how far on reserve?

9 replies to this topic
  • xr650Lbenbriand

Posted October 03, 2007 - 06:15 AM

i am wondering how far i will make it (highway) on my 2001 XR650L (stock tank) when i hit reserve because i dont want to find out the hard way lol

thanks

• martinfan30

Posted October 03, 2007 - 06:26 AM

i am wondering how far i will make it (highway) on my 2001 XR650L (stock tank) when i hit reserve because i dont want to find out the hard way lol

thanks

do what i did and strap a 1 gallon gas can to your fender rack!

after i put my fcr on i hit res. at 80-85 miles if ive been conservative. then i figured you can get another 20 miles on that.

• Denn10

Posted October 03, 2007 - 07:17 AM

stock tank is 1/2 gal reserve so your not going to far since some is on the far side of the tank too. prolly 20 like martin said, ive gotten about 12 or so on mine and was sweating the whole way cuz i knew it wasnt alot of fuel.

• XRLMAL

Posted October 03, 2007 - 08:35 AM

Yes 20 miles is about right... I found out the hard way!!! I had to push the bike for 3 miles before I found a petrol station. Unfortunatly after filling up I forgot to turn the valve back to "on" so after more riding and draining the tank I heard the familiar popping and missing. No problem I thought switch to reserve !!! reach down ... SH*T

• Denn10

Posted October 03, 2007 - 09:34 AM

Yes 20 miles is about right... I found out the hard way!!! I had to push the bike for 3 miles before I found a petrol station. Unfortunatly after filling up I forgot to turn the valve back to "on" so after more riding and draining the tank I heard the familiar popping and missing. No problem I thought switch to reserve !!! reach down ... SH*T

OHHH LOL thats definitely learning the hard way!!!! TWICE too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AtomicGeo

Posted October 03, 2007 - 10:52 AM

Stock jetting, I get 55 mpg, 0.6 gal x 55 mpg = 33 miles ....somehow I don't believe this, I would recommend not relying on more than 25 miles.

Geo

• xr650Lbenbriand

Posted October 03, 2007 - 11:22 AM

ok thanks guys good to know

• timothys

Posted October 03, 2007 - 12:25 PM

I have gotten as little as 15 miles before I ran out
on my 05, I found that I can lay the bike on it's side (left)
and drain the gas over to the side of the tank with the petcock
I can get about three more miles from it

• martinfan30

Posted October 03, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Stock jetting, I get 55 mpg, 0.6 gal x 55 mpg = 33 miles ....somehow I don't believe this, I would recommend not relying on more than 25 miles.

Geo

i dont know how you get that good MPG! is it all stock or what?

• AtomicGeo

Posted October 03, 2007 - 02:04 PM

i dont know how you get that good MPG! is it all stock or what?

No, not stock. Last ride I did over the weekend on trails. My odometer read 165 miles, and I used 3.039 gals of to refill, which means 54 mpg. It was a camp & ride so I was loaded down with saddle bags, tent, and sleeping bag, meaning my speeds were mostly under 50 mph.

Conditions on my bike:
1.) Desnorkeled
2.) K&N filter
3.) smog crap removed
4.) stock jetting
5.) WB XCR exhaust.
6.) aftermarket plastic tank (OEM tank is heavy)
7.) Northern New Mexico altitude mainly between 6000 and 8000 ft

Geo

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.