XR650R Best Year?

13 replies to this topic
  • jbearsimmons

Posted October 05, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hello. Been looking for a clean XR650R and just wanted to see if there are any problems with the earlier XR's. Is there a year I should avoid or are they pretty much the same since 2000? Thanks for your help.

• husky123

Posted October 05, 2007 - 03:11 PM

Nope they're all the same, just a few tweaks/upgrades after '00 like clutch hub bushing, etc.

• scalejockey

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:13 PM

yep..simply get a fresh one. I bought my 01 last year for $3100.It still had the original tires and the little yellow paint marks on the bolts ,But the clutch bushing had not been updated.It also had a white bros. pipe.Since then Iv'e put over $1500. in it for dual sport stuff and suspension work.

• zook350

Posted October 05, 2007 - 10:44 PM

check out www.xr650r.us for information, also check out the links, great information.

• jbearsimmons

Posted October 06, 2007 - 08:52 AM

Thank you for your responses. I have been reading the posts on and off for a while and recently joined when I sold my harley and cr250r. After considering my options and kind of riding I enjoy I figured the XR650R is the best and most reasonable choice. I can easily street leagal it and there is still plenty of desert left to ride here in AZ.

• CWO4GUNNER

Posted October 06, 2007 - 11:27 AM

I also have a question so I will use this thread.

I am sure many of you have DS your XR650R's. For those of you that use it extensively on road including short highway use, are you satisfied with it as a short intermediate commuter that can double duty as a dirt bike or is it still too light for serious short on road use?

I have my light DS dirt bikes but am looking for something more planted that can handle confidently on a 35 mile on road trip to the next town.

Also does anyone know the 2007 XR650R is the last production year as I noticed I didn't see a 2008 on the Honda site?

• HawkGT

Posted October 06, 2007 - 11:59 AM

I also have a question so I will use this thread.

I am sure many of you have DS your XR650R's. For those of you that use it extensively on road including short highway use, are you satisfied with it as a short intermediate commuter that can double duty as a dirt bike or is it still too light for serious short on road use?

I have my light DS dirt bikes but am looking for something more planted that can handle confidently on a 35 mile on road trip to the next town.

Also does anyone know the 2007 XR650R is the last production year as I noticed I didn't see a 2008 on the Honda site?

I'm very satisfied with my XR650R as an around-town bike. I do take it on freeways at 70+ mph, but after about 10 miles or so it starts getting old. 50 miles of freeway droning is the most I've done and I was ready to get off. Full riding gear (well-fitting leather jacket, ear plugs, boots, etc.) helps insulate me from the wind blast and makes longer stints more tolerable. Taller gearing would probably help that too (I'm just a smidgen taller than stock right now) as would bar end weights and other tid-bits.

Really, it's all relative. As I'd guess you realize, DS bikes are all about compromise. I decided the XR650R was the best compromise between on-road worthiness and off-road prowess for me. If I didn't care about going fast in the desert or having my DS bike available as a back-up dune bike, I might want something more KLR-ish (or better yet, the not available in the USA Yamaha Tenere). Then again, if I was going that street-bias I'd probably just keep my XR650R and get an actual street bike (still love that Tenere though).

I'd say the XR650R will handle whatever you ask it to do. It's heavy enough and long legged enough to not feel dangerous or skidish on the open road. But I wouldn't consider them "good" open road bikes--it's just too much of a dirt bike for that. So, it comes down to how much discomfort you can tolerate without wishing you were sitting on a different bike.

$0.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CWO4GUNNER

Posted October 06, 2007 - 02:32 PM

I owned, now sold a DRZ400s with the basic off road mods. If you have ever ridden a DRZ400s, would you say that in comparison the 650R how it is a better bike in both areas? I would suspect the 650r better on road then the DRZ400s because of power and weight although the 650r claims a lighter dry weight then the DRZ400s, and the 650r better off road also because if it power, suspension and frame. Any comparable thoughts to help me gauge this bike?

Again anyone know if there will be a 2008 model?

• weskc35k

Posted October 06, 2007 - 03:40 PM

Zookis wear out quicker ,nothin much wrong with the DRZ,just the build quality ain't the same.
My registered XR has 15/46 gearing now will do 108(GPS) on the dirt and i can still get up hills in first if i have to.Much better on the highway with this gearing.14/46 felt too short in the dirt and especially the road.
First is actually usable now,it was too sudden before.
The BRP is not lighter than the zooki.

• CWO4GUNNER

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:49 PM

Thanks.

Zookis wear out quicker ,nothin much wrong with the DRZ,just the build quality ain't the same.
My registered XR has 15/46 gearing now will do 108(GPS) on the dirt and i can still get up hills in first if i have to.Much better on the highway with this gearing.14/46 felt too short in the dirt and especially the road.
First is actually usable now,it was too sudden before.
The BRP is not lighter than the zooki.

• philipstjohn

Posted October 06, 2007 - 06:23 PM

I have ridden on the freeway, and as some have said, it will do it, and stay in front or pass most traffic at will, but I do not prefer being out on the freeway with this bike. It seems way out of place for the bike, however, it seems fine and prefectly content off road on a long dirt road at 90 + mph, and the grin factor is absolutely there. I do love to ride it around town though, and from town to town from where I live, but I do not deal with alot of traffic, and posted speeds do not exceed 55mph ( sometimes hard to do!). Overall, I still have not wanted anything else to replace this bike as the ultimate DS machine...

• smicer

Posted October 06, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Greetings...

I am a noob on the 650R,only owned it for 5 mths...In Singapore,its a concrete jungle...alot of us here rides a dual sport bike on daily basis for commuting,then hit the trails on Sundays and do some occasional race...
In short to say,we clocked alot of milege on our bikes..
I used to do all this on a more confortable Dual sport bike like the DRZ400s,XR400R,XR600R and just before the 650R,an XR650L...all bikes have done well on every aspect...
On the XR650R,which comes plated.i am actually testing it's for its realibility...
I bought it (used) with over 62000km milege on the meterand its a 2002 model.and in 5months of ownership,the milege now is 75000km.
You might wanna check this thread.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=530494

I just love its power off all the bikes i've ever owned...Its simply give me the smile on the trails,on the city,and also on a long highway trip..
The only downpoint,it's seat is way too hard for long rides.it eat's up the rear tyre,sprocket and chain more than any dual sports bike..
What i've done to overcome that problem,i've did an adding on the cushion which you can find on the link above.I have also did an extra rear wheelset so i have 1 wheelset with a semi-road tyre for my daily commuting and long ride...and the other set would get a fresh off-rd tyres for the trails...

And the last ride i did cover 2600km..during the 1st leg of the journey,i rode about 900km from night till dawn.. about 6hrs ride on dark highways,with crosswinds...i did a constant speed of 130km/hr...and i've top it at 180km/hr...i have a 14/45 gearing.bike didn't wobble much...the vibs don't feel at all...:confused:

So i just say,the XR650R is a good choice..:confused:

• weskc35k

Posted October 07, 2007 - 12:07 AM

What year = any year from 2000 to 2007.

• porterdog

Posted October 07, 2007 - 06:19 PM

...are you satisfied with it as a short intermediate commuter that can double duty as a dirt bike or is it still too light for serious short on road use?

Over 90% of the miles I put on my XRR are road miles. I live in Detroit, which is a big, sprawly midwestern city with crappy roads and loads of idiots in SUVs.

The XRR is perfect for this mission when shod with streetish tires (Avon Distanzias) and a big front brake.

I use to commute with some regularity. My office is ~25 miles away, typical speed on the way there is 45-55; surface streets, almost no highway.

I *kill* on that drive. It typically takes 5-10 minutes less on the XRR than it would in my (quick!) car. Huge torque, nimble responses... it works great.

I also do some longer commutes with highway stints. Again, no issues. I've geared mine to replicate the factory gearing but with 17" tires. It'll go over 100mph, so fast higway action at 80 is a non issue. Over 30 miles and my butt gets sore, but whaddya want from a stock race seat?

Get you some XRR; it'll do what you want!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.