Steeering head bearing reminder!!!!!

30 replies to this topic
  • MotoGoalie

Posted January 15, 2008 - 10:44 AM

Good info, Roland, thanks.

anyone know what metric size the steering stem nut is on top of the triple clamps for an 06 WR450?

31 or 32 mm?:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2008 - 11:09 AM

It should be a 30. It should measure 1 3/16" in English.

The SSS forks on the '06 YZF were 32's, but as you well know, the WR doesn't use that fork. :banghead:

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 15, 2008 - 02:24 PM

Just to be sure, the steering stem nut, not the fork cap.

I know, the forks suck, sort of.:banghead:

• grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2008 - 02:34 PM

Yep, stem nut.

• rmzRacer293

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:19 PM

lately i have noticed that when i turn my bars when on my stand with front wheel off the ground the bars dont turn smoothly... they have a choppy feel to them like it gets stuck for a sec but it loosens up and then turns more. does that mean my bearings are shot? its an 06.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 15, 2008 - 04:24 PM

Probably. Better have a look.

• bboyce

Posted January 15, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Dang, I think im just an idiot! I have over 100 hours on my 06 and I never greased the bearings. :banghead: Something I was going to do, but completly forgot.

Thing is, my bike feels brand new..not notches in the steering or anything. I am going to tear into my 250f that I just got and grease them, but should I be afraid on the 450? BTW, I have never washed my bike with a pressure washer.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:33 PM

lately i have noticed that when i turn my bars when on my stand with front wheel off the ground the bars dont turn smoothly... they have a choppy feel to them like it gets stuck for a sec but it loosens up and then turns more. does that mean my bearings are shot? its an 06.

it means either your bearings are too tight and wore into the races causing ridges or there is zero grease in the top bearing.....plan on a replacement soon. The bars will stick if left sitting awhile.....
but this is the typical symptom for shot bearings.....

• Ga426owner

Posted January 16, 2008 - 12:36 PM

Dang, I think im just an idiot! I have over 100 hours on my 06 and I never greased the bearings. :banghead: Something I was going to do, but completly forgot.

Thing is, my bike feels brand new..not notches in the steering or anything. I am going to tear into my 250f that I just got and grease them, but should I be afraid on the 450? BTW, I have never washed my bike with a pressure washer.

no but you probably need to check them, stuff them with grease and do not torque too tight - I would etch a mark on both the spanner nut and the top nut to make sure you do not over tighten:thumbsup:

• TommyBoyee

Posted January 17, 2008 - 02:20 PM

I feel pretty lucky. This thread made me pull the whole assembly apart. The bearings look as clean and new as when they were first installed. Whohooo
!!

I didn't feel like changing any more bearings after doing all the link and swingarm units

• bboyce

Posted January 17, 2008 - 05:07 PM

no but you probably need to check them, stuff them with grease and do not torque too tight - I would etch a mark on both the spanner nut and the top nut to make sure you do not over tighten:thumbsup:

I did them on my 250f today. That bike has around 10 hours on it and I was suprised how nasty the top bearings were, but the bottom was perfect.

I am afraid on my 450 of what to expect. I feel some play in my swingarm, so I was going to pull it off and see what is up, probably the linkage bearings. TO my suprise, the swingarm bolt is seized. So, thats as far as I got, and to top it off, I was going to change my sprockets, went to get my CS sprocket off, and cant get that off either. :cool: :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.