Carb Cleaning

2 replies to this topic
  • bbrown1966

Posted October 08, 2007 - 01:19 PM

Since my bike is in pieces while waiting for a couple tranny pinions, I would like to clean the carb. There was an article from Ty Davis in last months dirt rider. He soaks the carb in Simple Green rather than a solvent. He points out that solvent will cause rubber parts to swell and that is bad. He does a good job of showing you how to do a few things.

What do you clean your carb with?

If I were to soak it in Simple Green, what would I rinse it with (gas?).

Any parts that are a must for replacement?

Is there a good article on here that answers all my questions? I did several searches w/o any luck.

Thanks,

Brent

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gsk1968

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Spray Carb Cleaner from auto parts store, Best to follow manual before you start. This time men need to read the destructions first. Main thing is to count the turns on air fuel mix screw and record it. HOW? count the turns as you screw it in to seat. When you finish cleaning, turn it in to seat then back out to the same setting you recorded. New jets are a big plus...do not use wire to clean old jets.

• todds924

Posted October 16, 2007 - 07:38 PM

Spray Carb Cleaner from auto parts store, Best to follow manual before you start. This time men need to read the destructions first. Main thing is to count the turns on air fuel mix screw and record it. HOW? count the turns as you screw it in to seat. When you finish cleaning, turn it in to seat then back out to the same setting you recorded. New jets are a big plus...do not use wire to clean old jets.

Use numbered JET DRILLS to make sure your jets are properly sized. Even though you may be able to see daylight through the pilot and leak jet,, and assume they are clean, lots of times this isn't the case. With a jet drill of the proper number....you know for sure. Also, if your using spray carburetor cleaner, make sure you remove ALL of the rubber parts from the carburetor before cleaning. You will for sure destroy some expensive parts if you don't. Accel. pump diaphragm, and the slide. The plate on the slide has an o-ring seal. I use the Yamaha carburetor cleaner. I will post the proper number drills for different sizes of jets tomorrow.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.