IMS GPS Mount on WR450 (for Garmin)

11 replies to this topic
  • bottomfeeder2

Posted October 08, 2007 - 03:27 PM

Does anyone have a picture of an IMS GPS handlebar mount for a Garmin GPS? A friend gave me the mount, but it's pretty big. I'm not sure where to place it.

Also, I'd like to see how the GPS fits in the mount. The instructions suggest using a zip tie to hold the GPS in the mount. I sure hope there's a better way.

• dugabrams

Posted October 08, 2007 - 04:02 PM

Look in the dual sport and adventure sections. Lots of GPS info there

• Matt James

Posted October 08, 2007 - 05:41 PM

I've been using the garmin handle bar mount setup all year with no problems.

This is mount attached to handle bars.
Posted Image

This is with gps snapped in.
Posted Image

• bottomfeeder2

Posted October 09, 2007 - 07:22 AM

I've been using the garmin handle bar mount setup all year with no problems.

This is mount attached to handle bars.
Posted Image

This is with gps snapped in.
Posted Image

I used that mount last season. There wasn't enough tension to keep the batteries contacted. So I always had to wad some Kleenex in there to hold the batteries in. I'm hoping to get away from "stuffing". I was hoping this other mount would do the trick.

• Snap421

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:52 AM

I don't have a picture of the mount (I use the RAM) but you might want to consider a hardwire kit from CycoActive (http://www.cycoactiv...gps/powint.htm). You'll never have to worry about the batteries again.

• VFR000M

Posted October 09, 2007 - 12:12 PM

+1 you might consider a Ram mount...that looks flimsy:thumbsup: :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ArizonaWR

Posted October 13, 2007 - 11:04 AM

I have the Garmin mount on my WR. I have notice extreme vibration in the handlbars and the GPS when riding. Seems like this is doing damage to the GPS. It is an extremly hi frequency and if you put your finger on it at speed, it is almost hard to keep touching it...like a buzz. Has anyone tryed to isolate the GPS from the vibration of the bike. Was thinking of mounting to gas tank.

• crooks420

Posted October 13, 2007 - 01:37 PM

I use this RAM Mount on my WR450..... and it works great. I had to shim the bar with a strip of rubber, but it allows the mount to rotate if needed.

http://www.gpscity.c...m/rap274ga5.htm

Jesse

• bicyclebob

Posted October 13, 2007 - 10:09 PM

I have and Etrex Vista and just keep it in my pocket. Hasn't failed me yet and it keeps it from getting beat to pieces. I tried the bicycle mount and it was just to flimsy.

• rich1167

Posted October 14, 2007 - 09:41 AM

Heres a pic of mine. Ram mount + hardwire kit form cycoactive.com

Posted Image

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 14, 2007 - 08:58 PM

I have and Etrex Vista and just keep it in my pocket. Hasn't failed me yet and it keeps it from getting beat to pieces. I tried the bicycle mount and it was just to flimsy.

I keep my etrex in my pocket also. i had it mounted on the bars, but everytime I tried to look at it, it was either dusty or vibrating too much.

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 03, 2008 - 10:54 PM

i run a different model GPS than all the ones shown and i have mine mounted on the left side of my bars, in the same place tho, so that i can mess with it while in route and still able to be on the gas.

sorry that i don't have a picture.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.