E-Start help '04 WR450!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • Luigic81

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:14 AM

So I crashed last week and my E-start wasn't working. I looked at it when I got home and one of the 2 wires which goes into the box on the handle bars was detached. I sodered (sp?) it back to gether and can get it to turn over now, but the problem is that when I press the On button (small circle button that makes the red light come on) It automatically tries to start without me pushing the button! When I loosen the 3 screws that hold the little mechanism together it's ok, but when I tighten the 2 little clamps to re-attach it to the handle bars, its on auto start again. Not sure if I re-assembled it wrong.... any input????

• Luigic81

Posted October 08, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Some additional info;
The parts inside the box that I could have re-assembled wrong include: 2 springs (1 large, 1 Small) a rectangular metal piece, the 2 posts, a die cut piece(it's orange) and the button

• ETP

Posted October 08, 2007 - 11:52 AM

Sounds to me like your power button is working, but your electric start button wires are shorted. Check the two wire switch for shorts first. Then look along the wires run from the switch down to the electrical harness. You will probably find a pinched area.
I had a similar problem that turned out to be that a tie down hook had pinched the start button wires and shorted the two together.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Luigic81

Posted October 08, 2007 - 01:13 PM

Sounds to me like your power button is working, but your electric start button wires are shorted. Check the two wire switch for shorts first. Then look along the wires run from the switch down to the electrical harness. You will probably find a pinched area.
I had a similar problem that turned out to be that a tie down hook had pinched the start button wires and shorted the two together.

It seems to be internal to the little black box that mounts on the right handlebar. I say that because there are 3 screws that hold that little button together, and when They are loose, It operates correctly, but when I tighten them, it is stuck in the on(or effectivley it's like i'm always pushing the button) position. So i made them loose to where it was working good, but when I re-attached it to the handle bar with the 2 little clamps and the 1 phillips head screw, that somehow tightened the little box, and made it stuck in the depressed position again?? I don't know if maybe I have the springs backwards?

• Pincushion

Posted October 08, 2007 - 02:36 PM

Word is that the kill and starter switches use the same style plugs. If that's the case then this kill switch should work perfectly cause all you need is a switch to complete the circuit and they both do that.

I'm sure we could spend 10 hours getting the original one to work again, but it's time on this earth limited. My soldering job assured that :confused:

Posted Image

Edit: And one more thing. Stop crashing :confused:

• Luigic81

Posted October 08, 2007 - 02:53 PM

As long as I don't ride with Paul I think I'll be fine :confused:
So you sure that thing will work?

• Pincushion

Posted October 08, 2007 - 03:19 PM

Check to see if the starter and kill switch both have the same plug type where it connects behind the headlight. If so, it'll work.

Both switches serve the same function: to complete the circuit. If you want to test then try to kill switch as the start button

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.