xr650l popping on decel-help

4 replies to this topic
  • A-10 Crewdog

Posted October 03, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I am looking for a little advise from you "L' experts out there. I have an 06 with an FMF headpipe, Q muffler, snorkle removed, UNI filter and a Mikuni 42mm pumper from XR's Only. The bike runs great with plenty of power and throttle response with no flat spots. On decel from rated speed or between shifts I get a slight pop from the pipe. I thought it might be lean on the bottom so I went to a larger pilot but all that did was change my air screw adjustment, and the popping was still there. The air screw is at 1.5 turns out and idles great. The idle gets erratic at 2.5 turns out and .5 turns out so I think I am correct with the pilot. The Mikuni tuning guide tells me that some free flowing exhausts can cause this without being lean. I really did not think the "Q" would flow that much more to cause this. Any help would be great. Thanks!

A-10 Crewdog

• Bibleman

Posted October 03, 2007 - 05:26 PM

Make sure you do the rest of the carb mods for one thing. Also, make sure the vacum line to the enricher is hooked up properly. It's the thing on the throttle side of the carb that has two screws holding a small plate on it. I have a similar set-up and my popping is almost completely gone but not totally. Don't forget to get rid of the smog stuff too - that's the most important step in reducing or eliminating the popping.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted October 03, 2007 - 07:45 PM

sounds like you have the carb tuned pretty well. if its just a slight pop with no driveability issues, dont worry. as long as your temp is not getting too high. do the smog removal too.

• Denn10

Posted October 03, 2007 - 08:58 PM

you still have the smog stuff on it?

• A-10 Crewdog

Posted October 04, 2007 - 02:36 PM

The smog stuff is gone. Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.