New to the show 2007 650L tips

35 replies to this topic
  • BeeDub

Posted October 09, 2007 - 12:07 PM

maybe the difference is your bike is a CAL. spec. ours are federal spec. he did put a kit on his.

maybe you can just remove the smog and cut the tubes off the plates, then weld up the cut off end. i just dont see why yours would be that different.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think IMS is a CA based company, you'd think that might have an impact. I also don't see why a CA bike would've changed from last year either. I hope someone who knows about this issue (has an '07 in CA and has done it) chimes in.

EDIT: That was meant as no offense to martinfan, as I've seen plenty of good advice from him here...

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 01:06 PM

none taken, and thank you.:confused:

• trippinwilly

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:24 PM

The IMS will fit on an 07. I have one and it went on smooth. Mine is a California bike also. They tried to tell me the same thing, I said ok my mistake, it is an 01 so they would not try to talk me out of it.

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:28 PM

The IMS will fit on an 07. I have one and it went on smooth. Mine is a California bike also. They tried to tell me the same thing, I said ok my mistake, it is an 01 so they would not try to talk me out of it.

no problems installing it? i didnt think it'd be an issue. thanks for clearing it up for us.

• Denn10

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:33 PM

yeah THANKS for all the bad info MARTIN LOL JK Damn people dont even know what their selling

• BeeDub

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:37 PM

yeah THANKS for all the bad info MARTIN LOL JK Damn people dont even know what their selling

Like I said, the guy said it was based on customer complaints, who knows?

• BeeDub

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:38 PM

Thanks a lot, I'll get on it then. Should I leave this stuff on until the bike is broken in, or does it matter? Anyway, no need to worry about them talking me out of it, all I have to do is click! :confused:

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:41 PM

Like I said, the guy said it was based on customer complaints, who knows?

ya, no telling what happens when some of these people start wanting to wrench on their own bikes! how do you have (not directed at you, just the people that complained!) a problem with 2 nickel sized peices of metal and 4 screws!!LOL!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:42 PM

Thanks a lot, I'll get on it then. Should I leave this stuff on until the bike is broken in, or does it matter? Anyway, no need to worry about them talking me out of it, all I have to do is click! :confused:

broken in, not broken in, it wont make a bit of difference.

• BeeDub

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:49 PM

broken in, not broken in, it wont make a bit of difference.

Cool, then I'll just base it on how well my wallet can handle it!

I hope this rant has been helpful to the original poster, the smog removal is one of the big things for me.

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 02:59 PM

Cool, then I'll just base it on how well my wallet can handle it!

I hope this rant has been helpful to the original poster, the smog removal is one of the big things for me.

kinda funny how much a post can wander around! it'll probably end up an oil thread LOL!

• trippinwilly

Posted October 09, 2007 - 06:52 PM

no problems installing it? i didnt think it'd be an issue. thanks for clearing it up for us.

Not one problem. The instructions are kinda confusing, so I went on 4strokesdotcom and looked at the technical section with pictures to make sure I was doing it right.

James

• trippinwilly

Posted October 09, 2007 - 06:54 PM

Not a problem, glad I could help. Don't expect a huge power gain, if any, but it will clear up all of that decel popping noise! :confused: I did mine around 300 miles, I don't think it would make a difference if it was broken in or not.

James

• radvocaat

Posted October 09, 2007 - 09:18 PM

IMO--Dial your suspension!!! Let the pros do it, and you'll be happy!
Also, for dirt only like you said, I would look into a different front light and a computer to replace the stock speedo. I weighed mine at approx. 6 1/2 pounds. Thats a lot of weight up high on the front end.
Obvious to me would be carb mods(made my own block off plates after removing all the junk and copying onto a peice of aluminium), pegs, plastic tank, taller bars(I put a RWS upper triple too, but im 6'4"), fork brace, pipe and header, and please get rid of the stock tail light(man it's ugly and very cheap to swap out to something smaller!),14/48 sprockets and knobbies(I like a 120 for the back, no wider for me!)

My list goes on and on, but it's been a long work in process!
Again, just my experience and opinion.
Peace--R

• Schwagman

Posted October 10, 2007 - 03:44 AM

Junst got a Dunlop 739AT 120/100 on the rear. Slid in nicely. NOW! if I can just NOT pinch the tube this time I'll be set. :confused: Talk about monkeys and footballs. I wish I had a video. I chased that tire and rim around the garage for a good hour. What a humbling experience. I forgot what a fight it can be.

Anyways, since I just got the '07, here are things I'm getting rid of as I find the lack of need for the parts. Takin' it slowly, so far I got rid of the rear pegs until I think I may need them again. Question: I understand that on the Dual Sports I can carry a passenger off road because the bike is designed for such. True???

Also, as I inspected the area where I removed the old tire, there is a "chain guard". I think it's mostly a "placard holder" for tire inflation information. Anyways, I got rid of it; however, there remains, in very close proximity to the tire width on the left inside of the swing arm, an aluminum tab that opposes the direction of tire rotation that "could" come in contact. I am going to observe it over the next few trips to see if I should get rid of it and grind it flat. Trying to preserve any and all original parts, I would not desire to get rid of something I may need in the future should I rebuild it to original condition.

Also, I understand that if performing "Dave's Mods" I can utilize the stock "CA" exhuast if I take the baffle out (did I spell that right?). If true do I do that simply by removing the two screws on the tip and Dremel down the welds.

Thanks for all the great information.

Schwag

• martinfan30

Posted October 10, 2007 - 07:52 AM

Junst got a Dunlop 739AT 120/100 on the rear. Slid in nicely. NOW! if I can just NOT pinch the tube this time I'll be set. :confused: Talk about monkeys and footballs. I wish I had a video. I chased that tire and rim around the garage for a good hour. What a humbling experience. I forgot what a fight it can be.

Anyways, since I just got the '07, here are things I'm getting rid of as I find the lack of need for the parts. Takin' it slowly, so far I got rid of the rear pegs until I think I may need them again. Question: I understand that on the Dual Sports I can carry a passenger off road because the bike is designed for such. True???

Also, as I inspected the area where I removed the old tire, there is a "chain guard". I think it's mostly a "placard holder" for tire inflation information. Anyways, I got rid of it; however, there remains, in very close proximity to the tire width on the left inside of the swing arm, an aluminum tab that opposes the direction of tire rotation that "could" come in contact. I am going to observe it over the next few trips to see if I should get rid of it and grind it flat. Trying to preserve any and all original parts, I would not desire to get rid of something I may need in the future should I rebuild it to original condition.

Also, I understand that if performing "Dave's Mods" I can utilize the stock "CA" exhuast if I take the baffle out (did I spell that right?). If true do I do that simply by removing the two screws on the tip and Dremel down the welds.

Thanks for all the great information.

Schwag

its n ot much fun with a passenger on these bikes.

i removed my chain guard too. i left the tabs with no problems and i run a 130 mt21 rear.

you can remove the baffle like you stated, but it sounds kinda goofy. get a good aft. mkt. slip on.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.