Going Red

22 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted October 06, 2007 - 08:22 AM

I have a 2005 YZ450f which I love.
Moved to Doha and want to ride with my son..
Called the Yamy dealer about getting a YZ450f or a pinger 250 and he can't sell me one. Can you beleive it? Nothing in stock, and nothing coming till next year.
Well the riding season starts now so next year is not good enough..

So I went to Honda and put a deposit on a CFR r.
I can have either a 2007 or a 2008. It will cost an extra 800 dollars for the 08.
Any recommendations?

• Bigcr

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:42 AM

Go with the '08. That way you have the latest stuff.

• dmoney1074

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:44 AM

Any recommendations?

Wait till the Yammies come in or go used in the mean time...

• unpride

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Im not to brand loyal but I would look for an leftover yz450f. They just seem like the best bang for your buck very reliable and well made

• Richie B

Posted October 06, 2007 - 11:18 AM

Go with the '08. That way you have the latest stuff.

its always cool to have the latest tech :confused:

i htink thats wierd that they wont have any 250s or 450fs till next year, did they give a reason? if ur not brand loyal i think the 450r is a great choice, and that new steering stabilizer is pretty trick so go with the 08

• Jaycycle

Posted October 06, 2007 - 11:21 AM

its always cool to have the latest tech :confused:

i htink thats wierd that they wont have any 250s or 450fs till next year, did they give a reason? if ur not brand loyal i think the 450r is a great choice, and that new steering stabilizer is pretty trick so go with the 08

Agreed, they look sweet. I guess you gatta do what you gatta do. :confused:

• Richie B

Posted October 06, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Agreed, they look sweet. I guess you gatta do what you gatta do. :confused:

haha yeah man

how much is the new 08 OTD? if its around 7000 or lower id buy it

• SHIELDS-646

Posted October 06, 2007 - 02:31 PM

The latest stuff is always beter but depending on your salary and you skill is it really necicary to spend the extra $800 for a year newer model?

plus i perfere the new yamahas

• YZF831

Posted October 06, 2007 - 02:35 PM

I'd do everything possible to find a new yamaha. Know a guy who's 08 450r already sucked a valve.

• Justin89

Posted October 06, 2007 - 02:57 PM

I'd do everything possible to find a new yamaha. Know a guy who's 08 450r already sucked a valve.

Me too!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:58 PM

New Honda sucked a valve? Didn't see that one coming........If you can't wait for a new YZ, I would NOT buy a Honda. I would buy a KX 450F as a second choice, very reliable/solid bike.

• WB450

Posted October 06, 2007 - 06:51 PM

No :confused: that's not right, these things cost way too much for that.

• YZF831

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:04 PM

No :confused: that's not right, these things cost way too much for that.

The best part is he had an 06 and 07 yami 450 but they just weren't "good" enough, didn't turn, didn't have a hit, blah blah blah. So now he has a new motor in pieces in his garage and just found out his head is junk. I hate to see anyone in out sport go through this but I can't resist the "I told you so" feeling. Please don't think I'm a honda hater because that isn't what this is about but we all know facts are facts and I've never seen so many motor issues than with the honda four strokes. If you can't have new look for a left over 07 or even the 06's were great, had one before the 08. Or I agree if you have to have new Kawi doesn't look too bad right now. Good luck and let us know what you get.:confused:

• Yamaha4lyfe

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:45 PM

i know this guy. he has a 2003 crf450 good story. that engine makes more noise then a jack hammer.... he needs to be towed by a car so he can bomb start it. funny he cant let off like 4000 rpm or it will stall... i cant believe it has not put a valve though the head yet...

• BergArabia

Posted October 07, 2007 - 02:23 AM

Oooh scarey stories..
I really can't wait for the new Yami's to come in.
The bike is so that my son can ride with me.
He is 17 and will have to go back to Australia next year so we are only talking maybe 9 months max of riding.
I still have my 05 YZ450f which I love and will keep..
Thanks for all your replies guys.. Some good stuff there..:confused:

• Mike546

Posted October 07, 2007 - 02:59 PM

The best part is he had an 06 and 07 yami 450 but they just weren't "good" enough, didn't turn, didn't have a hit, blah blah blah. So now he has a new motor in pieces in his garage and just found out his head is junk. I hate to see anyone in out sport go through this but I can't resist the "I told you so" feeling.

I had an 06 YZ450F and just got an 08 CRF450R. After riding the Honda for a day I can tell you that the 06 YZ really doesnt turn well. I can go inside with the Honda like I never could on the Yami. I had to overcome the feeling that the front end would wash out if I tried any aggressive moves. I still loved the Yammi till the day I sold it and really have no complaints except the turning. If the 08 YZ450F turns like the Honda go and get one right away. I'm still waiting for the shootout and see how everything compares. As for reliability, I had an 05 CRF250 that I changed the oil every few rides and the air filter every ride and never had to re-shim. I see a lot of the Honda's with valve problems but it's might be a maintenance issue with some of them.

• YZF831

Posted October 07, 2007 - 04:50 PM

I had an 06 YZ450F and just got an 08 CRF450R. After riding the Honda for a day I can tell you that the 06 YZ really doesnt turn well. I can go inside with the Honda like I never could on the Yami. I had to overcome the feeling that the front end would wash out if I tried any aggressive moves. I still loved the Yammi till the day I sold it and really have no complaints except the turning. If the 08 YZ450F turns like the Honda go and get one right away. I'm still waiting for the shootout and see how everything compares. As for reliability, I had an 05 CRF250 that I changed the oil every few rides and the air filter every ride and never had to re-shim. I see a lot of the Honda's with valve problems but it's might be a maintenance issue with some of them.

Congrats on the new bike man! I agree that proper maintenance does go along way with any thumper. Just picked up an 08 yami 450 a few weeks ago and they do turn much better than the past years. I'd compare it to the Zuks but still a bit shy of the Honda's but if they keep up the improvements it will be right up there.

• Mike546

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:16 PM

I almost got the 08 yami but I just wanted something different. Congrats to you too.

• todds924

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:37 PM

i know this guy. he has a 2003 crf450 good story. that engine makes more noise then a jack hammer.... he needs to be towed by a car so he can bomb start it. funny he cant let off like 4000 rpm or it will stall... i cant believe it has not put a valve though the head yet...

That motor is already toast. I never see any other color but RED getting TOWED for a bump start. Hello.....McFly.....If it dosn't start in 1-4 kicks....something isn't quite right.

• todds924

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:47 PM

Congrats on the new bike man! I agree that proper maintenance does go along way with any thumper. Just picked up an 08 yami 450 a few weeks ago and they do turn much better than the past years. I'd compare it to the Zuks but still a bit shy of the Honda's but if they keep up the improvements it will be right up there.

Just got back from the races today and all i gotta say is WOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 2 classes-4 motos......4 holeshots......The 08 YZ is the only way to go now in my opinion. I tossed the stock pipe and am running a pro-Circuit Ti-4 Full system with pro-Circuits recommended jetting for the 07. Holy crap. This thing rips . Very satisfied with the purchase now. Just for grins, i also brought out my 06 wich i am very happy with and have been racing for a full year with ZERO problems...Anyway i brought it out to compare lap times.........Solid 5 seconds a lap.......average...sometimes as much as 10 faster on the 08. The real satisfaction is as soon as you hit third gear off the start its all hook up and gone!!!!!!! it's almost like CHEATING!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.