Rear End of 650L

15 replies to this topic
  • 650_shark

Posted October 09, 2007 - 05:09 AM

I have a 06 XR650L with about 7500 miles on it. I noticed fairly recently than I have some play in the rear swingarm/link and wheel/axle(both front and rear). I've checked the wheel bearings and they seem ok but the amount of play would make you think that the bearings are worn out. Furthermore, the swing arm/link pivots also show some play. Bolts are tight. I never noticed this before but it almost seems that the play has always been there? Any insight on the matter.

Cold weather is coming to New England, so bike work will begin. I plan to put new bearings/seals fr&rear wheels along with pivots

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 09:20 AM

THESE need continual greasing. they are under a lot of stress and wear quickly if neglected.

• Denn10

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:05 AM

YEAH LUB em up LOL

• 650_shark

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:22 AM

yup.....got me there....ummm what oil should I use? 10w-40? Oh sorry I wanted to turn this into an oil thread because I change it all the time but lube my bearings and pivots....huh.

I'll be honest, haven't done a thing to my pivots but wheel bearings yes(well they are sealed bearings, right).

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:24 AM

yup.....got me there....ummm what oil should I use? 10w-40? Oh sorry I wanted to turn this into an oil thread because I change it all the time but lube my bearings and pivots....huh.

I'll be honest, haven't done a thing to my pivots but wheel bearings yes(well they are sealed bearings, right).

i havent either and it even has zerk fittings! what a load i am!

• frog13

Posted September 03, 2008 - 06:35 PM

Zerk fitting;

Since it has such a fitting then it should be greased right?,but,I've heard if you use different grease than what was originally used you could cause trouble with different greases???-----need imput.

• cleonard

Posted September 03, 2008 - 06:54 PM

Zerk fitting;

Since it has such a fitting then it should be greased right?,but,I've heard if you use different grease than what was originally used you could cause trouble with different greases???-----need imput.

It's only if the soap bases are different. Today there is hardly anything but lithium based grease so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I use moly grease, but any kind is better than none.

Pumping in some grease is a good thing, but it is no substitute for taking it all apart, cleaning and regreasing.

• road_toad666

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:06 PM

Does anyone know where I can find these zerks on the L??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR TOM

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:09 PM

Under & over the linkage:busted:

• Gassyphil

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:10 PM

#1 :thumbsup:

• cleonard

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:21 PM

Under & over the linkage:busted:

There should be one on the main swingarm pivot and one on each of the linkage pivots. My XR600 has 4. One on each end of the dogbone, one on the swingarm and one on the piece that attaches to the shock right behind the bottom of the shock.

One part that needs periodic servicing is the spherical bearings on both ends of the shock. These need moly paste and I do mine every year. These dry out and wear fast. When water gets in they rust. They have no zerks so removing the shock is the only way to service them.

You can get the 60% moly paste at the Honda dealer. It's amazing stuff and I use it on lots of other things.

• road_toad666

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:27 PM

There should be one on the main swingarm pivot and one on each of the linkage pivots. My XR600 has 4. One on each end of the dogbone, one on the swingarm and one on the piece that attaches to the shock right behind the bottom of the shock.

One part that needs periodic servicing is the spherical bearings on both ends of the shock. These need moly paste and I do mine every year. These dry out and wear fast. When water gets in they rust. They have no zerks so removing the shock is the only way to service them.

You can get the 60% moly paste at the Honda dealer. It's amazing stuff and I use it on lots of other things.

Awesome.. I bet I could drill and tap for zerks in the spots you mentioned. i actually considered zerking the clutch lever and front brake lever on my L due to them being noticably sloppier than when I got the bike new this spring.
Packard used to make a car that had zerks EVERYWHERE- and the entire front end you could grease while rolling down the road, courtesy of a lever under the dash!! needless to say, their car lasted WAY too long, and their commitment to a great product put them out of business.

Nos such thing as too many lubrication points- I like to spend time riding, not tearing down. I am def. gonna install some zerks in non-factory locations.

• Gassyphil

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:31 PM

OH! I thought we were talking about wheel bearings!? :thumbsup: I guess thats what I get for thinking? :worthy: HAHAHA! HAHAHA!

• Kenzo

Posted September 03, 2008 - 08:10 PM

....you mean i'm actually suppose to grease the grease fittings??? :blah:

....thanks guys ur the best! :thumbsup:

hahahahaaaa... :D

:busted:

P.S. i like waterproof marine grease...but i thought all grease wus waterproof :worthy:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 04, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Awesome.. I bet I could drill and tap for zerks in the spots you mentioned. i actually considered zerking the clutch lever and front brake lever on my L due to them being noticably sloppier than when I got the bike new this spring.
Packard used to make a car that had zerks EVERYWHERE- and the entire front end you could grease while rolling down the road, courtesy of a lever under the dash!! needless to say, their car lasted WAY too long, and their commitment to a great product put them out of business.

Nos such thing as too many lubrication points- I like to spend time riding, not tearing down. I am def. gonna install some zerks in non-factory locations.

The sloppiness in the lever is your friend- helps it to resist breaking, and lets the lever be in the perfect spot whether you're sitting or standing.

Dave

• ghrati ghoti

Posted September 04, 2008 - 11:28 AM

My 04 only has one zerl on the swingarm pivot. the links have the flats but not the zerks. When the bearings need to be replaced I'll install some fittings, but not until I remove the cages. It looks like I'd drill right into the edges with them in there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.