Are there any cheap Suspension mods?

47 replies to this topic
  • Frank ZX

Posted October 02, 2007 - 10:17 PM

Are there any mod's I can do to the suspension on my XRL to tighten it up?I only weigh about 165lbs.,I'm going to do a track day(supermoto).I was hoping to stiffen it up a little on the cheap side.:confused:

• Trail Rider 7

Posted October 02, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Turn the big nut on the rear spring.

• Denn10

Posted October 03, 2007 - 05:57 AM

have you set your rear sag ever? Sag setup is very important in suspension, it sounds like the springs are fine for your weight. You can stiffen up your compression settings if your sag is correct and see how you like it. Another easy thing is making sure you keep all the linkage lubed up well, it really should be taken apart and greased up once a year.

• martinfan30

Posted October 03, 2007 - 06:33 AM

put a fork brace on. it really stiffens up the front. 80 bucks tho.

• Rockjockey

Posted October 03, 2007 - 09:40 AM

+ 1 for Denn10's advise. Set your sag and play with the adjusters until it feels right to you.

• heavyhitter

Posted October 03, 2007 - 09:50 AM

Adjust the preload in the back. add some pvc pipe to add preload to the front.

• Denn10

Posted October 03, 2007 - 11:48 AM

Adjust the preload in the back. add some pvc pipe to add preload to the front.

Just remember that just torquing down your springs may make your suspension a bit stiffer but thats not always a good thing. Like you say your going to a sumo track and if your springs are over torqued then you might not get as good of handling in corners as if it were just set up with good sag. You also get a little more kickback when you load up the suspension and your springs are over tightened.

• Frank ZX

Posted October 03, 2007 - 11:57 AM

have you set your rear sag ever? Sag setup is very important in suspension, it sounds like the springs are fine for your weight. You can stiffen up your compression settings if your sag is correct and see how you like it. Another easy thing is making sure you keep all the linkage lubed up well, it really should be taken apart and greased up once a year.

I have heard the term,but how do you set the sag?

• heavyhitter

Posted October 03, 2007 - 12:07 PM

I have heard the term,but how do you set the sag?

Measure something like the middle of your rear turn signal to the middle of your axle bolt with the bike unladden. Now sit on the bike and measure how far it goes down. I run 4 inches of "race sag" You will need someone to help you with this. I knwo on motocross bike race sag is always 4inch or atleast that what is used to always be, I set my RM250, CR125 and XR650L that way.

• XR680RR

Posted October 03, 2007 - 01:45 PM

Starting out with your bike on a stand so, both tires are off the ground. Measure from the axle to just behind the side cover to the rear fender. This measurement will be close to 22~24 inches. Right that measurement down. Lets say it was 24 inches Now with the bike on the ground get on the bike ready to ride. That is everything; Helmet, boots, tools, drinking water…..everything. Having someone balance the bike for you stand on the pegs while someone else gets another measurement. Let’s say that measurement is 20 inches, you have a race sage of 4 inches. Race sag should be between 3.75 ~ 4 inches (80mm ~ 100mm).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frank ZX

Posted October 03, 2007 - 01:52 PM

Starting out with your bike on a stand so, both tires are off the ground. Measure from the axle to just behind the side cover to the rear fender. This measurement will be close to 22~24 inches. Right that measurement down. Lets say it was 24 inches Now with the bike on the ground get on the bike ready to ride. That is everything; Helmet, boots, tools, drinking water…..everything. Having someone balance the bike for you stand on the pegs while someone else gets another measurement. Let’s say that measurement is 20 inches, you have a race sage of 4 inches. Race sag should be between 3.75 ~ 4 inches (80mm ~ 100mm).

OK,Then I adjust the spanner nut to adjust the sag?

• Denn10

Posted October 03, 2007 - 01:54 PM

yep the more you tighten the spring the less sag you will get. when you get a chance to check it tell us what it was at before you made adjustments ok. 4" should be ok for an L im not exact what an expert would say but youll be fine with between 95-100mm or 3 7/8-4 inch

• gialinn

Posted October 03, 2007 - 01:55 PM

As suggested, play with the clickers ans adjusters until the bike feels good. Then, if you won't have time to redo this at the track, I would suggest setting it a tad stiffer that you like. Chances are you are going to push it harder at the track then you anticipate you will. That is why MX bikes are sprung a bit stiffer than say your xr. You use the suspension hard at a track, especially if you jump.

• Frank ZX

Posted October 03, 2007 - 02:12 PM

yep the more you tighten the spring the less sag you will get. when you get a chance to check it tell us what it was at before you made adjustments ok. 4" should be ok for an L im not exact what an expert would say but youll be fine with between 95-100mm or 3 7/8-4 inch

I just put the bike on a stand.The measurment was 24in..Then I lowered the bike.:confused: When I stood on the pegs,it measured 21in..What should I do?leave it alone or loosen the nut?

• XR680RR

Posted October 03, 2007 - 02:22 PM

Loosen the sag till you have 3.75~4" of sage. Not enough sag is just as bad as not enough. It has to do with the angle of the spring coils. Per-load on any spring only effects the first inch of spring compression. I learn this off of this sight. http://xr650r.borynack.com/
it's hard to find all the links and a lot of the links don't work anymore.......Hey, B-dub fix your site!:confused:

• Frank ZX

Posted October 03, 2007 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for all your help!

• heavyhitter

Posted October 03, 2007 - 03:22 PM

I just found this for you http://www.dirtrider...bike/index.html

It is pretty good to get your sag set perfectly.

• Denn10

Posted October 03, 2007 - 09:03 PM

Loosen the sag till you have 3.75~4" of sage. Not enough sag is just as bad as not enough.

yeah if you want keep it at about 3 7/8 inch, did you have all your gear on boots helmet you need it all on to get a good setting. Where are you going to sumo the L?

• Frank ZX

Posted October 03, 2007 - 10:16 PM

yeah if you want keep it at about 3 7/8 inch, did you have all your gear on boots helmet you need it all on to get a good setting. Where are you going to sumo the L?

I sat a 10lb.weight on the seat with me.The track is in Talladaga Alabama,towards the end of the month.

• Frank ZX

Posted October 06, 2007 - 10:37 AM

I was just out in the garage and took the rubber caps off the bottom of the forks.The clicker or valve was 3 clicks from full seat,so I backed it out 1 click.Can I ride the bike with the valve at full seat?

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.