XR650L/R on the highway?

57 replies to this topic
  • xarhtna

Posted October 04, 2007 - 05:54 AM

I'm looking for a dual-purpose bike that I can ride on trails and commute back and forth to and from work.

Work is about 15 mins city and 20 mins highway (90km/h or 55 mph)...

Anyone do this? What kind of gas mileage can I expect? Any mods to be done?

• hondacrf150f1

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:36 AM

ive got 2400 miles on my bike in just under 3 months, around 25-30 miles a day. It gets 35-45 MPG depending on how aggessive you ride. The 650R will cost you a little more, more frequent oil changes, but its definatly just as reliable, and the torque is unbelieveable. If you uncorking it the right way its a beast.

If you do a lot of trails the 650R is better, and it will work great on the highway as well.

• xarhtna

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:37 AM

ive got 2400 miles on my bike in just under 3 months, around 25-30 miles a day. It gets 35-45 MPG depending on how aggessive you ride. The 650R will cost you a little more, more frequent oil changes, but its definatly just as reliable, and the torque is unbelieveable. If you uncorking it the right way its a beast.

If you do a lot of trails the 650R is better, and it will work great on the highway as well.

Do you use the standard off-road tires?

• xarhtna

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:40 AM

Sorry, what does uncorked mean... after-market exhaust?

• martinfan30

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:57 AM

uncorked means to put on free flowing aftermarket exhaust and to rejet the carb with airbox mods. basically let the engine breath easier and produce more power.

if you will do more hiway than trails go with the L, it is a little heavier but more comfy onroad. it can be lightened up quite a bit though, and doesnt make the same power stock as the R.

the R is a desert race bike, depending where you are you will have trouble plating it. much better offroad and more power.

• jonr3

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:29 AM

I ride about 20 miles each way everyday on my 650L. I've put around 5,000 miles on it since I bought it in April. I usually cruise between 65 - 75 miles per hour and average around 50 mpg. I've ridden 400 miles in one day which wasn't too uncomfortable. I'm currently running Dunlop D606s front and rear since I try to take it off-road every weekend.

All in all, I'm very happy with it. It's capable off-road and handles well on the street. Uncorking it REALLY helps!:confused:

• xarhtna

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:43 AM

How many km's should i expect to be able to put on my 650L?

What's the general maintenance schedule?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:52 AM

If you do a lot of trails, the 650R will be faster, which may or may not be better for you. On a really tight trail, the R won't be any faster.

The XRL will go anywhere, is very mellow stock, has more weight and less power than the R, but you'll really never get to a trail and say 'The L won't make this, wish I had an R", unless speed is what you want.

Even saying that, the L is no slouch.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:54 AM

really depends on your maintenance. i would like to see 20k miles out of mine before an overhaul. i may do it sooner to install a cam/hicomp piston though. oil changes at 600 miles, first. then ive been doing it every 1k miles. this includes oil, filter, drain engine/downtube and cleaning downtube screen.

• xarhtna

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:54 AM

If you do a lot of trails, the 650R will be faster, which may or may not be better for you. On a really tight trail, the R won't be any faster.

The XRL will go anywhere, is very mellow stock, has more weight and less power than the R, but you'll really never get to a trail and say 'The L won't make this, wish I had an R", unless speed is what you want.

Even saying that, the L is no slouch.

Dave

Is there any issues riding on the highway though? I plan on going about 20 mins each way at about 90km/h or 55mph...sometimes longer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 04, 2007 - 07:56 AM

the L is great on the hiway. i ride 20 miles each way to work at 65mph with 15/48 gearing. a little buzzy though .

• sj269

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:18 AM

Is your commute 15 plus 20. Or 15 mins or 20 mins dependant of which way you go? Is that one way or round trip? Where would the bike be parked when at work? What kind of off road rider are you? How big/small are you? What type of off road riding do you do? What do your friends ride?

• xarhtna

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:23 AM

Is your commute 15 plus 20. Or 15 mins or 20 mins dependant of which way you go? Is that one way or round trip? Where would the bike be parked when at work? What kind of off road rider are you? How big/small are you? What type of off road riding do you do? What do your friends ride?

We'll say 25 mins one way (50 mins total) on the highway per day.
Bike would be parked outside at work, at a safe place.
I'm very inexperienced, never owned a bike, however I have ridden on the trail.
I'm 6'4", 270lbs
Off road riding would probably be dirt roads, hard packed.
My friends all ride MX bikes...I don't intend on doing any MX.

• martinfan30

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:28 AM

sounds to me like the 650L would be the PERFECT choice for you. it is mellow (powerwise) stock. very torquey smooth power. being a bigger guy, this is also good for that. i'm 6'5" and 230 lbs. ive ridden mine on the hiway 150-160 miles in a day no prob with all my gear on it.

• xarhtna

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:29 AM

sounds to me like the 650L would be the PERFECT choice for you. it is mellow (powerwise) stock. very torquey smooth power. being a bigger guy, this is also good for that. i'm 6'5" and 230 lbs. ive ridden mine on the hiway 150-160 miles in a day no prob with all my gear on it.

That's great to hear... I've wanted a bike since I can remember and I'm finally at a point where I can get one.

• martinfan30

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:33 AM

That's great to hear... I've wanted a bike since I can remember and I'm finally at a point where I can get one.

you sound JUST like my bud brandon, same height, weight, story. he rode my 05 650L 2 yrs ago and was HOOKED! he's been drooling for 2 yrs and just got his 07 650L a few months ago and i've never seen a bigger smile on that guy!
thats him on right, me middle and dad left.

Posted Image
Posted Image

CLICK to enlarge

• Denn10

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:33 AM

X what is your riding level? are you new to bikes or what? Give us some of you MC history and that will help also

• xarhtna

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:39 AM

X what is your riding level? are you new to bikes or what? Give us some of you MC history and that will help also

I've never owned a bike, I rode my buddies '07 KX450F once, a yamaha yz 250 once...i'm very inexperienced.

• sj269

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:59 AM

Yes sounds like the L would be a good start, maybe. I would suggest you buy used and try to get the best deal possible, because the likleyhood of you wanting more bike in the near future is a real possibility. Don't underestimate the speed at which you can gain skills and experience on a bike. I realize nobody is made of money, but if you can find a great deal on a clean used XRL that saw mostly street use then you can use it to get your feet wet off road and commute on, then when you are ready, buy your dedicated off road machine. If your buddies are riding mx bikes then you will be the only one not trailering to the riding spot. I have been on trips where I was the only one not trailering and I always get an uneasy feeling because I have to remember that my bike has to get me home at the end of the day.

Or you can plate an XRR, remember the XRR crosses over into XRL duty much better than the XRL crosses over into XRR duty when pushed. And if your buddies all ride MX bikes....Get the XRR, LEAVE IT CORKED while gaining experience, trailer to the riding spots, commute some days during the week, and when ready, uncork it and you will have a whole new bike and not be wanting for much else. Unless you want to get a dedicated commuter.

Get the XRL and you might out grow it too quick if you take it offroad riding much, especially with buddies on MX bikes.

• martinfan30

Posted October 04, 2007 - 09:10 AM

i disagree, you cant make an R do as well as an L on the street.

on the other hand an L cant do whAT an R does offroad.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.