99 wr400 and 00 wr400 differences or tips

3 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 30, 2000 - 09:47 PM

I just bought a 99 wr400 with only 70 miles on it. Perfect condition till I dumped it a few times. I raised the forks, set sag, dialed the clickers, never have fouled plug, pulled the airbox cover and baffle. Love the bike. Then my buddy bought new 00 wr400 and I rode it. It handles way better. Bars feel more forward and comfortable standing up and it has way way more power. What can I do besides buying a 00 or 01? Need low budget stuff not $600 scott stuff.
99 wr400

• Taffy

Posted December 01, 2000 - 01:52 AM

your friends bike has a smaller tank making it easier to get forward. the handlebars were moved forward for this year & this is why he can move about & it feels better stood up etc.

his bike shouldn't be any quicker than yours. whilst the bike has a better set up this year i don't think that anyone has made a power increase claim.

what about the difference in gearing?
is your slow & UNDERPERFORMING?

look for threads on this site regarding top clamps that have variable bar mounts. try to go to a set of protapers at the same time.

occasionally YZ tanks get sold here & thats what you really need for a local thrash. if you're doing longer distances for the day etc, try to buy an IMS, Clarke or a Ty Davis tank. the Ty sounds like it's the best but the finish is sloppy. the Clarke, which i've got, is beautifully finished. got mine from North County Yamaha for $125.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted December 01, 2000 - 07:00 AM

On YZs the chassis geometry changed a bit from ’99 to ’00, the section of frame behind the steering head was shortened. The bars were also moved forward like Taffy mentioned. I’m not sure but I imagine the WR uses the same frame.

I think Scott’s makes a triple clamp set that (more or less) duplicates the offset of the ’00 that you can try on your ’99.

• 123michaelg

Posted January 18, 2014 - 01:57 PM

Most of us cant get even 25% out of the bike we have, but we all love trying.
I have found that if you enjoy tweeking and playing with after market goodies you can make ANY bike a rocket and a blast to ride.
Concentrate on your bike set up. Read all the forums. Ride more with riders like yourself and just have fun with what you have.
Otherwise, go buy a brand new one and you will still spend a lot of money on upgrades and add ons.
Good luck and ride safe!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.