i need your opinion about an oil issue!!

7 replies to this topic
  • pkemmos

Posted October 05, 2007 - 01:42 PM

hi guys i'm from Greece and i own a 04 xr650r.i bought it used last year with 9.800 km and it has now 15.000 km.i change oil every 1000 km like honda says (i use semi synthetic oil motul).my problem is that sometimes i checked the oil few kms before the oil change and i noticed that the oil was near the lower level.
do you think my piston rings need replacement or is it oil that gets worn out and burnt a couple kms before oil change?is it normal from your experience?a friend of mine noticed sometimes white smoke from my exhaust.i know how to check oil and i'm sure there is no linkage.
please help me with my issue.:confused:

• cleonard

Posted October 05, 2007 - 03:40 PM

1000 km before checking you oil is too far. Check it 200km and add if low. Yes it could be worn rings. I would not worry until it starts using more than 100ml/100km or starts smoking a lot.

• pkemmos

Posted October 05, 2007 - 10:22 PM

thank you for you reply my friend.actually i check my bikes oil every 200-300 km
the oil got lower after the 850-900 km ,not a single drop before these km.so this
it must be normal ?what do you say?

• porterdog

Posted October 06, 2007 - 08:02 PM

Two comments-

1. As oil ages, it will typically get a little thinner. The would explain in part why you lose more oil towards the end of your oil change interval.

2. Both my XR4 and my 650R use more oil with sustained high-rpm use. What's your riding style like?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pkemmos

Posted October 07, 2007 - 10:22 AM

usually the throttle tends to get wide open with 2nd or 3rd gear due to tight courses of our mountain.we don't have many flat or desert areas to go fast.
anyway thank you very much for giving an explanation to my problem.
now i feel confident and confortable to have fun with my pig again :confused:

• Denn10

Posted October 07, 2007 - 09:11 PM

have you pulled your plug lately too see if its got alot of crud built up from burning oil? if it gets bad it will burn it off alot and you can definitely tell cuz your plug will have alot of deposits on it.

• pkemmos

Posted October 08, 2007 - 04:10 AM

i didn't notice my friend .i'll check it.thank you very much for your information.

• martinfan30

Posted October 08, 2007 - 08:29 AM

Two comments-

1. As oil ages, it will typically get a little thinner. The would explain in part why you lose more oil towards the end of your oil change interval.

2. Both my XR4 and my 650R use more oil with sustained high-rpm use. What's your riding style like?

+1...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.