New to the show 2007 650L tips

35 replies to this topic
  • Schwagman

Posted October 05, 2007 - 04:39 AM

Hey I'm new to TT. Don't want to make anyone hate immediately but, I landed a '07 L for $3K here in San Diego. Older guy who still thinks he's bullet proof dumped it ONCE!!! He got all scratched up and scared. Bike barely got touched. Sooooo....I'm lookin' to make some changes leaning far more toward dirt then street. Need some sound advice from the proven.

I know I wanna change tires to knobbies. I wanna change tank to plastic/bigger. What brand/model/size tire? What tank? What else? Pipe? Carb Mods. I definately want to keep everything legal for registration. But I NEED to lighten this thing up. Lots of extra metal junk that needs to go! And, what's up with these little rubber thingies being used for turn signals. Isn't there some lightweight L.E.D. substitute. Can anything be done with the battery compartment as a counter-balance for that exhaust?

Sound suggestions would be appreciated.

I too am an older guy but I think I have learned NOT to try to keep up with the kids. Oh Yeah. I need some body armor...any help or suggestions.

Schwag

• Motosprtman

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:12 AM

Daves Mods are probably the most popular and economical. Some like the Dynojet kit, which is more expensive, but works good too. Basically the term "uncorked", needs to be done, which includes the opening of the airbox or "snorkle" as it is called. Rejetting the carb, and an aftermarket pipe. Also included is the removal of the smog equipment. The bike will start easier and idle better, throttle response is improved and overall "feel" or as it is called "drivability". Pulls harder, longer and runs cooler too.

• walshdanielm1965

Posted October 05, 2007 - 11:54 AM

I ride 90% dirt 10% street, Here are my mods....
1)Daves mods
2)Tires -Dunlop 606 on the front, Dunlop 739AT on the rear(not DOT).
3)IMS 4.0 tank (not DOT)
4) RTT stabilizer & RSW fork brace & Protaper bars
5) WB E2 pipe

check out the garage!

• percyco

Posted October 05, 2007 - 01:02 PM

Here's what I did.....01 xr650l

Dunlop 606 tires, 130 on the rear
Dave's mods
Uni filer and gut airbox
Smog stuff elminated
R model tail light
Skid plate
Bar end mirror
White Bros. XCR exhaust
48/14 sprockets

• jonr3

Posted October 05, 2007 - 01:03 PM

Do Dave's mods or DynoJet, add a skidplate (the ThumperTalk store has a good one), add new exhaust (I use a ProCircuit T-4), swap to good tires for your sandy, rocky terrain (I use Dunlop D606s), change handlebars and add a good set of bark busters, remove smog, do the airbox mods, and RIDE!!!:confused: There will always be more that you can do to it as you go...

• scalejockey

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:20 PM

re-valve the shock and fork,get a better pipe (lighter), dirt tires,taller bars..and that's just for starters.

• Schwagman

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:04 AM

Thanks gang,

Shopping, Shopping, Shopping!!!.

I'm gonna run her long and hard the way she is at Ocotillo Wells on the first big weekend coming up. Maybe I'll understand a bit more about what she wants, and again, what she needs. I would really like to start with a new tire on the back and a plastic tank so I don't screw up the stock when I accidentally put her down.

What plastic(brand) tank and size(qty.) do you recommend? I would very much like to have RED plastic. Where do I get one?

Schwag

• scalejockey

Posted October 06, 2007 - 05:41 AM

I like my IMS 3.5 gal. but it's on a xrr

• tfb4me

Posted October 06, 2007 - 06:57 AM

here's a good plastic tank in red!I use the Clarke 4.7 gal tank but I think it's only sold here in Canada not to sure???If I were you I would keep it as close to stock as possible!A good set of knobbies a good set of bars and that new tank was as far as I went...Well that and a new top end.The guy before me had all kinds of mods done to it and it just didn't last as it should have.SO when thinking of moding it you should decide weather or not you want to drive it like it's stolen or if you want to keep it for many many years keep it stock and keep it maintained and it will last!:confused:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/I...1QQcmdZViewItem

• Motosprtman

Posted October 06, 2007 - 08:01 AM

you can get RED IMS tank via XR's only.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 06, 2007 - 09:04 AM

here is a good site too....

http://www.justgasta...type=1&model=24

• HeadingNorth

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:04 AM

Hey congrats on scoring the XR!! I'm a former SD eggan myself.
If I may ask:

Not to be a total dumbass:bonk: and of couse I may be to late:p

What are "Dave's Mods" and where can I find a list of how to do them.

I have an XL600R now but in the spring I'm leaning toward an XR650L.:confused:

• martinfan30

Posted October 06, 2007 - 03:10 PM

here you go, do the mods and you will be more than happy with the results!

http://www.4strokes....&TOPIC_ID=11416

• HeadingNorth

Posted October 06, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Thanks so much!!!!:confused:

Is the the procedure AKA "Uncorking":confused:

Do other Honda's need this prcedure also or is this an XR only thing:crazy:

• martinfan30

Posted October 06, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Thanks so much!!!!:confused:

Is the the procedure AKA "Uncorking":confused:

Do other Honda's need this prcedure also or is this an XR only thing:crazy:

any stock bike can benefit from similar carb mods. they may need a little different shim or jets, but anytime you can open 'em up it will run so much better.

uncorking includes free flowing exhaust, after market air filter(foam is best) and airbox mods(removing the snorkel, drilling extra holes, etc.). not to mention removing any smog/emissions BS.

• HeadingNorth

Posted October 06, 2007 - 07:39 PM

Ahhh, Thanks. I'm just getting into my own maint.on my XL. I'll look at my service manual and see if I can apply this. When I get the XR it will surly be done.

Getting back to the spirit of this thread, what the best way to beef up the subframe to handle hard bags.

• BeeDub

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:37 AM

For your info, I just bought a brand new '07 XR650L the other day and am looking into mods as well, and asked IMS about their smog block-off kit. They said for some reason it doesn't fit the '07. I'm not sure why, and they aren't either, because we both thought the bike hadn't changed. Anyway, just keep it in mind and find out from others what they've done before you order. Maybe it's a myth, but the guy said he actually got this info from customers that it doesn't work.

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:49 AM

For your info, I just bought a brand new '07 XR650L the other day and am looking into mods as well, and asked IMS about their smog block-off kit. They said for some reason it doesn't fit the '07. I'm not sure why, and they aren't either, because we both thought the bike hadn't changed. Anyway, just keep it in mind and find out from others what they've done before you order. Maybe it's a myth, but the guy said he actually got this info from customers that it doesn't work.

i think its just because the bike is so new and the catalogs arent updated yet. i've looked at my buddies 07 and its identical to my 05. you will be fine with the kit.

• BeeDub

Posted October 09, 2007 - 11:54 AM

i think its just because the bike is so new and the catalogs arent updated yet. i've looked at my buddies 07 and its identical to my 05. you will be fine with the kit.

I understand what you're saying, and that was my inclination too, but the guy who responded to me specifically told me it was a customer feedback issue (not just one customer), not a catalogue update.

• martinfan30

Posted October 09, 2007 - 12:00 PM

I understand what you're saying, and that was my inclination too, but the guy who responded to me specifically told me it was a customer feedback issue (not just one customer), not a catalogue update.

maybe the difference is your bike is a CAL. spec. ours are federal spec. he did put a kit on his.

maybe you can just remove the smog and cut the tubes off the plates, then weld up the cut off end. i just dont see why yours would be that different.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.