Keihin Bowl Question

21 replies to this topic
  • danny v

Posted October 07, 2007 - 01:37 PM

KEIHIN CARB ON A XR 600 R,THE FUEL BOWL HAS A JET ON THE SIDE? HOW TO ADJUST? I AM NEW HERE AND I ORDERD A SHOP MANUAL LAST WEEK. THIS IS MY FIRST FOUR STROKE I HAVE ALWAYS RIDEN TWO STROKE.WOW ! DIFFERENT WORLDS ! THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY HAVE.I JUST BOUGHT THE BIKE LAST WEEK AND IT WAS SITTING FOR APPROX 1 YR.HD THE CARB OFF TWO TIMES "LOTS OF JUNK INSIDE"STILL RUNS OFF AND ON BUT WHEN IT RUNS IT IS VERY STRONG AND SMOOTH:excuseme: THANKS

• martinfan30

Posted October 08, 2007 - 09:51 AM

KEIHIN CARB ON A XR 600 R,THE FUEL BOWL HAS A JET ON THE SIDE? HOW TO ADJUST? I AM NEW HERE AND I ORDERD A SHOP MANUAL LAST WEEK. THIS IS MY FIRST FOUR STROKE I HAVE ALWAYS RIDEN TWO STROKE.WOW ! DIFFERENT WORLDS ! THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY HAVE.I JUST BOUGHT THE BIKE LAST WEEK AND IT WAS SITTING FOR APPROX 1 YR.HD THE CARB OFF TWO TIMES "LOTS OF JUNK INSIDE"STILL RUNS OFF AND ON BUT WHEN IT RUNS IT IS VERY STRONG AND SMOOTH:excuseme: THANKS

what year? if its hard to start you may have a plugged pilot circuit or even a failing stator.

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 09, 2007 - 12:06 AM

There is no jet built into nor attached to the float bowl, at least not on a stock single carb.

Also, turn off your caps lock.

• Denn10

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:33 AM

im wondering if thats the screw to drain the bowl??

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:25 AM

ya no jets on the side of the bowl. post a pic and it will be easier to help you.

• danny v

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hey everyone, Thanks for all the help. the carb was off 2x the gas tank was cleaned out with carb cleaners than rinsed out with water and than rinsed out with denatured alcohal the last time. So i called Mike Jacov at XRs only and the people there are great ! After 6 or 7 phone conversations he pointed me to the spark area because it problem was intermittant i was still focused on the carb. checked the plug wire to the head and spark was strong! put the cap back on than installed the plug to cap and on the head the spark looked weak but i put it in and the bike ran for 30 sec. So that was enough for that day,than i went back and i tightend the plug cap and i felt it bottom out--the bike has ran great! I cut off 1/2'' of the plug wire and replaced the silacone cap with dilectric grease and Waa Laa ! Varooooooom !!!
I think it is important to support the crew at XRs only,Mike Jacov and the rest,he did not have to spend that much time with me but he did ! HATS OFF TO MIKE !!! Then after all that Mike said to call back with any questions any time! Really cool ! Thanks again to all of you for your time it is a huge help.
Next:Tires 130x80x18 heavy knobby--replace with dual pur. 80% street 20%dirt any sugg ? P.S. I will try to get better at typing:ride:

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hey everyone, Thanks for all the help. the carb was off 2x the gas tank was cleaned out with carb cleaners than rinsed out with water and than rinsed out with denatured alcohal the last time. So i called Mike Jacov at XRs only and the people there are great ! After 6 or 7 phone conversations he pointed me to the spark area because it problem was intermittant i was still focused on the carb. checked the plug wire to the head and spark was strong! put the cap back on than installed the plug to cap and on the head the spark looked weak but i put it in and the bike ran for 30 sec. So that was enough for that day,than i went back and i tightend the plug cap and i felt it bottom out--the bike has ran great! I cut off 1/2'' of the plug wire and replaced the silacone cap with dilectric grease and Waa Laa ! Varooooooom !!!
I think it is important to support the crew at XRs only,Mike Jacov and the rest,he did not have to spend that much time with me but he did ! HATS OFF TO MIKE !!! Then after all that Mike said to call back with any questions any time! Really cool ! Thanks again to all of you for your time it is a huge help.
Next:Tires 130x80x18 heavy knobby--replace with dual pur. 80% street 20%dirt any sugg ? P.S. I will try to get better at typing:ride:

you type fine. very possible the last 1/2 inch of the wire had started to break down(HIGH RESISTANCE) and when you cut and reattached it made good contact.

dont forget with a spark plug vs. an aluminum cyl. head you need a lubricant(unlike metals dont like each other// electrolysis) use an anti-seize on the threads.

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:43 PM

I thought I had a jetting problem once too. I jetted way up and way down with no real change. The kicking spark was strong, so I didn't suspect a problem with that. From there I decided to go over the electrical and about 5min into it I found that the coil wire was so loose it rattled and made an intermittent connection. I crimped it down, it ran great, and has for over two years now.

When jetting doesn't help, it's probably something else. I just saw this in one of the other forums. A guy had the same problem and was cussing the new Mikunis on a Banshee as junk when the ignition pickup was to blame. :confused:

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:49 PM

it is usually a simple answer to a common problem. unfortunately we tend to overlook the obvious and over think it.i do this daily working on toyota's at a dealer here in my state. this is why i have to back off for a few minutes and get a cup of coffee, rethink it all. it usually has something to do with something that someone else has done to the vehicle. but i am rambling at this point!lol

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 09, 2007 - 08:58 PM

it usually has something to do with something that someone else has done to the vehicle. but i am rambling at this point!lol

Funny you should mention that because my experience was right after I got the bike. If you were handed a bike with power mods, unknown jetting, unknown history, and a top end missfire, what would be the most likely suspect? Probably the most often fubared-by-the-previous-owner part; the carb.

I considered it more of a troubleshooting process than overlooking the obvious. :confused: It runs well and I learned something. :confused: danny v did also. :confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 09:08 PM

Funny you should mention that because my experience was right after I got the bike. If you were handed a bike with power mods, unknown jetting, unknown history, and a top end missfire, what would be the most likely suspect? Probably the most often fubared-by-the-previous-owner part; the carb.

I considered it more of a troubleshooting process than overlooking the obvious. :confused: It runs well and I learned something. :confused: danny v did also. :confused:

and what better way to learn the inner workings of your bike than to get one that has been worked(hacked on) on by a prev. owner who thinks they know what a needle clip is?

i am in complete agreeance with you HT! :confused:

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 09, 2007 - 10:33 PM

Actually, I forgot that I messed with the clip too. I even made a special tool for lifting the needle out without pulling the carb.

Laziness meets ingenuity. :confused:

• danny v

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:45 PM

Hi guys, someone asked the year of my bike 1998 XR 600 R street legal ! it has white bro. e series pipe with 6 discs main jet 165,pilot jet 65.renthal bars full baha kit,acerbis rally hand guards and uni airfilter at this point.Looking into more of a street tire ( trail wing 460x18 )the spark plug wire was the problem.now i have a hesatation off the bottom from idle.My brother said it was running lean and to richen the idle screw and or go bigger on the pilot jet ? the bike runs hard and smooth and still keeps going all the way to the top !Have any of you guys wraped your head pipe and collector pipe with heat wrap to stop the burning heat ?The head pipe is stainless (wb) and there are no provisions to put a heat shield however i have a tig welder to play with.Wraping the exaust is good or bad ? Thoughts on tire selection?
what do you guys think about the scoots steering dampner?$450.00 thats a lot of $

• martinfan30

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hi guys, someone asked the year of my bike 1998 XR 600 R street legal ! it has white bro. e series pipe with 6 discs main jet 165,pilot jet 65.renthal bars full baha kit,acerbis rally hand guards and uni airfilter at this point.Looking into more of a street tire ( trail wing 460x18 )the spark plug wire was the problem.now i have a hesatation off the bottom from idle.My brother said it was running lean and to richen the idle screw and or go bigger on the pilot jet ? the bike runs hard and smooth and still keeps going all the way to the top !Have any of you guys wraped your head pipe and collector pipe with heat wrap to stop the burning heat ?The head pipe is stainless (wb) and there are no provisions to put a heat shield however i have a tig welder to play with.Wraping the exaust is good or bad ? Thoughts on tire selection?
what do you guys think about the scoots steering dampner?$450.00 thats a lot of $

i dont think its a good idea to wrap the exhaust. after a year or two, you will remove the wrap with a bunch of rust and no pipe left.

• danny v

Posted October 10, 2007 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the input martinfan30,it is something to think about.

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 10, 2007 - 10:00 PM

Your stainless header won't rot, but wrapping it could increase the risk of it cracking somewhere. If I had a TIG welder, I would just weld on some heat shield mounts...

• danny v

Posted October 11, 2007 - 08:26 PM

I thought of welding on mounts but i thought it would be cooler on the leg with wrap.I may still go the weld on way. i started the bike today to change the oil ran for 3-4 min.then I reved it a bit and then it stoped at idle.So I changed the oil and then it would not start ( not even a sputter ). i think the problem is still in the coil wire.I bought a copling early today and a 12 inch coil wire to put on the coil and cut outthe part that looks hacked up inside and if this works than i will buy a new coil because on my bike the wire is part of the coil. the problum for me is i want to do the jetting but i cant keep the bike running long enough to check it. the bike ran strong yesterday i shut it off and today had the problum. i am starting to think the jets are ok main-165,pilot-65,2 turns out on the air screw was ok except for the hesatation comming off idle when i gas it quick.well i have more th learn about four strokes,but when the bike runs it is an e-ticket ride.You point-hit the gas and you are there!hopfuly on the bike !Thanks guys for all your help.

• martinfan30

Posted October 12, 2007 - 11:10 AM

I thought of welding on mounts but i thought it would be cooler on the leg with wrap.I may still go the weld on way. i started the bike today to change the oil ran for 3-4 min.then I reved it a bit and then it stoped at idle.So I changed the oil and then it would not start ( not even a sputter ). i think the problem is still in the coil wire.I bought a copling early today and a 12 inch coil wire to put on the coil and cut outthe part that looks hacked up inside and if this works than i will buy a new coil because on my bike the wire is part of the coil. the problum for me is i want to do the jetting but i cant keep the bike running long enough to check it. the bike ran strong yesterday i shut it off and today had the problum. i am starting to think the jets are ok main-165,pilot-65,2 turns out on the air screw was ok except for the hesatation comming off idle when i gas it quick.well i have more th learn about four strokes,but when the bike runs it is an e-ticket ride.You point-hit the gas and you are there!hopfuly on the bike !Thanks guys for all your help.

65 pilot is very rich! try a 55 or 58.

• danny v

Posted October 14, 2007 - 08:51 PM

Hi, I tried the #58 jet today and it ran like crap,a lot of popping then it stoped. i am thinking still it may be the CDI or the pulse alt. because the problem is intermitant i think it is electrical because it is when hot or cold.when i bought the bike the machanic who works for the old owner said he will come over monday and adjust the valves and take a look at it,he also has the same bike.The bottom line for the carb is it has been off and cleaned 6 times now ( but it was clean after the second time ) i don't think it is carb related at this point.I am gussing valves,cam chain or electrical.i am still waiting for the shop manual to arrive by mail.what are the common jet sizes for the xr 600 r at sea level ? If i take off the spark arrester plate from the white bro. e-serise pipe do i need to re jet again ? thanks guys:thumbsup:

• HeadTrauma

Posted October 14, 2007 - 11:51 PM

Well, if nothing in the carb is weird, then it may be something else like ignition. I'm running a 65/165 jet combo at 3400-5000ft and the bike seems to run well, if not a little fat.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.