lose the 07yz450f!

49 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:29 PM

Ok so im pissed like bad right now....

My 2007 yz450f is telling me that its going to be a early grenade. i do alot of preventive maintainance like clean air filter after every ride. change oil every 8 hours of trail riding or every 2 visits at the mx track or every race. i re-lubed everything on the entire bike. ive re-shimmed the valves once i check them regularly i run 94 obtain from chevron in it. i clean it after every ride. ok to the point!!!

i removed my seat. took a look at the breather tube... every time i clean air filter.. what the **** full off dirt and sand and sticky shit. put a piece of paper towel down the hole pull it out, full of sand and what not. so that tells me their is crap in my engine. alot of it at that! cleaned out my airbox with a rag damped with gas. not drenched just dampened to get the dirt off the plastics.

removed the air filter. was still pretty clean but it was dirty on one side. i always clean it anyway. (no-toil air filter) i use uni air filter oil because no-toil is the worst crap ever made. look down my air boot. dont see much. run my finger down it. DIRT GRIT CRAP all over. Hm so now i know my internal engine components have been fully exposed to the worst of the worst. SAND!

i cleaned it all up. and put a very very light layer of lithium greese on parts of the air boot to catch what comes though the air filter. i used lithium greese for a sealer around the air filter. (alot of it).. i also drench the air filter in oil and ring it out slightly because its not the air filter that filters, its the oil so i use extra oil. i now installed a twin air filter, that my dealer soaked in bellray filter oil. i thought id try it before i buy it. so im waiting on how that works.

if this does not work. im selling this 4suck and buying a nice new KTM250xc and never have stupid valve breather tube problems or a engine that sucks more air then a bigblock chev!!! 2 stroke barly sucks air compared to the 450.

UGGGH so angry right now. i thought japs were smart?

• glasseye

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:33 PM

I'll never buy anoter 4-stroke untill they figure out how to make them reliable. Maintainence and down time sucks!!

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:34 PM

well you would think for that price of these damn things you would get some kind of quality...

• glasseye

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:34 PM

UGGGH so angry right now. i thought japs were smart?

They are smart, they know how to suck money out of your wallet after the initial purchase.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:38 PM

They are smart, they know how to suck money out of your wallet after the initial purchase.

tuche :confused: thats a good one

KTM 2 strokes and a bigger debt here i come!!!

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 06, 2007 - 11:32 PM

The uni oil works good with uni filters, the no toil ones are more porous.

Try maxima FFT. That stuff lets nothing by :confused:

• KTM303

Posted October 07, 2007 - 04:08 AM

Looks like you'r going to have to change your forum name.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:35 AM

Is your breather tube relocated to the air box......:confused:

find new places to ride?

• Markopolo400

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:49 AM

Seems more like operator error than the bike's fault. :confused:

Remember, a bike is only as reliable as the mechanic. :confused:

• mikedabike

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:52 AM

Wow, what does the breathertube have to do with crap getting past the air cleaner? And what does crap getting past the air cleaner have to do with it being a four stroke? How long do you think that new KTM you want will last if you get sand past the air filter?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • livinloud

Posted October 07, 2007 - 07:12 AM

your actually suposed to change the oil after ever other ride (NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF RIDE IT IS) and oil filter every other oil change. your also suposed to change the air filter after every race, not every race day, EVERY RACE.....5 laps, 10 laps, whatever you run.

• steve_97060

Posted October 07, 2007 - 08:45 AM

your actually suposed to change the oil after ever other ride (NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF RIDE IT IS) and oil filter every other oil change. your also suposed to change the air filter after every race, not every race day, EVERY RACE.....5 laps, 10 laps, whatever you run.

where did you pull those totally unrealistic oil change and filter cleaning intervals from?

• grayracer513

Posted October 07, 2007 - 09:44 AM

where did you pull those totally unrealistic oil change and filter cleaning intervals from?

The air filter interval is from page 3-2 of the manual, although I believe a "race" is considered a complete race day, and not a moto. It depends somewhat on conditions, though, and the big teams do change them every moto quite often.

I change oil every 2-3 ride days, but I don't recommend that with any but the very best oils, and never with any automotive oil.

• steve_97060

Posted October 07, 2007 - 10:12 AM

The air filter interval is from page 3-2 of the manual, although I believe a "race" is considered a complete race day, and not a moto. It depends somewhat on conditions, though, and the big teams do change them every moto quite often.

I change oil every 2-3 ride days, but I don't recommend that with any but the very best oils, and never with any automotive oil.

I understand that, I was just referring to the "EVERY RACE.....5 laps, 10 laps, whatever you run" and the same with the oil of "the oil after ever other ride (NO MATTER WHAT TYPE OF RIDE IT IS)"... without clarifying length of rides, or conditions, those are just meaningless recommendations.. factory teams change alot of stuff out after each moto or race, doesn't mean the average person needs to, or should...but I suppose if people want to over do it, that is their perogative..

• BBrown626

Posted October 07, 2007 - 10:22 AM

Maybe that dirt got around the filter, not through it. Perhaps there was an error in connecting your airbox back up after removal or something.

Recheck your thinking. A new two stroke will require as much or more maintenance. I have to replace my son's piston and rings every six months or so. His clutch lasts a little longer. My four-strokes valves where shimmed once and the clutch and piston have 3 years on them without problems.

Brent

• Whyzee429

Posted October 07, 2007 - 11:11 AM

i have an 07yz450f and I heard the breather tube sucks shit up? what's the deal with that?

• DPW

Posted October 07, 2007 - 11:32 AM

I'll never buy anoter 4-stroke untill they figure out how to make them reliable. Maintainence and down time sucks!!

huhhhhh....

• Troutman

Posted October 07, 2007 - 11:58 AM

All air boxes get realy dirty if you ride in an area that is....well realy dirty. I would not worry about how dirty the box area is but the crap that you found in the boot is troubling. It sounds like your filter is not seating properly for one reason or another and letting stuff past the filter seal un-filterd . You also do not want to use to much oil on the filter, you can usualy tell if you used to much because it will leak out of the air box tube and on to your swingarm. I would check the filter seal after I insatlled it by running my hand around the area where filter seats to the boot, if it is good and it still happens there is a company that makes a kit to help the filter seat better I foget the companies name but I am sure someone here will know. I have never heard of this happening before and i dont think this is a 4 stroke issue but a glitch in the matrix somewhere at the filter/boot connection.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 07, 2007 - 01:47 PM

i change my oil like i said. and replace the oil filter every oil change use nothing but the best full synthetic. for those of you who brought that oil thing up read my first post as to when i change my oil

i don't just remove the air filter and install a new one. i do a entire clean down. i do use ride in dusty muddy crappy wet conditions. but last time it was just pissing rain. very slippery not much mud. sand still got through. i always check the seal from the air filter to the box. and its always extra greased and moderately thick. tight seal. ass for the breather tube today i went to crappy tire and bought a valve air filter breather for a car looks like a tiny chrome k&N filter made by some random company. looks trick. time will tell if it does the trick

as for the fellow that commented on 2 stroke maintainance being more or the same. ive owned countless 2 strokes. i know how much maintainance it requires. i have learned that my 250 2 strokes air filters don't need to be cleaned every ride if its not dusty. because they don't suck as much air
also, the tranny oil for my 2 strokes that i have owned. likes to be changed every 10-20 hours of trail riding and every race same deal as my thumper. but! i can and will use semi synthetic because full is not needed. it only takes around 750 ML of oil to fill her up. 8 dollars not like my thumper when i run out i have to buy 2 L of full syn - 14 dollars X 2 for my thumper. i also don't have to buy a oil filter for it.

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 07, 2007 - 01:48 PM

i have an 07yz450f and I heard the breather tube sucks shit up? what's the deal with that?

yes they suck in what ever they are exposed to. its called poor design. and should not have been released onto the market.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.