have used them both). The trailtech is a 3700 mah battery as you say and the BD I believe is 700 mah. I'm currently just using a battery for off road use to power an HID light and prefer the BD battery because it is smaller. I'm pretty sure they are both 10 cell battery packs with the BD being AAA cells and the Trailtech being AA cells. The trailtech is the better battery as it has more reserve power for when the engine is off, but if you don't need that then the smaller BD is the way to go.

I'm not sure what wattage the heavy duty reg/rectifier referred to above can handle, but make sure to ask and don't assume. The standard reg/rec from both BD and Trailtech is good for 150 watts.

Good luck :confused:

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:32 AM

Great info!
Thanks
Will the Trail Tech battery fit under the seat where the BD battery fits?
Looks like I should be fine with the stock BD reg/rec. How many winds per pole should I do to get the 125-150w that I am looking for?

I have the trailtech battery and the BD battery (using the BD at the moment, but have used them both). The trailtech is a 3700 mah battery as you say and the BD I believe is 700 mah. I'm currently just using a battery for off road use to power an HID light and prefer the BD battery because it is smaller. I'm pretty sure they are both 10 cell battery packs with the BD being AAA cells and the Trailtech being AA cells. The trailtech is the better battery as it has more reserve power for when the engine is off, but if you don't need that then the smaller BD is the way to go.

I'm not sure what wattage the heavy duty reg/rectifier referred to above can handle, but make sure to ask and don't assume. The standard reg/rec from both BD and Trailtech is good for 150 watts.

Good luck :confused:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 12, 2007 - 06:42 AM

Will the Trail Tech battery fit under the seat where the BD battery fits?

Not sure how you got the BD battery under the seat unless you moved some other things down there. I won't say it's not possible,but I kind of doubt it due to the size for the Trailtech battery. I found plenty of room by mounting it behind the right side radiator where the smog equipment used to be. I just cobbled a basic mount for it from flat aluminum stock, but BD makes one as well. Not sure if I needed it, but I wrapped it in some ducting insulation along with heat tape. Works fine.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted October 12, 2007 - 07:40 AM

Not sure how you got the BD battery under the seat unless you moved some other things down there. I won't say it's not possible,but I kind of doubt it due to the size for the Trailtech battery. I found plenty of room by mounting it behind the right side radiator where the smog equipment used to be. I just cobbled a basic mount for it from flat aluminum stock, but BD makes one as well. Not sure if I needed it, but I wrapped it in some ducting insulation along with heat tape. Works fine.

Yes a few things get moved around on top of the air box. Looks like the BD battery is 3"x2"x1" and the TT is 3.75"x3"x1.5". It may be a tight fit. I'll pack up 10 AA's and see if I can get them to fit before I order.

On another note. Does anyone have a good link or source for all weather switches and 12 outlets? I'm looking for a 3 position switch. (Low-Off-High...for heated grips)

• porterdog

Posted October 18, 2007 - 10:43 AM

porterdog do you have a link for the heavy duty regulator/rectifier?

Part number 12-2005 on the BD site. I found it originally by searching on 'Regulator' I think; they told me it was good to 300W IIRC.

Did you upgrade the wiring on your bike?

I pretty much ripped out all of the non-ignition wiring and started over. The feed from the stator to the r/r and from the r/r to the headlamps is 12ga. A lot of the rest of it is 20ga as I'm using a lot of LED lighting.

On another note. Does anyone have a good link or source for all weather switches and 12 outlets? I'm looking for a 3 position switch. (Low-Off-High...for heated grips)

Look at part number 7172K46 at mcmaster.com. It's a 'washdown' switch, meaning that you can get it wet and not kill it. I used these exclusively and they've been fine so far. You can also get rubber covers to keep out water from the top, but I didn't.

• TrailRiderXRL

Posted October 18, 2007 - 12:35 PM

Part number 12-2005 on the BD site. I found it originally by searching on 'Regulator' I think; they told me it was good to 300W IIRC.

I pretty much ripped out all of the non-ignition wiring and started over. The feed from the stator to the r/r and from the r/r to the headlamps is 12ga. A lot of the rest of it is 20ga as I'm using a lot of LED lighting.

Look at part number 7172K46 at mcmaster.com. It's a 'washdown' switch, meaning that you can get it wet and not kill it. I used these exclusively and they've been fine so far. You can also get rubber covers to keep out water from the top, but I didn't.

Great! Thanks for the info. I plan to start at mine soon.:crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.