xr600r vs xr650r vs xr650l vs cr500r

33 replies to this topic
  • HawkGT

Posted October 05, 2007 - 11:02 AM

Those pics are of a XR650L, not an R. You don't have the aluminum frame. Nice bike though. There is a 650L on craigs list locally I looked into. 04, Big bore kit, Big gun exhaust, Xr's Only modded carb, and a Big fat PLASTIC tank. As well as other goodies. Under 4000 miles and in mint condition with the stock tank and plastics 3000$

Do you like what your XRL does for you? I haven't seen one apart yet and haven't ridden one hard yet, but I have seen a 650R run a track and take doubles no prob. Haven't seen one do a triple though. Have you had your bike on a track and play with it yet? I don't know enough about XRL's performance yet.

Just noticed that is your CR, sorry! That is COOL!!! I need to reg mine and take it easy on the road here as to not draw attention!!!!

Apology accepted. I wasn't even sure if you were even talking to me at first. I'm shocked a CR500R could ever be confused with a XR650L. :confused: Pretty sure I know which bikes I have. :confused: Your credibility just took a major hit!!

(just messin' with ya') :confused:

• illusha

Posted October 05, 2007 - 12:20 PM

when I was getting ready to register my XR600 here in Oregon, I called the DMV inspector's office and asked about the exact rules for making a dirt bike street legal... Here's what is needed (in OR) :

- Turn signal lights - if after 1972
- Red reflector on rear
- One head light
- One brake light
- One rear view mirror
- Horn signal
- One brake - hand or foot
- Street legal exhaust
- Licence plate light
- Fenders over all wheels

• Maroast

Posted October 05, 2007 - 12:51 PM

when I was getting ready to register my XR600 here in Oregon, I called the DMV inspector's office and asked about the exact rules for making a dirt bike street legal... Here's what is needed (in OR) :

- Turn signal lights - if after 1972
- Red reflector on rear
- One head light
- One brake light
- One rear view mirror
- Horn signal
- One brake - hand or foot
- Street legal exhaust
- Licence plate light
- Fenders over all wheels

:confused: Thats good news..as Im looking to move up there about a year or so from now. Where do you live? If you live in portland, whats the shortest amount of time it takes you to get to a good riding spot? Thanks.
~tom

• illusha

Posted October 05, 2007 - 02:30 PM

I don't live near PDX, although I may be in a year, but Sand Lake Dune Area is about an hour away or so, some great dune rides and ocean there... Also, Mt.Hood area is less than an hour, great woods there (and skiing in winter)... And Shotgun Creek has excellent trails, many very challenging ones, also within an hour from Portland... :confused: also, check out these links:

HERE is a map that visually shows some OR trails, not free, but can look up below
Oregon Off-Highway Veh Ass- check the pix
Oregon Parks and Rec ATV maps and directions
Oregon Dual Sport site
USDA Forest Service

• dynodaves

Posted March 07, 2010 - 05:27 AM

...Anyone seen or heard of a titled cr500r?

Here's something you dont see everyday...two `97 CR500's, legally street titled in Wisconsin...both living in the same garage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• absynth01

Posted March 07, 2010 - 06:18 AM

Been a while since this thread. I rebuilt the CR500 and fitted with a PC pipe, and reeds, side cover was replaced/upgraded to a newer (91), new water pump, blah blah blah. Took it out and beat up the 525KTM. I also aquired a baja run 650R plated, for a song. That actually has been keeping me busy and off the CR.
I've done some research and pushed a few bikes through DMV here in NY. I will have to say, they are fairly reasonable. Just pay attention to the guy ahead in line that doesn't understand and has to be told 100 times!!! Being nice and knowing the dmv teller's routine goes a long way. I'm prepping to push the CR through this summer when I go in with my multiple reggies. I'd go into details, but.......90% sure it will pass.:thumbsup:

• Arrowsigns

Posted March 07, 2010 - 09:04 AM

Haven't had my CR500R long so I'm still feeling it out. Feels quite a bit faster on pavement then my XR650R. Gearing isn't the same though so it's not quite fair. I should have opportunity to drag them against each other one of these days.

One thing about the 500 is it vibrates quite a bit. That's not good for dualsporting. Like I mentioned, I haven't ridden it much yet....but riding around on surface streets it doesn't take long before the "tingles" set in (hands, butt, insides of my thighs, bottoms of my feet). I think because I'm not moving around on the bike like I would be off-road, the vibes get to me a lot quicker.

Also, the lighting coil options for the 500 aren't as good. There is at least one hi-powered lighting coil but it is very expensive. The more reasonably priced coils are weak (like weaker than stock XR) from what I've gathered. RickyStator's is only 25w.

I'll know more as time passes and I get more experience on the 500, but I'm not worried about it taking the place of my XR650R as my go-to dualsport. Sure, the XR is more "tame". But for day in and day out use, ya' want at least a little bit of civility. I do anyway. I'd ride my XR to work everyday. I don't think I'd ever do that on a CR. If I didn't have that criteria for my main dualsport, the choice might be less clear.

Time will tell which I like better for the desert and trails. I KNOW I'll like the 500 better for the dunes (which is mostly what I bought it for).

Posted Image

Posted Image

She is beastly and the most visceral bike I've owned. Just sitting there idling on the stand it oozes muscle and power. She kinda shakes and shimmies with each irregularly spaced BANG!; like she's wound up super tight just waiting to be let loose. My XR650R seems absolutely pedestrian in comparison.

Nice nice nice. My 97 could use a makeover. For me the 500 just flat gets it on. For short rides the 500 is a hoot.
When we start putting in miles I would rather be on the 650r as its not even close as far as comfort.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scotty2fast

Posted March 07, 2010 - 01:36 PM

Wickedsprint , I'm calling you out . I welcome you out to the SoCal deserts and to put your money where your mouth is , your gonna have to do a lot better than uncorking and jetting your xr650 , to stay with almost ANY CR500 , I also own a highly modded XR600r /630 kit ,and will tell you first hand that my Pig is just that a PIG. when put against my CR500R , different WORLDS altogether . As you mentioned wheel spin , yes a CR500 is gonna give you that . But that is quickly remedied by whats called throttle control. You can lug a 500 just like any pig . I also own a fast cr250 but stock gearing on both bikes the 250 is rung out wfo and my 500 aint even working hard. Dont get me wrong I like all bikes and they all have there place, if your gonna web ride ,well..... dont. Its just gonna make you look bad. Just an FYI a properly geared CR/KX500 for the desert is easily capable of triple digits, if your buddys bike was only capable of 80-85 mph it was because it had track gearing on it. That would also explain your being able to stay with him on your 250. As far as plating go's many states still allow it , but some have strings attached and you would have to check that states local laws. Having friends or family in other states helps alot . Many times plating in another state and the n bringing bike home means having to do nothing more than a title transfer. I will say this the 500 as a street bike will not give that smooth 4stroke power feel , you will notice things on a two stroke more on the road that you dont ever feel in the dirt. Those things can be ironed out some and make it a fun street toy.

• mickoz

Posted March 07, 2010 - 03:37 PM

An XR600 faster than an 650r....Haahahahaha thats funny.

I had a 2002 520exc and had drags against a 650r and 2001 CR500 on pavement numerous times. Both the 650 and 520 walked away from the CR500 on take off. At about 140kmh to 150kmh the 650 would slowly overtake my 520 (my 520 topped out at 160kmh). Then the CR500 would pass both of us strongly and just keep going. That CR500 was POWERFUL.
When we done the same on dirt the CR always got left behind because of wheelspin,it couldnt get its power down. The CR500 owner kicks himself all the time for selling that bike.

Cheers

• ThumpNRed

Posted March 07, 2010 - 03:39 PM

Wickedsprint , I'm calling you out . I welcome you out to the SoCal deserts and to put your money where your mouth is , your gonna have to do a lot better than uncorking and jetting your xr650 , to stay with almost ANY CR500 , I also own a highly modded XR600r /630 kit ,and will tell you first hand that my Pig is just that a PIG. when put against my CR500R , different WORLDS altogether . As you mentioned wheel spin , yes a CR500 is gonna give you that . But that is quickly remedied by whats called throttle control. You can lug a 500 just like any pig . I also own a fast cr250 but stock gearing on both bikes the 250 is rung out wfo and my 500 aint even working hard. Dont get me wrong I like all bikes and they all have there place, if your gonna web ride ,well..... dont. Its just gonna make you look bad. Just an FYI a properly geared CR/KX500 for the desert is easily capable of triple digits, if your buddys bike was only capable of 80-85 mph it was because it had track gearing on it. That would also explain your being able to stay with him on your 250. As far as plating go's many states still allow it , but some have strings attached and you would have to check that states local laws. Having friends or family in other states helps alot . Many times plating in another state and the n bringing bike home means having to do nothing more than a title transfer. I will say this the 500 as a street bike will not give that smooth 4stroke power feel , you will notice things on a two stroke more on the road that you dont ever feel in the dirt. Those things can be ironed out some and make it a fun street toy.

Calling him out :lol:
Did you notice that his post is over two years old and he hasn't posted ANYTHING in over a year?!:banana:
Chances are good he won't be answering your challenge.

• scotty2fast

Posted March 07, 2010 - 05:38 PM

Calling him out :banana:
Did you notice that his post is over two years old and he hasn't posted ANYTHING in over a year?!:lol:
Chances are good he won't be answering your challenge.

Nope and dont care . Its more about putting the facts out there than any challenge . Obviously he was challenged with his info. :banana: Do you really think he would take my challenge anyway ? NOT ! You read it as well , it gets the blood flowing dont it.:banana: Look misinformation spreads faster than good so some honesty among brothers cant be a bad thing, wether he ever see's this post or not. Were all proud of our machines , but some things aren't equal. :banana: lets ride !!

• absynth01

Posted March 08, 2010 - 06:10 AM

That xr600 is built, the original 650R I was refering to was still stock and corked.....but that was years ago!! I still have that 600R and my new 650R whoops it all around. Time to pull the bikes out as winter is slowly going away here!!!!! Trying to decide which bikes to sell is going to be tough!!!:banana:

• usafric

Posted March 08, 2010 - 07:42 PM

I rode a 650r and then swapped to a CR500r at Yuma Sand Dunes. Once I got on the CR I caught up to the XR650 then pulled away from him, and the XR owner could only try and keep up with me. Damn near the fastest I've ever been in the dirt. The CR500 rocks, but I still bought a plated XR650r...

• bcorne

Posted March 09, 2010 - 12:02 PM

get a Honda XL and be done with it! Cheers

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.