'05 XR 650L Value Help, Please!

13 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted October 05, 2007 - 08:57 AM

Okay, I'm finally looking for my DS bike, and I've been looking all over the place, and have decided I'd be okay with compromising on the older design of the XR 650L, because the other bikes are harder to find and are much more expensive, and I want something with proven reliability. So, I need some help.

I've found an '05 XRL with 2K miles, IMS tank, Uni-Filter, Big Gun Exhaust, and has been re-jetted. He says it's in great shape, and he hasn't had any problems with it. He wants $4,500, and I thought it seemed like an okay deal based on other bikes I've seen, but KBB and NADA both price the bike at under $4K. What's the deal with that? Does $4500 seem about right for this bike?

• BeeDub

Posted October 05, 2007 - 10:56 AM

Bump, hoping for some help today, I'll be out of town tomorrow, going to look at the bike, cash in hand on Sunday...thanks!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 05, 2007 - 11:14 AM

I guess to me 4k would seem on the high end, but its tough to judge.

But if its an agressive buyers market, esp. with cali converted dualsports getting de-plated, perhaps its not so bad a price.

(Like I was a lot of help!)

Dave

• BeeDub

Posted October 05, 2007 - 02:07 PM

Thanks Dave! I'm feeling the same way, and I'd like to know the bike is fresh, so I'm taking a deal I just found on a brand new one! I'll be modding soon enough, those are your mods, right? (Dave's mods)

• gearloos

Posted October 05, 2007 - 03:54 PM

I bought mine brand spankin new ZERO MILES and a warrantee last week for 5100 + tax and lic. So... considering you still have to pay tax...well thats between you and the gov....
but you still have to pay lic. I would say, save another 900 and go new.

• BeeDub

Posted October 05, 2007 - 04:49 PM

Thanks gearlos, I thought about this long and hard, and you're right, and I already had the extra $900 saved, found a good deal on a brand new one and I'm picking it up this weekend! :confused:

The only reason I was considering used is because I could find it cheaper, and already with a few expensive mods, but you never really know if all of those 2k miles were on hard desert riding, so my mind is at peace knowing I'm getting a bike with zero miles, even if I have to mod the crap out of it! All in due time...

• Trail Rider 7

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:13 PM

I would not worry on buying a used 650l, they can be beat up and will come back from the grave. Good luck with your new one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AtomicGeo

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:44 PM

I think the '05 at $4500 was a little high...I was looking a a sweet fully farkled '04 with 3500 mi for $3600.

Geo

• Schwagman

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:23 AM

I'm telling ya. I just bought a bone-stock 2007 "L" for $3k in San Diego. 1500 miles of street and mild dirt. Excellent condition. The guy dumped it ONCE and got scared. He had WAAYYYYY more scratches than the bike. The object here is patience and CASH!

I'll be mod'ing the bike soon once I get to know it a bit more.

Think CASH...CASH...CASH.

Good luck

Peace

Schwag

• jasonc32amg

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:35 AM

I'm telling ya. I just bought a bone-stock 2007 "L" for $3k in San Diego. 1500 miles of street and mild dirt. Excellent condition. The guy dumped it ONCE and got scared. He had WAAYYYYY more scratches than the bike. The object here is patience and CASH!

I'll be mod'ing the bike soon once I get to know it a bit more.

Think CASH...CASH...CASH.

Good luck

Peace

Schwag

Yeah but you got a great deal...most XR's stay in the family for a long time. I just decided to get an XRL after selling ym zx10 a while ago. I rode a friend's last time I went up to Va and the bike just felt right. Most used low mile xr's cost within a thousand bucks of a new one.

• Motosprtman

Posted October 06, 2007 - 08:06 AM

Maybe the seller was trying to recoup the costs of the goodies in addition to the price of the bike. I have an 05650L ........and someone in the family will have it when I am gone, never selling mine. I think that you did the right thing and got a new one you can mod to you own desires / use. Enjoy your new bike!

• martinfan30

Posted October 06, 2007 - 09:03 AM

Maybe the seller was trying to recoup the costs of the goodies in addition to the price of the bike. I have an 05650L ........and someone in the family will have it when I am gone, never selling mine. I think that you did the right thing and got a new one you can mod to you own desires / use. Enjoy your new bike!

ya me too. mine will be a heirloom(kinda already is lol)!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:55 AM

Thanks Dave! I'm feeling the same way, and I'd like to know the bike is fresh, so I'm taking a deal I just found on a brand new one! I'll be modding soon enough, those are your mods, right? (Dave's mods)

The mods are named after me, but only because I talked about them so much, and helped to spread them. They originated with the fine folks over at the yahoo XRLUG group, and I later learned that baja designs used to sell the whole kit, including the drill bit!

Over at 4strokes they became know as the dave mods, even though Brian over there contributed much detail to the writeup, and took the photos.

Its my (somewhat unearned) 15 minutes, I guess!!

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted October 06, 2007 - 03:07 PM

The mods are named after me, but only because I talked about them so much, and helped to spread them. They originated with the fine folks over at the yahoo XRLUG group, and I later learned that baja designs used to sell the whole kit, including the drill bit!

Over at 4strokes they became know as the dave mods, even though Brian over there contributed much detail to the writeup, and took the photos.

Its my (somewhat unearned) 15 minutes, I guess!!

Dave

you still deserve credit for getting the idea out in the open. if i were to start over with a brand new L, i'd do these mods over the djet kit.:confused:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.