YZ250: 2006 and Newer Forks with 2005 Shock?

25 replies to this topic
  • sps3172

Posted October 08, 2007 - 04:49 AM

I bought a 05 YZ250 new at the end of the 05 model year. I got exactly 2 rides on the bike before I had to leave the sport/hobby for a while. Now I'm back and my bike is still basically new. I've read all about the TC KYB forks and have decided that I'd prefer to get my hands on some 06 or newer forks before I spend money on a suspension rework. That being said, even if I paid full retail for a new set of forks ($1500-ish), I'd still be ahead as I'm quite sure I can't sell my bike and replace it with a new 08 for only $1500 difference.

Jumping forward, I've not heard any disucssions about what changes were made to the shocks after 05....if I get my hands on some 06 and newer forks, will there be any issues using them with the 05 shock that came with my bike?

Thanks in advance

• RCannon

Posted October 08, 2007 - 04:55 AM

The 06 and newer shock uses a larger body and a larger damping rod. You also get that sexy titanium spring. Honestly, all very cool things, but no big deal.

Switching out the forks and leaving the shock as is would be fine.

The 06 forks are probably better in stock form, but I dont think I would change yours out until you let someone revalve them. Even the forks way earlier than 2005 could be made to work well.

• sps3172

Posted October 08, 2007 - 05:15 AM

Even the forks way earlier than 2005 could be made to work well.

As I understood it, I'd be better off with a set of 04 forks than my 05 forks. Even better still would be to find the 06 and newer versions. Perhaps I've been sold a bill of goods but I've heard stories about accelerated wear in the 05 forks (2 bushings v the 06 3 bushing setup), issues with getting the forks plush enough (high speed valving) without ending up too soft on the low speed valving, etc.

• adam728

Posted October 08, 2007 - 10:26 AM

As I understood it, I'd be better off with a set of 04 forks than my 05 forks. Even better still would be to find the 06 and newer versions. Perhaps I've been sold a bill of goods but I've heard stories about accelerated wear in the 05 forks (2 bushings v the 06 3 bushing setup), issues with getting the forks plush enough (high speed valving) without ending up too soft on the low speed valving, etc.

These are all the things my suspension guy touched on when I brought in my 05 forks. He said I would be better off getting 06+ forks, or even older ones. Told me the 05's were just very difficult to get to work good for more than 1 thing. Then asked me, "why do you think they only used this fork 1 year?"

My bike was setup plush for the rocks, but I could bottom it at will. A friend's stock 04 was both more plush and more bottoming resistent. I had mine revalved to help fight bottoming, but now it is very stiff. I just figure I'm not riding fast enough. :confused:

• dunecj2a

Posted October 08, 2007 - 12:53 PM

Don't listen to "he said she said" stories. 05 stuff is good and with proper suspension tuning can be made to do what you want.

If you want straight answers and no run around call Enzo Racing. Ross's crew at Enzo is hands down the best with KYB's. Search Enzo here and in the YZF forum. If you send him your stuff you will be VERY, Very Happy.

• BRM

Posted October 08, 2007 - 02:34 PM

I tend to agree with the comments about getting your 05 forks valves first to see how they go. There are some pretty good suspension tuners out there that are more than capable of getting them sorted for you.
If you want new forks why not look at Ohlin's or something for that money.
Good luck and welcome back to the sport.

• RCannon

Posted October 08, 2007 - 03:15 PM

I know Yamaha used the 05 forks for 1 year, but Kawasaki still has them on their KXF 450. They cannot be that bad. This is how they can jutify the high dollar "DLC" coating on the fork legs of the 450f.

The 04 and forks had more in common with the 1997 yz forks than anything else. They were obsolete when they were released. Honda's twin chamber forks were leagues ahead.

Stock forks also have to be valved for everyone. The stock yz is sent with the same forks for the 145lb novice mx racer or the 275lb offroad trail rider. Were lucky the forks work as well as they do in stock form.

I think the 06 forks still have bad valving. The design of the forks makes is less dependent on proper valving. There are also hundreds of combinations of clicker adjustments. They call them "adjustments", but they are more accurately called "bypass". The adjusters allow the fork fluid to bypass the valving.

Dont ever overlook cost as a reason for changing a particular design. If the manufacturers can save 10 cents per bike, they do it. Look at the non-painted cylinders supplied after 06. Do we expect some performance improve from this cost cutting move?

To end this rant, find a new suspension guy. Hopefully a dude that works on KYB forks. I may even be presuaded to try enzo on the 2005 forks. MX tech would also shoot you a straight answer.

I think your current guy is trying to stroke you.

***Feel free to dis-regard anything and everything I said. If you can upgrade to 06 forks for 200.00, only an idiot would pass this up. I just dont see the reason to dump 800.00 to 1000.00 on something that may only be marginally better when tuned properly. Then again, I am also the guy who owns 5 exhaust systemp....4 of which are CRAP!!!!

• mxjosh

Posted October 08, 2007 - 06:07 PM

If you bought them new it looks like you are going to end up buying springs and revalving them anyways. This could get really expensive. Like RC said, wait for a really good price if you're intent on buying the new ones.

• Jomore8

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Will the 06 forks actually fit an 05 triple clamp? Did the diameter of the fork tubes get bigger with the SSS stuff?

• stimps

Posted October 09, 2007 - 12:32 AM

I was looking around for some 06 forks but bought some ohlins 48mxf forks instead. Loads of adjustment including high and low speed compression, external preload etc so should be able to mess them up pretty good lol........The ohlins have the three bushing set up and the slop on full extenesion is noticeable less than my 05 forks even after brand new bushings. The 06 forks still have two bushings just like the 05 forks, although they are a different size as I got supplied some and had to rip them back out.

• RCannon

Posted October 09, 2007 - 04:26 AM

Stimps, I think you are doing the forum a dis-service by not posting a picture of your re-forked bike.

Lets see...aluminum tank, ohlins forks, and no picture???

I believe some sort of infraction should apply.

Let us know how they work when you complete the project. I have always been an Ohlins fan...just a fan as they are quite proud of their products!

• qwert321

Posted October 09, 2007 - 04:35 AM

I have a 05 yz125 and 08 yz125 and would take both forks over anything else i have riden. I would just revalve the 05 fork(actually I would not because I love my 05 forks)instead of buying 06 forks

• stimps

Posted October 09, 2007 - 07:21 AM

Stimps, I think you are doing the forum a dis-service by not posting a picture of your re-forked bike.

Lets see...aluminum tank, ohlins forks, and no picture???

I believe some sort of infraction should apply.

Let us know how they work when you complete the project. I have always been an Ohlins fan...just a fan as they are quite proud of their products!

Bazzillion apologies...this do.:confused: :confused:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back in blue after a mates small misshap killed the back end including titanium subframe, no problem though as I prefer the blue to yellow at the moment. Ally tank is on the shelf awaiting the next enduro. Just scored some 22 offset triple clamps of that auction site(some still on there £59.98 buy it now) so they will be replacing the current set-up. Top clamp came with the forks and is pretty sweet.:confused:

• BRM

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:54 PM

Stimps, great bike,
What ignition are you running and does it make much difference with the two power curves?
Thanks

• mxjosh

Posted October 09, 2007 - 03:18 PM

Wow, those Ohlins forks really make the bike stand out. I like the look alot. Interested in hearing how they perform once you get them dialed.

Did you buy new? Or found a deal?
Are they made for the YZ? No fitment issues with the wheel?

• stimps

Posted October 16, 2007 - 12:21 PM

Ride report..........Sweeeeet.:D

Bought them secondhand (off another YZ250)and they were initially set-up really badly, clickers maxed and full of oil so far too hard. Set them up properly and they are now really good.
Compared with stock they are much firmer but just absorb the bumps with no jolts or deflection whatsoever. On the brakes they are amazing, the front wheel is just stuck to the floor so you can outbrake just about everything and the front wheel just seems so much less inclined to lock or slide. That sort of floppy diving sensation and the feeling of the bike pitching and moving about is massively reduced. If you hardened up the stock stuff to achieve the same it would become harsh.
Traction overall is great and it corners even better. The best description is that you don't notice them at all. Landing off jumps is really fluid and only managed to bottom them once in all three races.
Overall, really pleased. I would not by any means say that the stock stuff is anything but great, these just feel much more sophisticated(fluid) and boost confidence.
Did'nt touch the settings all day but am going to have a play with the highspeed adjuster when I get a chance to see just how plush they can be.
Engineering wise they are solid, on the stand you can grab the bottom of the legs and push/pull and there is zero play. On the stock stuff even with new bushes they always moved a little, guess the triple bushing works then.:crazy:

• hart92

Posted October 16, 2007 - 02:29 PM

unless you just like spending more money than you need to, i would get your 05 forks reworked by a reputable suspension shop. have ridden 06,07 yz250's. and i'll take my reworked 05's over them in any situation!

• mxjosh

Posted October 16, 2007 - 04:47 PM

unless you just like spending more money than you need to, i would get your 05 forks reworked by a reputable suspension shop. have ridden 06,07 yz250's. and i'll take my reworked 05's over them in any situation!

You are a little late...he already bought some ohlins as pictured above.

Thanks for the ride report. You said sophisticated (fluid)? Are you using some special fluid or something? pls share:prof:

• sps3172

Posted October 17, 2007 - 03:28 AM

You are a little late...he already bought some ohlins as pictured above.

Thanks for the ride report. You said sophisticated (fluid)? Are you using some special fluid or something? pls share:prof:

Actually, I (thread starter) haven't purchased anything as of yet. Someone else chimed in with some good info...then everyone brow beat the poor guy into showing us pictures of that sexy-ass ohlins stuff. For a second, I forgot what I was asking about in the first place. :crazy:

• RCannon

Posted October 17, 2007 - 04:19 AM

We did send this thread a ways of ftopic, but we had to see that bike witht he Ohlins forks.

It looks like what you asked has been covered fairly well.

Remember, it matters nothing if I think your 05 stuff can be made as good as the newer stuff. All that matters is what you want. As you noted, this change can be made much cheaper than trading your bike for an 08.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

87 yz 250 by ccauvel

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

bike for female rider? by rhii108

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

brand new bike hell 2012 yz 250 by azyz250

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ125 Governer Running Position by satiagraha

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.