03 wr450f skid plate?

6 replies to this topic
  • gsully

Posted October 03, 2007 - 05:06 AM

can anyone out there recommend a heavy duty skid plate for my 03 wr450f, as i drive in some pretty rocky terrain.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted October 03, 2007 - 05:35 AM

I have the "Utah Cycle Sport" skid plate on my 03. Had it since Feb. of 03 . It has taken some hits but other than the underside being sandblasted from the front tire it is in very good shape. I had a Utah on my WR 400 before and thats why I went with them again. Strong, lightweight and good side coverage, plus it mounts easily and didn't cost an arm and a leg.:confused:
Jim

• markseaba

Posted October 03, 2007 - 06:24 AM

I have the "Utah Cycle Sport" skid plate on my 03. Had it since Feb. of 03 . It has taken some hits but other than the underside being sandblasted from the front tire it is in very good shape. I had a Utah on my WR 400 before and thats why I went with them again. Strong, lightweight and good side coverage, plus it mounts easily and didn't cost an arm and a leg.:confused:
Jim

+1, well actually, +3 since I have bought 3 Utah Cylce skid plates. They are great. ALSO, you can buy the one on TT since it is the same one.:confused:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Vegemite_luva

Posted October 03, 2007 - 10:02 AM

I just bought a composite skid plate for my 03 made by Hyde Racing. I have yet to mount it and try it out but here are a few reasonsn why I like it over traditional aluminum, carbon fiber, and plastic ones.

-Full underbelly coverage, including the footpeg frame rails
-Heat resistant
-Abrasion resistant
-Will not dent
-Will not crack or fatigue like carbon fiber skid plates do
-Absorbs sound instead of reflecting it up as do aluminum plates
-Lightest amongst all comparable skid plates
-Won't corrode like aluminum
-Teflon impregnation makes the plate slippery to mud, dirt, and skidding over obstacles
-Best of all I got for only $60 off of Ebay

You can read about it at www.hyderacing.com

• bg10459

Posted October 03, 2007 - 03:09 PM

I've got a GYT-R full skid plate. It's 3/16" thick, bolts in the stock holes and gets beat to hell, but nothing has been damaged that it should have protected.
See my garage.

• tmckeown

Posted October 04, 2007 - 06:34 AM

+1 for GYTR

• gsully

Posted October 05, 2007 - 05:18 AM

thanks for the advice. went with the utah sports skid plate.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.