Yamaha YZ450 Gearing?

6 replies to this topic
  • motorider66

Posted October 09, 2007 - 09:57 AM

I had bought a 2006 YZ450 a year ago and I ride single track type, tight trails in colorado. After about 2 rides I am finding myself want a shorter first gear, for those techinical sections. I was wondering if it possible to swap the 2006 WR450 gearing for with the 06' YZ gearing, to have a shorter first gear and a wider top gear? Any seggestions or know of anyone who makes aftermarket gearing for an 06' YZ450?

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:50 AM

You can gear the bike down a little bit, but not as far as you might like to. You can only run about a 52/53 tooth on the rear without modifying the lower guide, and while you can use a 12 in the front, it isn't terribly practical.

The WR gets its low gearing from the transmission ratios, which are a wider ratio set made for off-road/ dual sport use as opposed to the close ratio racing set the YZF has. You can, if you want, swap the complete transmission from an '07 WR450 into your bike, but that would be in the neighborhood of $750 in parts and require a complete tear down, so you would have to be serious about it.

• motorider66

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:08 AM

I already changed the sprockets to get more torque but I want to change the transmission ratios.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2007 - 12:24 PM

As I said, you can do that by replacing the trans with one from an '07 WR. '06 and earlier WR450 transmissions will not fit the wider cases on the '06 and later YZ450. You can use your shift cam and forks, and your output shaft, but the rest of it would need to be changed. It's quite possible that the gear pairs could be mixed and matched, using some of your original set with some from the WR, but usually, this ends up creating an oddly spaced gap between gears somewhere along the line.

• motorider66

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:04 PM

I'll try swap transmissions out with the 06' WR450, hopefully it will be a bolt out, bolt in job.

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2007 - 03:24 PM

I'll try swap transmissions out with the 06' WR450, hopefully it will be a bolt out, bolt in job.

HELLO, ARE YOU LISTENING? :confused:

'06 and earlier WR450 transmissions will not fit the wider cases on the '06 and later YZ450.

The '06 WR450 trans WILL NOT FIT an '06 YZ450. It has to be an '07 or '08 WR.

• motorider66

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:09 PM

Oh sorry I read that wrong, alright I'll go with the 07' WR trans then,

Thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.