lose the 07yz450f!

49 replies to this topic
  • mattwatson

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:53 AM

so it doesent suck up water or sand if i flop it to the left side.

I think you will find that the breather will blow engine onto the filter, this will do two things dilute the sticky filter oil, also the extra oil will carry the dirt through the filter with it. Also when rideing in wet conditions, or you water blast your bike, cover the side cover holes,water will also wash dirt through.I have a 06 450 and stalled with water just over the breather, becouse I knew it could suck up water, (when the engine not running and the crankcase is cooled by the water), I started it then checked the dip stick,found water, so had to ride 10 minutes back, I have left it standard, but thought that a check valve setup,with a small 5mm tube above it to equalise the pressure, with the small tube in the air cleaner box, makeing sure the discharge is not on the air cleaner.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 09, 2007 - 07:15 PM

ohhhh that may be a reason why, i pressure wash my bike, but from a distance, but occasionally i spray into the hole by accident so that may be the reason. then i go riding and it gets spread around the boot

• 02YZ426

Posted October 09, 2007 - 07:30 PM

ohhhh that may be a reason why, i pressure wash my bike, but from a distance, but occasionally i spray into the hole by accident so that may be the reason. then i go riding and it gets spread around the boot

You could always get some of these http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 09, 2007 - 07:52 PM

its like impossible to try and get rid of this trusty yamaha, even though shes bad to me, UGH every time i see the xc250 im like wow i want it now, but then i look at my 450 and im like yum clean smooth 8 foot roost power. then the thought of a ktm is gone for like a week then it comes back. etc! lol

well those plugs look sweet but 14 bucks ill make some out of polyurethane for free :confused:

• Twig323

Posted October 09, 2007 - 09:32 PM

Welcome to owning a dirtbike. We all have to deal with it. I have the same bike and have had no problems what so ever.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted October 10, 2007 - 03:19 AM

So are you saying that you don't change your air filter after washing your bike? That's a big no no, and is probably how you got dirt in your engine. Water makes most airfilter oils disperse in that area, basically leaving a spot on the filter without much oil on it. Dirt loves spots like this, and will get into the engine easily.

• Yamahafan

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:13 AM

I always remove the air filter and put a screw-on, Twin Air hard plastic cover over the air boot when washing my bike to keep water out of the carb. I also put a wooden golf tee in the weep hole of the right side of the engine.

• grayracer513

Posted October 10, 2007 - 05:51 AM

... Water makes most airfilter oils disperse in that area, basically leaving a spot on the filter without much oil on it.

I've never seen this happen. Water has no effect on Maxima FFT whatever. However, foam filters will not stop water from passing through the element, so if your filter gets wet, let it dry or change it before starting.

• BergArabia

Posted October 10, 2007 - 06:50 AM

I've never seen this happen. Water has no effect on Maxima FFT whatever. However, foam filters will not stop water from passing through the element, so if your filter gets wet, let it dry or change it before starting.

Yep.. can confirm the wet filter problem..
I can't start my bike immediately after cleaning the air filter.. Have to let it dry first

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 10, 2007 - 01:18 PM

So are you saying that you don't change your air filter after washing your bike? That's a big no no, and is probably how you got dirt in your engine. Water makes most airfilter oils disperse in that area, basically leaving a spot on the filter without much oil on it. Dirt loves spots like this, and will get into the engine easily.

i useally take my seat off right after a ride clean the box out with adamp rag with gas, take the air filter off replace it with a clean one, then seat back on wash it.. dry it off with a rag, then start it up let it warm up and then off she goes, then i go in and relax

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.