Fork Spring Shim...OEM on an L?

4 replies to this topic
  • turbowhine

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:50 AM

I'm replacing the fork seals on a 94 L. I noticed someone has installed a 1.3 inch (crooked) piece of PVC pipe on top of the spring to shim it. Checking the manual and schematics I don't see a stock shim availabe, just the spring seat and thats it. Whats the deal? Are the springs on a 650R shimmed with a bushing?

Also, whats a good method to remove the dust seal?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 09, 2007 - 01:41 PM

Some folks shim the spring to increase the preload.

If it was a beefier piece I'd say maybe someone had put in Eibach springs- they come with a plastic shim.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Denn10

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:36 PM

dust seal You know those TINY little screwdriver you use for your sunglasses THOSE flat tips work well to get under seal and you can get out a bit and then use a bigger screwdriver or brute force with your finger tips.

• turbowhine

Posted October 09, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Hmm,...good to know. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna measure the stock spring to see if it's within tolerance, but I definitely want to ditch the crappy PVC chunk. I might look into getting a stiffer spring set for my 200lb self and luggage. Now it's a matter of Eibach or Progressive...

Dust seal, time to meet your maker!

• Whiteman

Posted October 09, 2007 - 06:06 PM

Hmm,...good to know. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm gonna measure the stock spring to see if it's within tolerance, but I definitely want to ditch the crappy PVC chunk. I might look into getting a stiffer spring set for my 200lb self and luggage. Now it's a matter of Eibach or Progressive...

Dust seal, time to meet your maker!

Eibach you will have to use a piece of PVC. They send it with the springs. You will have to cut the pipe because the springs are shorter and the PVC makes up the difference. Not sure about the Progressive springs.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.