Removing dried Loctite?

6 replies to this topic
  • dazzabb

Posted October 04, 2007 - 04:15 AM

Strange question I know, but anyone know if Loctite can be chemically removed / dissolved?

Easy enough to wire brush it from the bolts but what about the captive bolt holes where wirebrushing won't work?

I'm up for a new starter clutch and gear on my WR450 soon and it seems that a few poor punters have had big drama with the 6 bolts coming loose soon after re-assembly, possibly due to threads not being cleaned properly.

I want to avoid those same problems.

Cheers

• NavyNuke

Posted October 04, 2007 - 04:31 AM

solvent, run a tap in the hole, both, or a dental pick with a 90 degree bend on the end thats short enough to fit in the hole and scrape the old stuff out. then blast with compressed air to force out

• frogman

Posted October 04, 2007 - 04:42 AM

Yup, Navy's right, the only way to really get old locktite out is to run a tap down in there. That stuff gets hard as iron.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tmckeown

Posted October 04, 2007 - 04:54 AM

heating up locktite and it will turn up powdery

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:29 AM

You can get the nylon wire brush attachment on a dremel and use that to get most of it off.

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:44 PM

If you are going to chase the threads out with a tap make sure it's a good quality one and not some "poison dogfood/toothpaste, lead contaminated" chinese junk tap. That being said I use taps all the time to clean out the old loctite, etc. Works great.

• Gadsen

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:48 PM

I use a small pointed pick fro those pick sets. Even in bolt holes. A flat bottom tap works well also.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.