Supermoto DR 650 SE

66 replies to this topic
  • Andreass

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:11 AM

Hi guys!

1. I want to supermoto my powered up DR 650 SE from 1996. What things do I need to fix and what tire size, breakes and everything else should I choose?

2. Where can I get the stuff?

Appreciate a little help please:ride: :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Benrod327

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

look at procycle-online.com for SM rims and tires. no matter how i add it up the prices for SM rims are around that price unless your highly mechanically inclined to make some cheaper rims work somehow.

• Andreass

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

Thanks I´ll check it ot.

Anyone else with tips and DR-supermoto experience? For example: will DRZ 400 SM-wheels fit on the DR 650 SE?

• kristofer

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

I fitted the rims of an Aprilia street bike to my DR650SE.
There was some machining involved to make it fit, but it wasn't rocket science...
Came with a 320 mm rotor in front, which is pretty nice!

Didn't get to drive a lot on them before winter though, but they seemed to perform very good! :confused:

• Jolly705

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

Check out www.supermotojunkie.com there are several DR650's converted on there.

• the_aussiedr650

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

Thanks I´ll check it ot.

Anyone else with tips and DR-supermoto experience? For example: will DRZ 400 SM-wheels fit on the DR 650 SE?

I am pretty sure that the DRZ400 has a different front axle diameter and also the rear hub does not NOT have a cush drive which is probably more important on the road with the sticker road rubber than in the dirt on the stock wheels. Your gearbox may cry enough without the cush drive.

Aussie

• NY T100

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

I just found out that the SV650 from 99-02 has the same size front axle as my DR650. I plan to see if my front SV wheel will work on my DR in the next few days. Later I will see how the rear wheel fits. I have both bikes in my garage right now and just need the time to test fit the wheels and see if I can get the spacing right.

• the_aussiedr650

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

I just found out that the SV650 from 99-02 has the same size front axle as my DR650. I plan to see if my front SV wheel will work on my DR in the next few days. Later I will see how the rear wheel fits. I have both bikes in my garage right now and just need the time to test fit the wheels and see if I can get the spacing right.

I am sure there is detail with pics in this Forum regarding a DRSM fitted with either an SV or GS Wheel.

Aussie

• berni

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:00 PM

NY T00, check out "Center mount muffler" thread. Pg. 2 pictures posted by LukasM. Are those SV 650 wheels? b

• LukasM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 05:28 PM

Hi Andreas,

Since you are also located in Europe, you might want to look at putting a KTM front end on the bike. They pretty much bolt right up. You can get them for good prices used (Ebay) compared to what a new DR setup will cost you. As a bonus you will also have great forks and lots of brake options off the shelf.

My bike isn't finished yet but you get the point:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lukas

• berni

Posted 17 October 2007 - 01:42 AM

WOW! LukasM tell us more....

• LukasM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

WOW! LukasM tell us more....

I started a write-up on Advrider, but its not finished yet. Do a search for "Lukas' Ultimate DR650", that should find it.

I have had a few questions and PMs so I will try to cross-post the stuff on here as well. Maybe tonight, I am going to work on the bike a bit now.:crazy:

Lukas

• berni

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

I will keep my ear to the ground, LukasM. Thanks, b

• NY T100

Posted 17 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

Yeah, the wheels on that yellow DR definitely are some sort of sport bike wheel. Can't tell if they are SV wheels or not.

After talking to some of my buddies at work I found out that making wheel spacers is pretty common. I even came across this place that sells individual spacers for $9.95 each:
http://www.radmfg.com/index.html

I need to do a little experimenting to find the right measurements for the spacers. I have some approximate numbers, but need to buy some washers and start test fitting.

• NY T100

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

I got the SV wheel on the Dr tonight. For spacers I used one old SV wheel bearing on each side of the hub and the 16mm washers from Home Depot.

Going from left to right if you are sitting on the bike the spacers are listed as follows: 3 washers, bearing, hub, bearing, 2 washers.

I have not hooked up the speedo cable- no way to make it work right now so it will be secured to a fork leg. I have not ridden the bike yet, but will tomorrow after work if it is not raining.

If it rides ok I plan to ride on the supermoto track on Saturday.

Here are some pics:
http://s240.photobuc...r644/Supermoto/

• Bobmws

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:49 PM

NY T100,
Did the brake disc match up with the stock caliper? Please keep us posted on what you find. Really curious about the rear wheel fitting too. I'd love to put a set of wheels on my DR without breaking the bank! Lets keep this quiet before there is a run on SV wheels! Thanks.

• NY T100

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:57 PM

Yeah, the front brake disc matches up pretty well with the stock caliper. I did not need to do anything to the caliper. I will look closer and see how far the pads cover the rotor, but so far it looks ok.

• brianwheelies

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

Yeah, the front brake disc matches up pretty well with the stock caliper. I did not need to do anything to the caliper. I will look closer and see how far the pads cover the rotor, but so far it looks ok.

SV650 has 290mm rotors, same as DR650!!!

• deputyperk

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:07 PM

so a sv front wheel bolts right up with the right spacers? nothing else needed?

• Mrmonk7663

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

FYI... and I could be mistaken, but it looks to me that the 99-02 SV wheel is the same as the 99-02 Katana 600 and 750 wheel...something to keep in mind :-) The wheels are interchangeable between the SV and the Katana in these years from the info I came across. Can anyone give me verification of this? Unfortunately, the supply of 99-02 SV or Katana rims isn't too great, but the 98 and earlier are everywhere :crazy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.