Help a newb with mounting some accessory lights

11 replies to this topic
  • bigboy292000

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:32 AM

I am considering adding a smaller self-contained flood HID from Trailtech to my bike (probably the 13W one - as I am running heated grips too I think a 30W one would be pushing it too much), I'll figure how to mount it somewhere on the front... however - my question is - any help on where to hook it into the electrical system?

I have done mechanical stuff before but electrical stuff is a bit of a mystery to me still. I'd appreciate pointers.

I'd like to be able to run it when bike is on, both with low and high beam. Seeing that the wattage is relatively low I thought I'd just wire it with the low beam but I'd like to have it when high is on too... but if that is too much work I guess I could forget about that...

Any ideas? As in - where to splice exactly - where the wires are and which color? :confused:

• plugeye

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:18 AM

theres a connector in the headlight cable bundle thats unused. it has a brown wire (+12V) & black/white stripe wire (-12V or Ground). this powers up when the key is in the on position. the only thing to watch out for is if you lock the steering & turn the key to the park position, it will be switched on.

• bigboy292000

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:53 AM

theres a connector in the headlight cable bundle thats unused. it has a brown wire (+12V) & black/white stripe wire (-12V or Ground). this powers up when the key is in the on position. the only thing to watch out for is if you lock the steering & turn the key to the park position, it will be switched on.

:confused: Sweet! What I needed, thanks!! :confused:

I'll report back when I get this one!

• Wybs

Posted October 04, 2007 - 09:13 AM

I would say the DR can handle the 30W aux light without any problems, but that ASSumes the HID controller is also part of the 30 watts, if the controller uses additional power, that might be pushing it. I run handwarmers and the 55w low and 55w high all at the same time w/o problems. The high is cycled but I have done some long rides with all 3. I usually turn off the handwarmers a few miles from home to let the battery get a few more amps of charge, but I have tested it running all 3 right til it was turned off and the battery is still strong (2001 original).

• bigboy292000

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:15 AM

Ah interesting good to know... hmmm I might go for 30W then and melt the paint off cars that are in front of me (seeing that 30W HID is supposedly comparale to 90W halogen)! :confused:

Yeah - Trailtech has several models (both 30 and 13W) that have integrated ballast and all. Example:

http://trailtech.net...hid_scmr16.html

Yea it's a little pricey but so is my head!

• HeedJSU

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:49 AM

sorry to hijack, but after doing a search, I've come up with a thousand different theories as to what kind of extra draw the DR can handle. I've thought about adding a pair of Hella 500's to the bike, but I may be dreaming. any thoughts?

Justin

• mxrob

Posted October 04, 2007 - 03:53 PM

sorry to hijack, but after doing a search, I've come up with a thousand different theories as to what kind of extra draw the DR can handle. I've thought about adding a pair of Hella 500's to the bike, but I may be dreaming. any thoughts?

Justin

Yes, darkness and silence very soon. :confused: The DR650 has a 200w stator on a good day. :confused:

• Wybs

Posted October 05, 2007 - 04:42 AM

If you got rid of the stock light, you could run 1 Hella 500 (I believe they have 2-55W bulbs). As stated a pair is probably way over, although I have never pushed it too far so who knows. I have never seen good data on what the bike draws. The output spec is 200W and I believe I am close to that. Since my LED tail light quit last weekend (really was just a little corrosion) and the only spare I had was a filament bulb, I am now at 55W light +55W light +35W handwarmers +8W tail + 3W tag light for a total of 156W. On top of that is the ignition, vapor computer

• plugeye

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:00 AM

If you got rid of the stock light, you could run 1 Hella 500 (I believe they have 2-55W bulbs). As stated a pair is probably way over, although I have never pushed it too far so who knows. I have never seen good data on what the bike draws. The output spec is 200W and I believe I am close to that. Since my LED tail light quit last weekend (really was just a little corrosion) and the only spare I had was a filament bulb, I am now at 55W light +55W light +35W handwarmers +8W tail + 3W tag light for a total of 156W. On top of that is the ignition, vapor computer

good to know. i need more illumination. does yours light up the road pretty well?

• Wybs

Posted October 05, 2007 - 06:49 AM

I am very happy with the buell. The shape of the low is good, lights up everything below a pretty defined line. The high fills in very nicely. The light is bright enough to ride safely at speeds similar to daytime. If there is any grief I have with it, it is that the low beam does not light up much when you are cornering. The defined line, tilts with the bike resulting in very little light aimed where you are going. The high takes care of this and doesn't seem to piss off oncoming traffic - at least I don't get people flashing their highs at me. I definitly recommend wiring it so the high and low work together. I have played around with covering the low and you lose a lot of the close stuff when only the high is on.

• Benrod327

Posted October 05, 2007 - 04:00 PM

I think I'm gonna get the SMCR16 HID flood and put them where the front reflectors are now seems like a good place to me.

• bigboy292000

Posted October 05, 2007 - 07:05 PM

I think I'm gonna get the SMCR16 HID flood and put them where the front reflectors are now seems like a good place to me.

exactly what I am thinking

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.