XR600 engine transplant (93 guts in an 86 case)?

5 replies to this topic
  • cleonard

Posted October 08, 2007 - 10:03 AM

I have a 93 XR600 engine that has a problem with the cases. I have 2 sets of cases from an 86 and an 88 XR600. Can I take the guts out of my 93 and put them in the earlier cases? I'm talking everything from the crank to the countershaft. Are there any internal differences that will stop my plan?

This is a long term plan. I was thinking of making a built XR600 engine. The first step will be taking the top end from the 93 engine and putting it on a 90 bottom end that I already have. Step two would be putting the 93 bottom end in the 80's cases and going high compression piston, cam , etc.

• beezerjoe

Posted October 08, 2007 - 05:44 PM

You know when I built my '89 last year I looked into swapping parts around as i had some earlier 80's XR and XL bottoms and tops to play with but I ended up rebuilding the '89 motor instead. As far as the head and barrel and crank from what I saw of the two I don't think that would be a problem and should interchange. I would look close at the chain tensioner guides just to make sure they work on the earlier cases. The one thing I know for sure is different is the transmission from early to later there are some different shims and some of the gears themselves are made differently. I don't know exactly when they changed the design but of the two older transmissions I've got one is very similar to the '89 and one isn't. I guess what I'm driving at is that you should be able to change the top end but leave the lower end as it was originally. The stators look to be different also but I don't if that means much to the rest of the electrical equipment. If you're dual-sporting it you would probably upgrade it anyway. Sounds like a good project.Hopefully it'll be an easy conversion. You still might want to buy some asprin just to be on the safe side:thumbsup:
Joe

• martinfan30

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:32 PM

I have a 93 XR600 engine that has a problem with the cases. I have 2 sets of cases from an 86 and an 88 XR600. Can I take the guts out of my 93 and put them in the earlier cases? I'm talking everything from the crank to the countershaft. Are there any internal differences that will stop my plan?

This is a long term plan. I was thinking of making a built XR600 engine. The first step will be taking the top end from the 93 engine and putting it on a 90 bottom end that I already have. Step two would be putting the 93 bottom end in the 80's cases and going high compression piston, cam , etc.

whats wrong with the case's? leaks? have you posted this ? on xrlug?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:45 PM

whats wrong with the case's? leaks? have you posted this ? on xrlug?

I took the engine apart last year and the crank fell out of the case. It's supposed to be an interference fit and normally requires a press to get it in and out. It was easy to put in and out. Not good. I did a little "surface treatment" that involved a hammer and I had to use force it back in. It was a lot better than before, but I really doubt that it is still holding. I'm pretty sure this problem was caused by severe over heating. I was really rough on the bike when I first got it.

I have three different oil leaks and I 'm planning to take it apart to address this. For the last year I have been on the lookout for parts and I have accumulated two cases (86 and 88 I think). That is what got me thinking about the guts swap into the other cases.

just two weeks ago I found a complete engine from a 90. The top end is screwed. Looks like oil starvation. The bottom end looks good. Now my plan is to put my 93 to end on the 90 bottom end. This should allow for minimal downtime. I'm about 99.9% sure that this will work. That will leave me with the 93 bottom end with the problem cases and a bunch of top end parts that need work. I was thinking of building a higher perf engine from the parts.

What is the "xrlug"? Is that the Yahoo XR650L group?

• Horri

Posted October 08, 2007 - 08:00 PM

I was supposed to post this information sometime back.The XR/XL600's are all the same Gearbox and bottom casing wise up to 93 and possibly longer..Certainly to 93.So from 83 to 93 the bottom ends are totally the same.Difference comes in with the Barrells/Heads /Carbs/Cams as the bikes get more modern..ie may be interchangable but will require work.

• martinfan30

Posted October 08, 2007 - 08:32 PM

I took the engine apart last year and the crank fell out of the case. It's supposed to be an interference fit and normally requires a press to get it in and out. It was easy to put in and out. Not good. I did a little "surface treatment" that involved a hammer and I had to use force it back in. It was a lot better than before, but I really doubt that it is still holding. I'm pretty sure this problem was caused by severe over heating. I was really rough on the bike when I first got it.

I have three different oil leaks and I 'm planning to take it apart to address this. For the last year I have been on the lookout for parts and I have accumulated two cases (86 and 88 I think). That is what got me thinking about the guts swap into the other cases.

just two weeks ago I found a complete engine from a 90. The top end is screwed. Looks like oil starvation. The bottom end looks good. Now my plan is to put my 93 to end on the 90 bottom end. This should allow for minimal downtime. I'm about 99.9% sure that this will work. That will leave me with the 93 bottom end with the problem cases and a bunch of top end parts that need work. I was thinking of building a higher perf engine from the parts.

What is the "xrlug"? Is that the Yahoo XR650L group?

yes, the yahoo group seems to be an extremely knowledgeable group of pig riders. not saying that doesnt exist here, but they are another side of the fact.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.