XR650L gearing

14 replies to this topic
  • radbrad48

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:08 PM

Well, I finaly got all my goodies on my 07 XR650L. FMF Q2, Uni air filter, Dynojet kit, drilled the slide, and took all the smog crap off. What a difference in power. I see people are regearing there bikes. Most say to go to a 14/48. What is the top speed with this gearing. How would just dropping to a 14 in the front be. Also, the 55 pilot jet I bought was longer than the one I pulled out. Everyone needed to order the right one, so I took the long one to work and machined it to the right length and put a screw driver slot in it. What would of happened if I used the long one. Thanks for everyones help and advise. Thumper Talk is great.

• martinfan30

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:18 PM

Well, I finaly got all my goodies on my 07 XR650L. FMF Q2, Uni air filter, Dynojet kit, drilled the slide, and took all the smog crap off. What a difference in power. I see people are regearing there bikes. Most say to go to a 14/48. What is the top speed with this gearing. How would just dropping to a 14 in the front be. Also, the 55 pilot jet I bought was longer than the one I pulled out. Everyone needed to order the right one, so I took the long one to work and machined it to the right length and put a screw driver slot in it. What would of happened if I used the long one. Thanks for everyones help and advise. Thumper Talk is great.

i use 15/48 on mine. still comfy at 65 on the hiway without TOO much buzzing. 14/48 i guess would be like 15/51. i've had mine up to 80 on the hiway and it gets smoother vib. wise, but wouldnt hold it there for long.

• radbrad48

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:21 PM

Does the 48 fit without rubbing on the chain guide.

• martinfan30

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Does the 48 fit without rubbing on the chain guide.

i did remove it. it seemed like a bit too much pressure on it. i have put 2000 miles on it since with zero issues. you would be amazed at how much lighter the 48 sprockett(JT) is over the stocker too. i know some have left it on(guide) and havent heard any problems that way either.

• radbrad48

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:40 PM

Thanks. I see you on here all the time. Do you have an answer about my pilot jet question. What happens when you run the long one.

• martinfan30

Posted October 08, 2007 - 08:38 PM

Thanks. I see you on here all the time. Do you have an answer about my pilot jet question. What happens when you run the long one.

you should be fine with that jet. i have not run the "long" one myself, but if you have machined it to fit, and it seats properly, why shouldnt it work. best thing to do is try it and adjust your fuel; screw to run at idle. you will know pretty quick if it will work, i think.

• radbrad48

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Thanks. It works fine. Everything was the same except the length. Took care of that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:21 AM

it run good though?

• Denn10

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:24 AM

i need to get me a 14 front you got any extras martini??

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:25 AM

i need to get me a 14 front you got any extras martini??

no i sure dont, but do have plent 'o' beer!lol

• Terez

Posted October 09, 2007 - 04:52 PM

I ran into the different pilot size issue too.
Most do, and the average Honda dealer simply gives you the blank stare!!LOL

There are 2 pilot lengths, the regular and the short.
The short pilot has a small s after the size.
The 650L uses the 55s pilot which is shorter.

To my knowledge the shorter pilot is to clear the main jet baffle so it isn't impeded. I think they are the same otherwise as far as fuel flow and fitment.
I think Dave on this site said he simply notched the main jet baffle to allow the use of the longr pilot a it is more common to find/order.

• goblin127

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:06 PM

I ran into the different pilot size issue too.
Most do, and the average Honda dealer simply gives you the blank stare!!LOL

There are 2 pilot lengths, the regular and the short.
The short pilot has a small s after the size.
The 650L uses the 55s pilot which is shorter.

To my knowledge the shorter pilot is to clear the main jet baffle so it isn't impeded. I think they are the same otherwise as far as fuel flow and fitment.
I think Dave on this site said he simply notched the main jet baffle to allow the use of the longr pilot a it is more common to find/order.

I used the longer one also with out any problems.

• radbrad48

Posted October 10, 2007 - 06:07 PM

Thanks again everyone. All you guys are a big help. It's nice when people have the answers you are looking for.

• axarob44

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hey Radbrad. I ran into the same thing with the longer pilot. The long on is a series 21 pilot jet and the short one is a 26 series pilot. I got the same:confused: blank look from the dealer. The Dave's mod's here talk about trimming the slosh baffle so the long 21 series does not interfere with the baffle. http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/

• DBM

Posted October 11, 2007 - 03:49 AM

I'm running 14/48 on my dirt and 50/50 set ups. It will cruise at 65 with no problems. This as fast as I want to go with full knobs and/or 50/50 tires anyway. On my steet set up I run 14/45.

DBM

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.