how tight do i do up my clutch springs

4 replies to this topic
  • ricfen

Posted October 04, 2007 - 01:14 AM

Hi Guys

finally getting near summer here in australia and time to get by 426 up and running after near killing it last year. (YZ 426 '00)

i am putting together the bottom end. the manual i have says i need to tension the clutch bolts to 10nM. thats extremely light, especially when you consider my torque wrench starts at 30nM.

does this sound right???is there a trick to tensioning the bolts?

i just done them up lightly with a small bit of tension and it feels fine, but thought i would come on here to be sure before i put her back together

cheers

Rick

• ricfen

Posted October 04, 2007 - 01:29 AM

and now to really confuse things

i was reading trough some other posts on here and seen people mentioning not to forget the ball bearing that goes on the end of the long shaft that is inside the clutch housing.... ironically i have a ball bearing left over so i though i better go put it in.
just tried that and with it in there, there is no way the clutch would ever engage. it leave quite a gap between the clutch and the pressure plate.

it does clearly show on a parts diagram i seen on here that it should be there but my manual has no mention of it..... i dont know if the ball bearing came from the bike or was just lying around in my garage

http://www.thumperta...=clutch tension
here is the link of the diagram.
i just read it again and it mentions the splined washer falling off. when the washer was on there i noticed it did fall back off the spline because the spline wasnt long enough. thought that was strange. what is going wrong

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 04, 2007 - 03:37 PM

10Nm is correct (That's 7.2 ft/lb. for the rest of us non-metric folks). It's not uncommon for 3/8" or 1/2" drive torque wrenches not to go down that far. You need a flex beam wrench, or a 1/4" drive. But it's not that big a deal. Just threads, mate. Get them tight enough to stay put, and don't strip them.

On the splined washer staying in place, see if you can pull the main shaft toward you a little as the nut does. The shaft may have drifted back toward the other side of the box.

• matts06yzf

Posted October 04, 2007 - 05:08 PM

IF ya dont believe Gray or your manual here watch this. http://www.motocross...lutch-3962.html

• ricfen

Posted October 04, 2007 - 11:24 PM

thanks guys
gotta be one of the most informative forums ive been on

appreciated

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.