Water works?

3 replies to this topic
  • dkuntz

Posted January 27, 2001 - 11:07 AM

I recently purchased a 98 WR400 and love it. When I first start my bike in the cold weather after settting for a week I will get a little antifreeze dripping from the pinhole on my water pump. I went to my dealer and was going to get a new water pump seal, but he said if my bike had been setting for a while that this would happen becasue the seals get dry or something. Should I go ahead and replace the water pump seal anyways or is my dealer correct? This doesn't happen all of the time just once in a while. Seems as if it only does it when it is cold out (30 degrees or so), but I can't verify that.

Please help.

Doug

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted January 27, 2001 - 01:02 PM

Yes, I can agree with the dealer on that, In fact, my 00 WR did that very thing last weekend. I started it for the first time since November last weekend, and it left a 1 inch round puddle of coolant when first started. (it was 18 degrees F). By the way, I couldn't believe how easy it started after sitting that long. About 10 kicks, and about 6 twists of the throttle. Who says these things are hard to start?!!

------------------
00 WZ400
01 Yamaha Raptor
99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
99 Yamaha Warrior

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 30, 2001 - 07:30 PM

Doug,

Your local dealer may be right, but I'd keep an eye on it. If it continues to leak, buy the outer seal and replace it. It is very easy (with the help of your manual) and the seal is inexpensive (less than $10 if I remember right). The water pump seals on the 98 and 99 WR did have some problems and were prone to leaking. Mine leaked on my 99 WR but replacing it was a simple and inexpensive task.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 30, 2001 - 07:31 PM

Doug,

Your local dealer may be right, but I'd keep an eye on it. If it continues to leak, buy the outer seal and replace it. It is very easy (with the help of your manual) and the seal is inexpensive (less than $10 if I remember right). The water pump seals on the 98 and 99 WR did have some problems and were prone to leaking. Mine leaked on my 99 WR but replacing it was a simple and inexpensive task.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.