sad noob with a wr450

17 replies to this topic
  • burtonvapor

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:01 PM

so I bought a 03 wr450 street legal about a month ago and I've had nothing but problems. I just got it out of the shop today and driving back home from work it died while going in 4th gear?? Plenty of gas oil is good mechanic says it runs good...what could this be? I've been so excited getting into this sport and it's been nothing but a bummer. the mechanic is killing the bank account so I'm thinking about selling it unless this is just a easy fix that I'm not aware of. Any ideas would be great!!

Thanks!!

• ccoates445

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:34 PM

died once? did it start back up and it only dies in 4th? please be more specific.

• Mutu

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:51 PM

Any ideas would be great!!

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=411240
Jet your bike to something similar here. :confused:
Have you recharged your battery lately? :confused:

What symptoms does your bike have?

• spick

Posted October 10, 2007 - 11:05 AM

Do you have the petcock in the ON position? I only ask because you mentioned you're a NOOB. Still happens to me from time to time. :confused:

• jcorni

Posted October 10, 2007 - 11:16 AM

Make sure the vent on your gas cap is not plugged with dirt,sometimes the problem is that simple or it could be something plugging up your main jet. Does it start after it sits awhile?:confused:

• suntan46

Posted October 10, 2007 - 11:18 AM

I had a simular problem and found that there was a bit of dirt in he float chamber needle at the bottom of the carb which was causing the bike idle strange and die when flat out.

• cardiffdrz

Posted October 10, 2007 - 11:18 AM

Bike died in 4th is not a lot to go on.

Give us the details even if you think they are not relevant, obviously no need to tell us what you were wearing but all details bike related :confused:

• dirty jim

Posted October 10, 2007 - 04:33 PM

so I bought a 03 wr450 street legal about a month ago and I've had nothing but problems. I just got it out of the shop today and driving back home from work it died while going in 4th gear?? Plenty of gas oil is good mechanic says it runs good...what could this be? I've been so excited getting into this sport and it's been nothing but a bummer. the mechanic is killing the bank account so I'm thinking about selling it unless this is just a easy fix that I'm not aware of. Any ideas would be great!!

Thanks!!

I am thinking eletrical.
Maybe check neutral switch???

• Birdy426

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:27 PM

WHat work did you just have done on it as well?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • burtonvapor

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:30 PM

It was really hard to start all day and it kinda smelled like there was water in the gas. My thought is that's the case with it not running good. So if that is the case any ideas?

Thanks

• burtonvapor

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:44 PM

I live on Maui so low elevation but I ride in the rain which has salt in it so that could be a problem. I've never taken it off road so I'm not worried about dirt.

Thanks for all the help!!

• burtonvapor

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:46 PM

brand new

• Mutu

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:49 PM

Old gas will make your bike run like crap. I always try to use fresh gas EVERY ride!

• burtonvapor

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:39 PM

spick called it. had the fuel cock in the wrong position. I payed for a pdf of the manual today and sure enough. kinda confusing which way to point it but I got it now and it's running good. thanks everyone for breaking my problem down.

thanks spick!

• ttr125l95

Posted October 12, 2007 - 09:43 PM

now just make sure you turn the fuel off when your done riding it ok?

• Fullbore4

Posted October 12, 2007 - 10:00 PM

In the year I owned my WR450, I never turned the gas off except when I drained it from the carb for winter.

• Nostalgic

Posted October 13, 2007 - 05:29 AM

spick called it. had the fuel cock in the wrong position. I payed for a pdf of the manual today and sure enough. kinda confusing which way to point it but I got it now and it's running good. thanks everyone for breaking my problem down.

thanks spick!

Good! Glad it worked out nice and cheap. I kept coming back to this thread hoping it would be solved. :crazy:

• spick

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:31 AM

Excellent. I'm glad my own (in)experience was able to help you out.

Have fun!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.