trail ride fuel questions

8 replies to this topic
  • trevorchappell

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Ok I did a lot of searching on this topic and I know there are many variables but I am going on a trail ride on Friday and was wondering if my 04 yz 450 with a 2.8 tank on it will make it to the 70 mile fuel stop... We will be riding on mostly old service roads and not much tight stuff... I have never rode that long on a tank before .. should I be worried???

• weathergeek

Posted October 08, 2007 - 08:31 PM

There was a recent thread on here for how long a wr 450 would go. Do a search on this. If memory serves me right it was somewhere between 45-50 miles on a stock tank.

• racerxx276

Posted October 08, 2007 - 08:42 PM

Just finished a 108 mile desert race last w/e. Thats 2- 54 mile loops. Have a 2.8 clarke on my yz450f. Finished both loops with fumes in the tank..Mind you thats at race speed. but I'd be worried. Bring some extra gas with you , pushing sucks!

• weathergeek

Posted October 08, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Ok found it. Here you are!
http://www.thumperta...ghlight=wr fuel

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted October 09, 2007 - 06:17 AM

Depending on your riding style you should be okay if you are on service roads, but if it were me I would carry some extra gas just to be sure.

• trevorchappell

Posted October 13, 2007 - 08:27 PM

I just got back and it was an awsome ride. There were some service roads but mostly old trails littered with rocks as big as basket balls. The bike worked awsome ... I was still nervous about the fuel situation (they moved the fuel stop from 70 miles to 50 miles) so I just rode the bike easy short shifting most of the time. So anyways to the point .... we got lost for like an hour and ended up doing 65 miles before we found the fuel stop and when we got there i checked my tank and i had HALF A TANK!!!! i was a little confused but i checked with the other 4 riders that i was with (each with an odomoter on their bike) and each of them said that we did 65 miles I mean i was riding kinda easy but by no means bogging the bike ... has anyone else gotten this kind of mileage out of a 450???

• tnl

Posted October 15, 2007 - 08:37 PM

Ok I did a lot of searching on this topic and I know there are many variables but I am going on a trail ride on Friday and was wondering if my 04 yz 450 with a 2.8 tank on it will make it to the 70 mile fuel stop... We will be riding on mostly old service roads and not much tight stuff... I have never rode that long on a tank before .. should I be worried???

Does a stock 04 yz450 have a 1.8 or 2.8 tank?

• grayracer513

Posted October 15, 2007 - 09:24 PM

1.8, same as yours.

• trevorchappell

Posted October 20, 2007 - 03:25 PM

stock has a 1.8 and mine has a 2.8

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.