Installing a New Gas tank for first time

7 replies to this topic
  • abriymoch

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:29 PM

I just bought a new gas tank and I was wondering if anyone had some instructions on installing it. I'm knew to mechanics, but I'm trying to pick up on it. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the nuts and bolts. It's a Clarke 4.7 Gal for an XR650L. Requires the petcock off the old tank, think I can handle that too. I opened it up and some plastic shavings fell out. What should I use to wash out the inside? Also, there was a piece of metal "inside" the tank, rusty. I've attached a picture. This appears to be some kind of safety bar? Anyway, if you have some suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Posted Image

• martinfan30

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:42 PM

I just bought a new gas tank and I was wondering if anyone had some instructions on installing it. I'm knew to mechanics, but I'm trying to pick up on it. I'm pretty sure I can figure out the nuts and bolts. It's a Clarke 4.7 Gal for an XR650L. Requires the petcock off the old tank, think I can handle that too. I opened it up and some plastic shavings fell out. What should I use to wash out the inside? Also, there was a piece of metal "inside" the tank, rusty. I've attached a picture. This appears to be some kind of safety bar? Anyway, if you have some suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

Posted Image

i cant even guess as to what that piece of metal is for. one thing for sure if its rusty, it has no place in a fuel tank!

i would use some water to slosh around in the tank and let dry COMPLETELY. before you put the petcock on. maybe even blow it out with compressed air. you dont want anything that may end up restricting the fuel flow through the petcock.

• heavyhitter

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:44 PM

Use that to connect the tank to the old shroud mounts...its for stability

• abriymoch

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Should I use just water, soap and water, some other detergent?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:48 PM

Should I use just water, soap and water, some other detergent?

just water IMHO. i would say gasoline, but that would be enviornmentally incorrect:blah: LOL

• husky123

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:23 AM

The 'safety bar' just attaches to the brass boss' on both sides of the tank and the middle goes in front of the frame. It attempts to give the tank more stability like the stock setup.

Clean the inside of the tank well with water or mild soap and water, rinse well, blow out with compressed air and let air dry. You should be good to go.

Lee

• miretdi

Posted October 05, 2007 - 07:13 AM

Like husky123 said it is suppose to attach for tank stability. I left mine off and have had no problems (9k miles later with some tumbles) maybe I'm just lucky? If you did want to add more stability some people have used small tie rod ends which look way better then a rusted piece of wire.

• tcj650

Posted October 07, 2007 - 05:56 PM

Isopropyl alcohol works well and dries really quick. just put one one my XRL and it was pretty easy. take your time

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.