Riding above Estacada

104 replies to this topic
  • OCsquid

Posted January 11, 2008 - 10:51 AM

theres no snow up at ridge road, just lots of mud
La Dee is snowed in still I think, havent been there but know the area alright

• StevensXR

Posted January 11, 2008 - 12:46 PM

This is what it looked like as of this past Monday on Hillockburn Road. Elevation here is about 2200'

Posted Image

• sheikyurbouti

Posted January 11, 2008 - 05:29 PM

At least someone is having fun!

Sheikyurbouti

Molalla

• firffighter

Posted January 11, 2008 - 07:51 PM

We were up playing in the snow on Squaw Mt. last week. Snow level is very low right now.

I live just out of Estacada and I think the best riding out of Estacada is between Hillockburn Rd. and Colton. There are a lot of trails up in that area, it just take time to find them, mark them on a map, and wait for June to go hit them. Most of the stuff up there is not very long, as in there are not many linked trails. Most of them are old skid roads that dead end at landings. If a group put time in up there, you could establish a nice trails system, but it would take some time and dedication.

LaDee flats is terrible IMO. The quads and 4x4's have destroyed most of the trails, and have left a load of trash up there. Maybe if it gets established as an official OHV area it could be cleaned up.

I think it is worth driving to The Burn instead of trying to link trails all day up there.

Now, there is an organized group building trail out of Scotts Mills which isnt too far. I would like to try it out when they get some good singletrack established.

• sheikyurbouti

Posted January 13, 2008 - 08:34 AM

A long time ago I used to ride out of Colton off the end of Greys Hill Rd. It's all behind locked gates now. At one time I had a 40 mile loop that would take me up alongside the 300 road to Goat Mtn tower, then back towards the Hillock Burn Rd.

If there is a place to stage, I'd love to know where.

• HRRacing

Posted January 13, 2008 - 10:51 AM

I can tell you one thing, with this weather and no place to ride, my bike sure does look good 'cause the only thing to do is watch it rain/snow and polish the bike.

• StevensXR

Posted January 13, 2008 - 11:02 AM

A long time ago I used to ride out of Colton off the end of Greys Hill Rd. It's all behind locked gates now. At one time I had a 40 mile loop that would take me up alongside the 300 road to Goat Mtn tower, then back towards the Hillock Burn Rd.

If there is a place to stage, I'd love to know where.

There are a TON of places to stage up at Hillockburn Road. You can start at the 45/4510 junction, or stay on 45 (Hillockburn) to the 4510/45/4510-145 junction. Or anywhere in-between.

There is not a lot of single track, as a matter of fact, I think I have only seen 1 or 2 short true single track runs. Most of the areas have been hit hard by quads and 4x4s. But, since I live 10 miles from there, it's great to buzz up for an afternoon ride.

My brother-in-law and I on top of Goat mountain next to the towers this past August:
Posted Image

• sheikyurbouti

Posted January 15, 2008 - 01:29 PM

I have been mapping out the area on Google Earth. I'll go in soon with a GPS and start plotting the roads and trails I can remember. There were some groovy trails in there, between Haskins, HillockBurn and Upper Molalla Forest Road, which I believe is the '100' road.

It's nice to see the area is national forest, but I believe (The Evil Empire) Weyerhauser has some land in there somewhere. I try to steer clear of them.

• HRRacing

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:10 PM

OCsquid
Where is this 20 mile loop in Beavercreek area?

• nw scout

Posted January 16, 2008 - 08:50 AM

Hey.
Anyone know if Rd 4610 goes through La Dee flats. I am pretty sure it does, but as many times as I have heard of La Dee flats I have not seen it on a map.
I found some great trails way south off the 4610 and may head up there this weekend. Just wondering if the 4610 is clear of snow.

Anyone with a dual sport want to do some exploring?

Dave

• OCsquid

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:41 PM

OCsquid
Where is this 20 mile loop in Beavercreek area?

its on Ridge rd a mile or two off of redland rd towards lower highland. Its next to a freshly logged area. There is a turnout with a gate bar and a trail leading into the woods.
There are no markings for trails, we ride them all both directions with a little backtracking and end up with close to 20 miles. It took quite a bit of searching to find them all, none are very long but there are some fun short trails. cover it all in a couple hours. Right now some of the up hills are real hard cause of the mud, some of our less experianced riders had a hell of a time when we went on new years day.
On that first trail in- vear right at the Y,s or you will end up on private property/farms. also watch for horses, stop and turn off your motor and let them pass or turn around if you see them far up ahead. I come across horseback riders almost as much as dirt bikers up there. I have never had any probs but i am always curtious of the other users.

• firffighter

Posted January 16, 2008 - 02:49 PM

"Hey.
Anyone know if Rd 4610 goes through La Dee flats. I am pretty sure it does, but as many times as I have heard of La Dee flats I have not seen it on a map.
I found some great trails way south off the 4610 and may head up there this weekend. Just wondering if the 4610 is clear of snow.

Anyone with a dual sport want to do some exploring?

Dave"

I dont think this area will be open for a long while with the snow levels as low as they have been. There really isn't anything any good past LaDee flats as far as riding goes IMO. I think a better area to explore is up off of Hillockburn Rd. There are many trails up there, it just take a little time to get to know the area.

I have spent the last few years exploring areas near Estacada to ride and have found that besides Hillockburn area, that driving to Scotts Mills is much better.

• StevensXR

Posted January 16, 2008 - 03:26 PM

Hey.

Dave

According to the GPS, LaDee is located 6.47 miles from Hwy 224 on N. Fork road (4610). So you have been through it if you have ridden the area.

I am going up 4510 on Friday to scout the snow level, and I can let you know how low the snow still is. But I am going to guess with the recent snow and low temps, it is probably still hanging around the lower elevations.

• HRRacing

Posted January 16, 2008 - 04:24 PM

its on Ridge rd a mile or two off of redland rd towards lower highland. Its next to a freshly logged area. There is a turnout with a gate bar and a trail leading into the woods.
There are no markings for trails, we ride them all both directions with a little backtracking and end up with close to 20 miles. It took quite a bit of searching to find them all, none are very long but there are some fun short trails. cover it all in a couple hours. Right now some of the up hills are real hard cause of the mud, some of our less experianced riders had a hell of a time when we went on new years day.
On that first trail in- vear right at the Y,s or you will end up on private property/farms. also watch for horses, stop and turn off your motor and let them pass or turn around if you see them far up ahead. I come across horseback riders almost as much as dirt bikers up there. I have never had any probs but i am always curtious of the other users.

I was just there yesterday scouting it out on my way home from work. I just want to make sure I would be in the right area and not on someone's private property. I was heading S. on Ridge, went past the clear cut, and found a pull off on the left hand side with the gate. Is this the one? If so, is there any problems parking a truck there?

Thanks for the info! I am having major riding withdrawals and driving my wife nuts.

• OCsquid

Posted January 17, 2008 - 01:16 PM

That is the place, I have not had any problems parking there but I would not leave valuables visible cause you never know. Last I went there there were other guys parked and riding there too.
So go down that trail, vear left, when you come out on a jeep road go right. A little ways down there is a trail on the right or hit the next jeep road and take the next left to a trail or two, youll have to do some exploring, I post when I'm going next if you want to come.

• OCsquid

Posted January 17, 2008 - 01:24 PM

We should all go scout out/ ride La Dee together when the weather lets up. It would be nice to go with people who are familiar with the area. safety in numbers so the hillbillies don't get ya.

• NW_E-rider

Posted January 17, 2008 - 09:46 PM

I have ridden this area 3-4 times, always a struggle to remember how to connect the trails. One great trail that criss-crosses a hill that starts at the end of an old skid road, obviously man made and relatively new. I would love to put time into a work party to connect/map out some trails up there. Always assumed I would be trespassing or riding somewhere I shouldn't be?

I have been to the top of Goat Mtn many times (once I came about 100 yards from climbing in a stock Nissan pickup w/ 31s). It is so beautiful up there, with unique views of Mt Hood and outlying area. Somebody dropped large rock on the road to the lake at the bottom of Goat Mtn that made it difficult to drive much less ride a dirt bike. Anyone know the story there?

• StevensXR

Posted January 18, 2008 - 01:14 PM

Somebody dropped large rock on the road to the lake at the bottom of Goat Mtn that made it difficult to drive much less ride a dirt bike. Anyone know the story there?

It was open again in September, they had a small timber sale or clearing of some sort going on. They improved the road somewhat, we rode right up to the edge of the lake, no problems.

There is another way to the lake from the West I believe. I found it by accident one day just exploring. Or you can get a running start at the top of Goat Mt. and be in the lake in a few seconds:eek:

• WRJIM22

Posted January 19, 2008 - 03:54 PM

thanks lets ride

• Mr. Neutron

Posted January 19, 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hey, All!!!

I've been following this thread as close as I'm able. I live relatively close to the areas you've described, and have archery hunted, years ago, off of Hillockburn Rd..

Where do y'all park at when ridin' at, say, LaDee flats, and the Goat Mtn./Hillockburn Rd. area? I'm askin' this because I've got a friend that lives off of Elwood Rd. that has also told me about some of the meth heads causing probs for folks (usually horse riders) out in the Hillockburn area..... Although I can't imagine that would be too much of a problem as wet/cold as it's been lately, if a person went riding in the next coupla months or so.......

Best Fishes,
Jimmie

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

PSER Sprint Enduro by shotgunscott

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Seattle 9/24-9/27 by sparky569

• 20 replies
Forums
Photo
Idaho

Saint Anthony Sand Dunes Freeride video by duhameister

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

open logging roads near arlington? by Gnarlington

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

2014 Hareport Scramble by The Hulk

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.