black smoke

7 replies to this topic
  • char34

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:31 AM

help please, my wr450 2004 is smoking black and the exhaust hole in the end has a soot coatingit only smokes when reving it up not on idle,the bike has been jd jetted and has a fmf pipe. i have read it could be running to rich has someone any links to show me how to solve this problem, any help would be much appreciated:crazy:

• motomanmike26

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:44 AM

how bads it smoking?

• char34

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:58 AM

its not thick black smoke just a puff ov smoke only when reving hard, cheers

• Jammer

Posted October 06, 2007 - 06:31 AM

Does you see the smoke primarily when cracking the throttle? My son's KTM 450 EXC was doing that, and making the turn signal sooty. It has been jetted, derestricted, etc. So, I investigated around TT, and decided to drop the needle 1 notch (or, clip 1 up on the needle). It did away with a lot of the soot (there's still a tiny bit), and checking the plug I've never seen a better color on one. The smoking when cracking the throttle is apparently the accelerator pump dumping fuel in just off idle. Don't know if that's your fix, but it worked for me.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mutu

Posted October 06, 2007 - 03:13 PM

its not thick black smoke just a puff ov smoke only when reving hard, cheers

As long as it's not blue smoke, you'll be right.
If you are happy with your jetting, i'd leave it.

• Richie B

Posted October 06, 2007 - 03:24 PM

As long as it's not blue smoke, you'll be right.
If you are happy with your jetting, i'd leave it.

just watch out for blue (or white) smoke, like mutu said. if its really bothering you, post this in the jetting ull probably get the answers u need

• 5valve

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:41 PM

black smoke, rich mixture.
If really black, fuel consumption also rises if constantly ridden in highs.
Sth is a miss, but to what extend only the amount of smoke tells.
If when reved hard, main jet, jet needle are to blame.
Check spark plug colour.
If black, also mixture is rich.
On the other hand, air filter might be to oily and till bike makes air ways through, it will smoke.

• char34

Posted October 06, 2007 - 11:05 PM

cheers 5valve, i have just changed the air filter it was pre oiled and come to think about it it didnt smoke before the change,

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.