Dirt (no mud) in the carburator

1 reply to this topic
  • tom nolan

Posted October 08, 2007 - 01:44 PM

:confused: I was having problems with the idle on my 400 so I decided to take the carb apart to give it a good cleaning. When I took the cover off the top where the slide is housed, I found a desturbing amount of dirt in and around the slide. Does anyone know how dirt gets into that chamber since the gasket was in good shape with no apearent leaks. I change the air filter quite often so that's not the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gsk1968

Posted October 16, 2007 - 06:53 PM

There are only a few ways to get dirt in this area. Please forgive me for this first one, Are you properly oiling the filter, I just got through working on a bike with a brand new twin air filter that had never been oiled. The dust goes right to the carb. the other would be seal around air box and rubber tube going to the carb, maybe even a crack in the rubber not visible. Might take it off and flex it while looking for cracks. Good Luck!

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.