Plug change - tight coil

4 replies to this topic
  • bottomfeeder2

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:12 AM

'05 WR450

Changing my plug for the first time. (I know, I've waited too long) :confused:

So I got the tank off, disconnected the coil, removed the old plug, and got the new plug back in. I can't get the coil back into that hole though.

SO WHAT'S THE TRICK?

I'm not a big fan of getting a bigger hammer unless I'm sure that's the right course to take. The hole is tapered though and each taper has another notch for the rubber thingie to catch on. Is the answer just to push harder until it gets clear down to the plug?

Is there any trick to making more clearance up top so I can push it straight down? I moved the clutch cable and gently pushed as many wires & zip ties out of the way (not much though).

What am I missing? :confused:

• markturbo

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:19 AM

It will go! Like you said, move the cables back out of the way so it's just the bare frame above the coil. Just work it down, rotating the coil back and forth just a little while pushing down. You could also put a little bit of lube on the outer edge of the lower boot of the coil, this will help it slide down easier as the rubber does grip on the inside while pushing it down.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:45 AM

Its kind of a pain. There isn't any side room to rock the cap tube back and forth, so you just have to apply some force straight down. You'll feel it latch on. Shouldn't need any more force than your hands.
You may want to make sure the top of the new plug looks just like the plug you pulled out.

• bottomfeeder2

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:57 AM

You may want to make sure the top of the new plug looks just like the plug you pulled out.

I compared the numbers. I didn't really look at the characteristics though.

• bottomfeeder2

Posted October 04, 2007 - 12:19 PM

The plugs is in and the coil is on. Mission complete.

Thanks!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.