xr600 gearing question

5 replies to this topic
  • litng1

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:06 PM

Ive searched and havent found the answer to my ?.Got a 92 XR600r with stock gearing.To make the bike faster in say a drag race would a 13 Tooth front be better than the 14?
My mods are a wiseco higher comp piston,slip on and jetted 68/158 bike runs great as is.Dont care to much about running 100MPH in the woods.I want the bike to be faster from a dig and lower gears.Thanks:ride:

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:27 PM

Ive searched and havent found the answer to my ?.Got a 92 XR600r with stock gearing.To make the bike faster in say a drag race would a 13 Tooth front be better than the 14?
My mods are a wiseco higher comp piston,slip on and jetted 68/158 bike runs great as is.Dont care to much about running 100MPH in the woods.I want the bike to be faster from a dig and lower gears.Thanks:ride:

with a 13 you will definately take off quicker, but would run out of juice at 5th gear, maybe 55 mph. i smoke my dad on his xrl (he runs stock 15/45) with my 15/48. i get him up to about 60 mph then he slowly comes on and passes me.

• cleonard

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:32 PM

The 13 is the easy way to try lower gearing. You can use the same chain. It will cause a little more wear. The chain has to bend more on the 13 sprocket. It will also wear the chain slider on the swingarm a little faster. Going with a 14 front and a larger rear, like a 52 or so. That will require a chain that is about 4 links longer.

The speed difference is only 7% so it's not a huge difference. If the top end was 85 before it will only drop to 80.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:35 PM

The 13 is the easy way to try lower gearing. You can use the same chain. It will cause a little more wear. The chain has to bend more on the 13 sprocket. It will also wear the chain slider on the swingarm a little faster. Going with a 14 front and a larger rear, like a 52 or so. That will require a chain that is about 4 links longer.

The speed difference is only 7% so it's not a huge difference. If the top end was 85 before it will only drop to 80.

and be very buzzy.

• litng1

Posted February 23, 2009 - 09:39 PM

What would top end be on XR with one tooth lower on front and my mods above?

• cleonard

Posted February 24, 2009 - 12:00 AM

Well 13/14 is about .928. If your bike did 100 with a 14, it would do 93 with a 13. My 600 never went 100, but it did do around 90 I think. The ratio is the same so if it's 90 on a 14, then it would be about 84 with a 13. It doesn't seem like much, but the difference at a 65 mph cruise is noticeable.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.