Recommended temp settings for my Vapor

8 replies to this topic
  • swatdoc

Posted October 07, 2007 - 11:56 PM

I'm setting up the Vapor computer on my soon-to-be street legal '07 YZ450F supermoto bike.

It has 2 warning lights that correspond to an in line water temp sensor with programmable settings. The first light/setting is the initial warning that the bike is getting warm. The second light/warning is to basically say "shut the bike down now and let it cool off before the motor is damaged".

I need your guys input on what temps I should set for the 2 warnings. Default is 190 degrees for the first warning and 230 degrees for the second. Does this seem about right?

Thanks
Doc

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2007 - 05:39 AM

Not to me, but it depends on what you're going to run for coolant. hose settings are probably close to right for straight water, or water with a wetting agent, but they should be higher for a proper mix of coolant. If you're running 50/50 PG or EG coolant/water, or a premixed product like engine ice, set it to 235 and 265.

The second number should be the boiling point of your coolant under the 16 psi provided by your radiator cap.

• yama02yz250f

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:20 AM

not to thread hijack but what would be the ideal temps for the vapor on an 00 yz426. or is it about the same?

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2007 - 07:21 AM

Same regardless with all water cooled engines.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • swatdoc

Posted October 08, 2007 - 11:21 AM

Gray - I'm running a 50-50 mix of Coolanol/Cool-aid which was the best combo tested in an earlier issue of Motocross Action.

So with this combo, you would recommend the 235/265 settings, correct?

Would you also recommend an aftermarket radiator cap such as the one by Pit Posse that has a 1.6 rating?

thanks

Doc

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2007 - 12:30 PM

The recommendation I gave is based on the boil point of the coolant I use in a 16 PSI (1.1 bar) system, which is 265. A 1.6 bar cap raises the cooling system pressure to 23.5 psi. I don't know how high that will raise the boiling point, but I would guess something like 280-285 or more. See if the coolant manufacturer can tell you.

• swatdoc

Posted October 08, 2007 - 02:15 PM

I'll check it out - thanks Gray

Oh - any downside to running a higher pressure cap?

• grayracer513

Posted October 08, 2007 - 03:06 PM

The higher pressure puts more strain on the hoses, seals, radiator seams, etc., but if the system is in good shape, it should be able to deal with that. But realize that there is no experience quite like coming into contact with 270 degree coolant, and you do not want to be in the immediate area when a hose blows off, so be sure all that stuff is up to par.

• swatdoc

Posted October 09, 2007 - 01:36 AM

Gotcha - thanks.
I checked the maxima colant, and it's boiling point is listed as 265 as well, so I'll use your figures

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.