storm mx linkage vs offset clamps on06-07 yz450f

16 replies to this topic
  • Edge316

Posted October 08, 2007 - 10:56 AM

I havent actually tried the mx linkage made by storm yet,but I am considering it.Last week I asked on t.t if anyone had tried the linkage yet and didnt get much of a response.Just to let people know I got more info on the linkage and found out the linkage changes the head angle the same as a set of 23mm offset clamps.The price on the linkage is 129.00 and if anyone orders one make sure you order the mx linkage and not the lowering linkage.Anyway I just thought I would share this info with you guys.

• msteele

Posted October 08, 2007 - 11:53 AM

I don't have any experience with this linkage on the Yamaha, but I did run their linkage on my CRF450 and I loved it. Many of the magazines reviewed the product for the CRF450 and also give it high marks.

I have checked their website a couple of times and did not see anything for the 06-07 YZ450F. I would be interested to hear how this works on the YZ, but from my experience with the CRF, it was well worth it.

• Edge316

Posted October 08, 2007 - 12:32 PM

It does not show it for the 06-07 yz450f on their web site for some reason.I saw it inside the chaparral catalog and called storm cycle to check and they said they make whats called a mx linkage for the 2006 yz450f.It should also work for yhe 2007.

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Offset clamps and modified linkages do two different things. The clamps increase (usually) the "trail", whereas the linkage raises the back of the bike to make the head angle steeper.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 08, 2007 - 01:27 PM

For $130 I might try it out I aready have the22 offsets think it might be overkill?

• msteele

Posted October 08, 2007 - 01:56 PM

For $130 I might try it out I aready have the22 offsets think it might be overkill?

Do you really think that the 22MM offset are overkill? Everyone (Tag, Tri-Star, RG3, Ride Engineering, etc) all make a 22MM or a 22.5 MM offset. The only one that makes a different offset is Applied Racing who makes a 24MM Offset. In reading reviews of Yamaha's such as Chad Reed's in MXA the pros are generally running 22.5.

I am curious to hear more about what you think of your 22MM offset. What brand did you buy?

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2007 - 03:01 PM

Do you really think that the 22MM offset are overkill? ...
I am curious to hear more about what you think of your 22MM offset. What brand did you buy?

Yes, I think they're more than is required. So does Doug Dubach, whose recommendation is the 24mm offset. Applied's choice of a 24mm offset is based on that and two days of blind testing.

Read more:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=551932

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=550577

• Edge316

Posted October 08, 2007 - 03:40 PM

greyracer I know it is not exactly the same,but all I can tell you for sure is what I have been told by storm and that is that it is close to the same in regards to performance as putting a set of 23 mm clamps on your bike.I think your missing the point I am making and that is for all these people wanting to fix their steering problem Why not try the linkage for 129.00 dollars first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted October 08, 2007 - 04:09 PM

Offset clamps and modified linkages do two different things. The clamps increase (usually) the "trail", whereas the linkage raises the back of the bike to make the head angle steeper.

so basiclly it turns an 06 into an 07? they raised the shock on the 07 1.5mm and it helped it turn. but if it turns an 06 into an 07, are we all going to still buy clamps like everyone did with their 07?

confused yet?

• flintlock28

Posted October 08, 2007 - 06:42 PM

I can't speak about the 06'-07' models, but I know for a fact that for my 04' model Yz450f, the Stormlink made quite a bit of difference in helping the bike stand up Less in the corner's, and overall making the bike "fall over" easier, which makes it turn sharper. It has also not hurt the bike's stability at all....i.e. No headshake whatsoever.

If my memory serves me correctly, other 's have posted that running BOTH the Stormlink AND offset clamps; tends to be VERY difficult in dialing in, and it's more or less, you use one or the other, not both.

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2007 - 08:29 PM

so basiclly it turns an 06 into an 07? they raised the shock on the 07 1.5mm and it helped it turn. but if it turns an 06 into an 07, are we all going to still buy clamps like everyone did with their 07?

confused yet?

The '06 had a head angle of 27 degrees.

When Yamaha made the '07 shock longer, they made the head angle a steeper 26.8 degrees. (this is what everyone was doing to the '06 by raising the forks)

The '08 has a similar head angle to the '07 (26.9), but has more trail. The trail increase is equal to what you would get by putting a 24mm clamp on an '06-7.

Note that decreasing head angle (making te fork steeper) decreases trail slightly. Also important to anyone thinking of swapping the linkage on an '08 is the fact that the '08 linkage was changed to alter the rising rate, and using a Strom link for an '07 would reverse that change, having a possible undesirable effect on the rear suspension.

• Contractor

Posted October 08, 2007 - 10:31 PM

Check out FastWay adjustable linkage. I run that on my CRF490R and whats great about it is that you can change it quickly. Only problem with offsets is that your stuck with it if you don't like the change, not so with FastWay.

• gtguy

Posted October 09, 2007 - 12:42 PM

I just ordered one for my 06. I'm a woods guy, I'll report on how it works in the GA pines!:confused:

• almostinvincible119

Posted October 09, 2007 - 01:06 PM

The '06 had a head angle of 27 degrees.

When Yamaha made the '07 shock longer, they made the head angle a steeper 26.8 degrees. (this is what everyone was doing to the '06 by raising the forks)

The '08 has a similar head angle to the '07 (26.9), but has more trail. The trail increase is equal to what you would get by putting a 24mm clamp on an '06-7.

Note that decreasing head angle (making te fork steeper) decreases trail slightly. Also important to anyone thinking of swapping the linkage on an '08 is the fact that the '08 linkage was changed to alter the rising rate, and using a Strom link for an '07 would reverse that change, having a possible undesirable effect on the rear suspension.

but the storm link on an 06 would be fine?

• grayracer513

Posted October 09, 2007 - 01:39 PM

I would think so.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted October 10, 2007 - 01:36 PM

I would think so.

So if I put a storm link on my 06,along with my22 offsets it would be just like an 07 with 22mm offsets.I wonder how this would work with the same sag setting 95mm and the same fork hight [10mm up] ?

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2007 - 02:40 PM

The link most likely raises the back more than the 10mm you have dropped the front, and so would change the head angle more than moving the forks up did. I would think that the link would do more for you than than pulling the forks up in terms of changing the head angle, but I don't think that I would do both together.

I'd guess that your '07/'06 comparison is about right. Sag would be a start from scratch thing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.